TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 131

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Jan 25 07:21:24 PST 2007

January 25, 200000000000007

Dear Peoples,

	Yesterday was my turn at the writers'
workshop on Creative Non-Fiction to have my work
critiqued.  I'd selected four Life Stories and
printed them out for the class.  They went home
with them last week along with a sheet of my
questions, just hints for what I wanted to know
from the exercize.  And yesterday, I sat there
while they all talked for four minutes each about
my excerpts.  I have thin skin is what I
discovered again. I thought maybe I'd grown older
and wiser, more level headed, sturdier.  But I
hadn't.  The odd thing is, it was mostly praise.
They think I'm very funny, and they care about
the person in the stories (that was one of my
questions:  Is there any reason at all that you
care about the narrator?  Why?)  I included the
zoo story, that awful thing with my father.  And
they were all horrified at the scene.  But some
said it was too much information, and the piece
wandered, which it did.  All the things everyone
said were legitimate criticisms, and the rule
from the instructor who is excellent is never to
be negative.  Never tear anything apart.  Say
things in a positive way.  So I figured that
whatever they said that was partially negative
was held back quite a bit and reworded for my
comfort.  When I took home their comments and
read them later, I cringed.  This morning I felt
like maybe I shouldn't be a writer.  Well, I
shouldn't if I can't take the well meant comments
of a few friendly readers.  Why is my skin so
thin?  Why is it so hard for me to take the
commentary?  Why do I torture myself so?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The rules as practiced in pre-school

	I looked all over for a co-operative
nursery school.  This was going to be necessary
if I wanted to keep Feyna and Meyshe together.
Meyshe was no where near ready to be left off at
a pre-school with your average care giver.  This
was a job for MOM, and if I were going to be
there, it had to be a co-operative.  When I was
little, co-operatives were the very thing.  They
were everywhere, and all the progressive mothers
put their kids in co-ops.  But between my
childhood and my children's childhoods came the
women's movement and now most of the mommies were
at their high paying prestigious jobs.  What they
needed was day care: drop the kids off and go to
work.  Come back at the end of the day and pick
them up.  But when I got pregnant, and thought
about raising a child, I decided I wanted to be
there for the raising.  Besides, I had no job to
show up to.  No one hires expressive artists to
express themselves for a living.  Maybe if I'd
had a career in the arts, was recognized and
rewarded for my work, I wouldn't have had
children, and that will just have to remain a
mystery forever.  Nothing like  a mystery forever.

	At the point at which Meyshe and Feyna
were ready for pre-school, Meyshe didn't have a
diagnosis yet, but I knew he was not growing up
along the same path as the rest of the  little
toddlers.  He ran around the house listening only
to his own internal voice, unable to communicate
verbally, but capable of writing and reading
notes.  He wrestled free of standard discipline
and only took my direction.  He avoided eye
contact.  He busied himself grabbing and
manipulating whatever he could find, spinning pot
lids, and using letters, refrigerator magnets
alphabets, to spell.  He spelled and spelled,
fascinated by the putting together of symbols to
make words that meant something in the physical
world.  I would engage him with conversation,
back and forth on the floor with letters from the
pile of letters.

	Meyshe

	Mama

	Meyshe letters

	Meyshe alphabet

	alphabet words

	spell alphabet

	elephant

	big elephant

	elephant boy

	It was pretty much a ten tantrum day.
When the order of his world fell apart, or when
he was denied what he wanted to do, he would
scream and run.  I would have to get him in a
hold, cross my legs around him and wrap my arms
around his arms, holding his hands across his
chest.  He'd kick and scream, arch his back,
shriek, shake his head.  Sometimes I had to lie
down on top of him.  But if I could keep him held
tightly, immobilize him, he would eventually calm
down and we could all go on with our lives, until
the next tantrum.  He needed this desperately,
because the world was making no sense to him, and
usual physical stimuli like sound, vision, and
touch were distorted to him.  Sometimes in the
midst of racing around throwing things, he would
come running to me and grab my hands, wrap
himself up in my embrace and force me to sit him
down and put him in the tantrum hold.

	You don't drop this guy off at a day care
center.  So I found a co-operative, run by
parents and a teacher named Dianne.  Dianne had
the magic touch with children.  They followed her
around and watched her face for cues on what to
do, how to react.  Dianne was an amazon.  Must
have been six feet tall, and strong.  She had a
curly mop of dark brown hair, and always dressed
in jeans.  She was used to the adoration of her
charges, and she didn't share the caretaker
position gracefully.  When it was the mothers' or
fathers' days to do school duty, Dianne gave the
orders, and the parents took them.

	That is, except for me, because I was
there every day watching over Meyshe.  He seldom
joined in the simple games the kids were learning
to play, like duck, duck, goose, which I never
figured out myself.  He preferred to sit in the
playground and sift dirt through his fingers,
watching it fall to the earth where he'd pick it
up and sift it down through his fingers again.
The group games were just too much for him.  Too
many faces, too many rules, too much eye contact.
He related to the people in his family, but not
to these thousands and millions of others who
invaded his small world and demanded too much of
him.

	What he liked to do was jigsaw puzzles.
There was a cupboard full of them, and he could
do the baby puzzles blind folded with one arm
tied behind his back.  So, I found the puzzles
meant for the kindergartners, and those came
closer to his capabilities.  He'd learn a puzzle
the first time through, then he'd have memorized
it.  He'd do the puzzle from the top down.  Then
he'd do it from a corner spreading outward, then
just placing each piece where it was going to
wind up and filling in the blanks.  The puzzles
began to bore him; they were too easy.  I brought
puzzles from home and donated them to the school.
Two hundred, three hundred piece puzzles.  And
Meyshe would master them the same way he mastered
the smaller ones.  But this was deemed illegal by
Dianne.  He was not to use the kindergartners'
puzzles and I was told to gather the puzzles I'd
donated and bring them back home with me.  They
were age inappropriate.  It didn't do any good to
argue with Dianne.  But this limited what Meyshe
could do during play time.  He was back outside
sifting through the dirt.

	Dianne actually resented Meyshe, and even
though I was grateful to the co-operative for
accepting Meyshe, I couldn't stop myself from
feeling bitter about Dianne's bias against him.
She plain didn't like him.  He wouldn't respond
with the proper adulation due her, and he didn't
listen to her words.  He was different, very
different.  She took no pleasure in his amazing
abilities.  The kindergartners did.  They came
rushing in a group to surround him.  One of them
said, "Watch this!  Okay, Meyshe, spell rainbow."
She gave him a piece of paper and a crayon.  He
wrote out RAINBOW on the paper and turned it back
to her.  "See?!" she said to the others, and they
all ran away.  Dianne saw this as a disruption of
the regular order, and told the kindergartners to
leave Meyshe alone.  I did what I could to
educate Dianne about Meyshe's special needs, but
I was a resounding failure.  I flunked.  She
wanted him like the others, and he wouldn't be.

	On the last day of school before the
summer break, all the children gathered up their
drawings and constructions to bring home.  Dianne
was waving goodbye to each little child, and each
little child waved back, thanked Dianne for a
wonderful year and danced off.  When it came
Meyshe's turn, there was a sort of a stand off.
Dianne stood there waiting for Meyshe to conform
to the procedure, but he didn't.

	"Goodbye, Meyshe.  Have a nice summer,"
she said.  Meyshe ducked his head down (duck,
duck, goose) and ran at Dianne who was caught
completely off guard.  He rammed her with his
hard bony skull right on her pubic bone.  She
gave a cry of pain and surprise.  I asked Dianne
if she were all right, and I apologized profusely
for Meyshe.  "Just go, she seethed, through
clenched teeth.

	Feyna had been watching all this, of
course, and on our way out she asked me, "Will
Dianne let me come back now?"

	"You didn't do anything to her," I answered.

	"But I'm Meyshe, too," she said.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA