TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 129

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Jan 23 07:41:50 PST 2007

January 23, 20000000007

Dear Occupant,

	I got tired of waking up too early and
dragging myself around all day, so I decided to
make it official and I just set my alarm for when
I keep waking up.  This way I did it on purpose.
I'm sure you understand.  It was a tactical move.
I'm onto myself.

                                      ‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰‰

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
                                       ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

The auditioner

	I told Dweller we needed to separate for
two weeks so we could figure things out.  Then I
had to have a place to stay.   I don't know why I
decided to be the one to vacate, leaving Dweller
in the fairy tale house we'd just bought.  Maybe
because I was the one who wanted the separation,
therefore I was leaving rather than kicking
Dweller out.  And this two weeks separation.  I'd
never heard of a two week separation that wound
up with the two parties getting back together.  I
need two weeks to think about it seemed like a
bit of denial.  But I still needed a place to
stay.  I went to my cello teacher, Millie Rosner,
who held court over a flock of cellists of every
age, and I asked if I could stay with her.  This
was a logical move on my part, and also a stupid
one.

	It was logical and stupid for the same
reason, because taking lessons from Millie was
more than just taking cello lessons, showing up
for an hour every week, then going home to
practice, then showing up again the following
week.  With Millie, it was more like joining a
benign religious cult where everything centered
around the cello and Millie.  She was not without
her vanity, and she luxuriated in the bath of
attention that twenty students thinking of her as
their guru provided.  There was the lesson one
day, and once a week there were critiques where
all, the cellists hung around, each performed
what he or she was working on, and everyone else
critiqued the player:  "Coming along nicely,
Sean, but the vibrato's too wide, and you're not
getting an even tone in twenty third position on
the A string."  Twenty third position would be
like the left hand, the one that presses down the
strings, playing way up on the fingerboard near
where the bow works across them.  I tell you this
because I don't expect everyone to be a cellist
like Millie did.

	At the close of each day, cellists who
lurked about, or commuted, or were just driven to
come back for another evening at Millie's feet
would hang around her, maybe stay for dinner,
maybe just forage in her refrigerator.  She
always had fresh baked something set out for the
students, and almost always there was an
assemblage of cellists for dinner.  Millie had
extra rooms in her house, a big old brown shingle
on Russell Street in Berkeley.  There was always
at least one person staying in the rooms, maybe
their parents had kicked them out.  Maybe they
were down on their luck.  Maybe they were taking
on a trial separation from a spouse.  The rooms
were nearly always in use for something.

	So asking Millie was logical.  And she
had an extra room for me.  She opened the door
onto a large bedroom with bare walls and all the
blinds pulled down over the windows, so that the
only light coming in was the slatted shoots of
lights rushing in from between the blinds.  I was
very grateful and asked if there were anything I
could do to repay her.  "Just practice," she
said.  I went home, fetched some of my things and
brought them back to my new room.  I contemplated
the bare walls.  There had to be something more
colourful in the room, some decoration, some
attention to aesthetics.  There were picture
hooks sticking out of the walls, absent any
artwork.  They must have been left over from a
previous owner who had covered the wall with
family portraits, because every few inches, there
was a rectangle of darker paint on the wall where
a picture had been, a nail in the middle.

	I decided to hang up my clothes as
decoration.  A magenta skirt here, a flowered
blouse there, outrageous pants over here.  It
created just the effect I was looking for:
colourful wandering Jew.  In the next few days,
Millie worked me hard knowing that part of my
decision to leave my husband for two weeks was to
focus on the cello.  She suggested I go
professional and audition for the Oakland
Symphony.  The pay was abysmal, and the perks
even worse.  No one could live on a musician's
salary.  Everyone had to hold down other jobs,
too.  But it was the right direction to go.  The
auditions were in a week, and it took me four
days to get the cello parts so I could practice
them.  That gave me three days to rehearse, which
is not enough.  You can't cram for a performance
exam.  The learning process needs to be tended
like a garden, planted in the spring to push up
daisies in the summer.  When I finally got the
parts to practice they were rough: Richard
Strauss's Merry Pranks of Till Eulenspiegel,
chromatic.  There are published editions of
excerpts from famous orchestral pieces.  Where
they are the thorniest, that's where the excerpt
is captured.  I chewed on that for eight hours a
day for three days, but that was not enough.  The
auditioner was also supposed to perform  one
movement of a well known concerto from the
western classical repertoire.  Well, this would
suit me.  I'd been working on the Haydn cello
concerto for a few weeks.  I could do the first
movement.  I tried to get ready for this audition
but this auditioner didn't have enough lead time,
and feared the worst.  Nevertheless, she showed
up at the designated time and place.  They usher
you in, check your name off on their list and
show you to a practice room.  They say, "We'll
come to get you.  Relax."  Oh, sure.

	I took out my cello and sat there
listening.  On all sides of me were audible
greetings from other auditioners: violinists
playing the Mendelssohn and Beethoven concertos,
clarinettists rehearsing the Mozart clarinett
concerto, violists riffing through Herold in
Italy.  I tightened my bow and began with the
Haydn cello concerto.  I played a few lines, then
stopped to contemplate.  Next door to me came the
report of another cellist playing the Haydn
concerto, only much faster.  I put my head down
and wept.  What hopeless stuff was this?  I
loosened my bow.  I sang softly to myself some
calming psalms and I hoped for the best.

	Soon enough the messenger came for me.  I
followed.  He brought me out to the stage in the
vast auditorium.  The judges were out there in
the front row, but the auditioner was prevented
from seeing them, as they were prevented from
seeing her, because there are screens to hide the
identities.  When I set up on the stage, I was
greeted by Larry Duckles, whom I knew and had
played with many times.  It was his job to
introduce the auditioner.

	"This is auditioner number five," he sang out to the theater.

	"Tell the auditioner to play one prepared
movement from a concerto in the standard
repertoire," came the order from the judges.

	Larry looked at me.  "You ready?" he said in a whisper.

	"As ready as I'm going to be."

	I got myself into my trance and began.
There was something wrong.  I kept forging ahead,
but I wasn't getting the tone I usually got.  I
was confused.  It was as if someone had drained
all the sound from my instrument.  I finished my
piece.  I looked at Larry and said, "The
auditioner sucked."  He answered, "The auditioner
always sucks."  Then I noticed what was wrong.
I'd forgotten to tighten my bow.  This would be
like an oboist leaving the reed at home, or a
pianist playing with gloves on.  I had sabotaged
myself.  Tobie didn't want to play in the Oakland
Symphony for $5,000 a year.  And so Tobie didn't.
The auditioner left the stage after scrawling
through Till Eulenspiegel's awful pranks and
Stravinsky's Firebird.  She packed up and went
back to Millie's, afraid to tell what had
happened.  It was just too embarrassing, too
neurotic, too funny.  Dark humour, boys.  Dark
humour.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA