TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 116

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Jan 10 07:58:08 PST 2007

January 10, 200000000007

Dear Living Beings,

	Strange dreams of staying at a summer
camp that had a huge mansion for its central
building.  It reminded me of my elementary school
in Berkeley: a big imitation Tudor thing with
sweeping staircases.  There were two teenage
girls who wanted me to go to the swimming pool
with them, and bring my mother, so my mother and
I could fend off some boys who'd been trailing
them.  We were supposed to get in the pool with
them.  But of course, I couldn't find my swim
suit.  It had gotten packed up in my suit case
which was in the car, and I didn't have the keys
to the car.  I wound up having to ask villainman
for the keys, only he wasn't a villain quite in
this dream.  He was in a darkened room, with
others who were used to the dim lighting, talking
with parents of campers.  This was visiting day.
I asked him for the keys to the car so I could
get my suitcase and remove my swimsuit (I
actually don't even have a swimsuit).  He made
some comment to someone else still involved in
the conversation they were having in the dim lit
room, and he reached in his pocket, brought the
key out, and handed it to me.  Then I remembered
we were divorced and he was villainman.  I
wondered how it was that he was so civil to me,
and how my suitcase had wound up in his car.  But
I ran off to fetch it.

	Then, I couldn't find my room in the
mansion.  It was a communal room shared with
about ten other campers.  Everything was boarded
up.  Where was I going to change into my
swimsuit?  The girls who had asked for my
protection were all changed and ready to go to
the pool.  I asked them, as we headed off there,
if the protection they requested was just for
show, and they really did want these offending
boys to catch up with them, but wanted the
appearance of distance.  So should I do my job
well or poorly?

	This must have been the day that everyone
goes home.  There were going to be performances
for the parents, and then later on, campers would
be taken away by their parents.  There were cooks
in the kitchen slicing huge swaths of meat off of
larger hunks of meat.  They were trimming, but
there was more trim than hunk of meat.  I saw all
that wasted protein that they were going to throw
away, and I thought I should really rescue it and
feed some people.  The cooks were also busy
making desserts, little individual cakes with
astounding decorations on them.  Everyone was to
get three little cakes.  They were all lined up
on trays and put in a huge freezer with a glass
door.  There was condensation on the glass and
someone had written into the frost:  "Impeach
God. This is going on too long."

	And that was my night.

                                  ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

ÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏ

The stores on Grub Road

	On Grub Road in Silver Spring, Maryland,
just down the street from our house were a number
of businesses.  There was a delicatessen, a five
and dime, and a drug store with a soda fountain
in it.  There were other stores, but these are
the ones I remember.  The delicatessen had a long
counter with stools standing up to it, tables and
booths.  The booths had little jukeboxes in them,
and you could flip through the pages by
manipulating the metal tabs that poked up through
the top of the jukebox and moved in an arc.  Each
page had the songs printed out and each song was
given a combination of a letter and numbers, like
B15, or D 36.  You'd put your coin in the slot,
then punch the letters and numbers in, and pretty
soon your song came up on the jukebox, piped in
all over the restaurant.  It was high tech back
then, and very impressive to a little girl who
had just ordered a pastrami sandwich that she
couldn't possibly finish.

	From what I remember about the deli,
there was never anyone in the place but we, my
mother, my father, my sister and I; I don't even
remember anyone behind the counter, nor anyone
who came to bring us our food, but of course that
can't be the case.  Still I remember the place
empty.  We always sat in a booth, and I always
begged to tell the jukebox to play a song, and it
didn't much matter what song, as long as I got to
put the coin in and depress the letter and
numbers.  When you punched in D57, you could hear
clicks and sliding of disks and little motors
whirring.  That was if you stood near the big
jukebox in the far end of the deli and put your
ear to it.  I always liked doing that.  Run and
get a seat in the booth.  Order a pastrami
sandwich that I couldn't possibly finish.  Put
the coins in the coin holes and press the code
for a song, then jump up from, or crawl under the
table and slap my ear to the jukebox.  Sometimes,
if I looked very carefully into the jukebox's
glass front, I could see the mechanism working:
the metal arm scanning and fetching the record,
lifting it and stealing it from its roost, then
flipping it onto the turntable where the needle
would settle down on it while the record spun
round.  Then the sound would come out.  Who cared
about the pastrami?  Well, maybe I cared about
the coleslaw.

	The five and dime was a big barn of a
place, and all the shelves were packed with
products.  It was a hardware store, too, so there
were always men in there, gazing at the walls
full of nails, fittings, wires, tools, nuts and
bolts, all the things my father coveted and would
bring back to our house to fix something with, or
just to fiddle with, making some new invention.
He was inventive.  That's what my mother said.

	The floor in the five and dime was wood,
dark old wood, rounded at the edges and uneven,
maybe even splintery.  My mother would send me to
the five and dime with some money and a note for
the proprietor.  He'd receive the note from me,
gather up the things that were on the list, take
the money and give me the change which he'd put
in the bag with the items my mother wanted.  I
felt big and important going to the store all by
myself with the auspicious note and the real live
green money in my fist.  The owner recognized me
and knew who I was.  He'd throw in an extra
little toy or a stick of gum for me to thank me
for my good work.  "You're a help to your
mother," he'd say.  And I'd glow.

	The drug store had isles that were packed
with bright coloured boxes and bottles.  There
were band-aids, shampoo, milk of magnesia,
Kaeopectate, eye wash, shower caps, soap,
aspirin, cotton balls and rows of bottles of
pills of every size and colour.  There was a
window in the middle of one of the walls of
shelves, on the perimeter of the room, and that's
where prescriptions were handed in.  In the
window in the front of the drugstore were big
glass vases filled with coloured liquids.
Somehow this was the sign that it was a drug
store.  A mortar and pestle were displayed
alongside the coloured liquids.  There were
magazines, too, and comic books.

	But the big attraction was the soda
fountain.  There were machines that made
milkshakes, and handles that the soda jerk pulled
to get different flavours of soda out of the
spigot.  This I recall vaguely.  But what I
remember clearly was the list overhead of
flavours of milkshakes you could get.  A
hamburger cost fifteen cents with all the
trimmings.  Milk shakes were a dime.  My sister,
a friend of hers and I were dispatched to the
drugstore with a dollar bill, and we were allowed
to get one milkshake each.  Dana ordered
chocolate, and her friend ordered vanilla.  I
asked the nice man behind the counter, who
probably was sixteen years old, if he could mix
strawberry and chocolate for my milkshake.  He
said yes, he could.  But Dana made fun of me.
This was an idiot's idea: strawberry and
chocolate together?  How stupid.  This wasn't
done, and it sounded disgusting to her.  She let
me know and shamed me into ordering only
chocolate, or only strawberry, delaying my
entrance into the wonderful world of cooking for
another fifteen years.

ÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net