TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 114

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Jan 8 07:42:50 PST 2007

January 8, 20000000007

Dear Ones,

	Monday morning is my day to take my
Fosomax.  It's a miracle drug.  Several years
ago, my bone density X-ray showed up with me
having Osteopenia.  That's a precursor to
Osteoporosis.  And we have this drug now,
Fosomax, which you take once a week, and it
encourages bone density.  My bones just grow more
dense from taking this stuff.  It's amazing.  But
the drug comes along with a list of instructions
that all have exclamation points after them.
Take with PLENTY OF WATER!  An eight ounce glass.
DO NOT EAT ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER TAKING
FOSOMAX!  WAIT AT LEAST HALF AN HOUR BEFORE
TAKING YOUR DAILY MEDICATIONS OR EATING ANYTHING!
DO NOT LIE DOWN OR RECLINE FOR HALF AN HOUR!  DO
NOT GO BACK TO BED!  The instructions scared me
so much that I put off taking the damn things for
a month.  I was afraid maybe I might bend over
and simulate reclining.  Or maybe I'd have
terrible side effects.  Could the stuff be so
toxic that flipping over on my side would corrode
my esophagus?  But now I routinely take this
stuff, and as I sit here pounding on the keys, my
bones are growing denser.  And I didn't lean over
even.  I've been upright since 6:00.

                          ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                           ××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Trading places

	My mother was driving across town from
Silver Spring, Maryland, where we lived, to
someplace in Washington, D.C.  I don't remember
what the purpose of the trip was.  In order to
get from one part of town to the other, you had
to drive through some of the worst slums in the
United States.  It was a hot day.  This was
before seat belts, so I was sitting right at the
passenger's window, my legs crossed in front of
me, my arms folded up on the window ledge.  It
was a great big old black car with huge round
shapes on it, like a cluster of black balloons
lumbering over the road from here to there.

	I watched as the neighborhood changed.
Soon we were driving through a whole new world.
I remember dirt, mounds of dirt, no sidewalks,
one room houses with broken windows, the front
doors open to let in the air from the suffocating
humid heat.  The floors inside the houses looked
like dirt, and outside every house were groups of
black people of various shades, crowding around,
standing, squatting, sitting, all together,
looking out at the diminished world.  I was
probably five years old, and as we drove by, my
eyes fixed on the eyes of a small boy, about my
age.  He was sitting next to the feet of his
father who was  leaning against the house.  A
pregnant woman stood in the open doorway.  There
was broken glass from the front window scattered
on the brown earth.  I saw the boy and he saw me.
Our differing fortunes struck me suddenly.  I was
privileged, bouncing around in my mother's big
black car, with my clothes in one piece, and my
concerns taken care of by my parents.  No life or
death issues.  There was no hunger in my belly,
no Cossack at my door.  Here was a poor soul, by
accident born to a poor family in a poor
neighborhood.  What chances and opportunities was
his life going to offer him?   I felt a shaft of
communication pass between us.  For an instant I
saw a big black car rumbling past with a little
girl my age, staring out the window, and our eyes
met.

                          ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                           ××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Catatonia

	Usually, I carried on through the
obstruction of my home life.  I went off to
school and came back in the afternoon, lazed
around and did homework.  Maybe I had a
rehearsal.  Maybe I had a long session with
Yvonne on the phone.  We talked endlessly.  In
the hallways, when we passed each other, we would
hand each other the notes we had written the
night before.  I took a piece of eight and a half
by eleven paper, folded it up into quarters then
eighths and tore it up into rectangles which I
stapled together to make a little book.  I would
give it a title on the front, write on all the
right hand sides of the pages, reach the end,
then flip it over and start back the other way.
I filled dozens of these books and I think Yvonne
still has them all, saved away someplace.  She
was always the organized partner, and never threw
anything away.  Somewhere, those breathless
teenage rants are preserved for such time as her
son, Yuri, comes across them while he is going
through his mother's effects after we've all
blown our final gaskets in our generation.  My
poor kids will be going through a hundred
journals: my life since age nine.  There is no
escaping it.

	We passed our notes and moved on down the
hallway to our separate classes.  At night, we
would call each other on the phone and talk for
as long as possible, even reading the notes to
each other - the notes we were going to exchange
the next day in the hallways at Berkeley High
School.  Yvonne helped me through my upbringing.
She was there, as a witness, to vouch for my
battered version of reality.  She saw my father
at his worst, and likewise I saw her mother and
her mother's boyfriend, Sharad, at their worst.
We understood.  We two understood all our
worries, all our fixations, and all the unhealed
wounds, where our selves were halved and
quartered, then in eighths, stapled together and
read both directions.  She could verify for me
that I wasn't crazy:  I did see my father's
abuse;  it wasn't normal.  I saw her mother's
paranoid schizophrenia, the extreme acts, the
fragility, and Sharad's mean mindedness, his
sexism.  A hand would go up in the air from his
luxuriant chair.  He'd snap his fingers.
"Sandwich!" he'd proclaim.  And Yvonne had to go
make him a sandwich.

	We two were badly beaten, no visible bruises, but badly beaten.

	Once in every while, I would break down.
My stamina, the drive that got me through the
days would collapse, and I'd descend into a deep,
unconsolable, paralyzing depression.  This would
last a couple of weeks, at least.  During that
time I would lock myself in my room, and sit,
catatonic, staring out the window, tears
streaming down my face, contemplating the ebb and
flow of human misery.  Everything I saw would be
a metaphor for my paralysis, my untenable
situation.  I would go through the motions by
going off to school in the morning, and coming
home in the afternoon.  Then I'd take my position
by the window and weep, motionless, soundless.
This was the only way to keep my father away from
me, both psychologically and physically.  He
would never cross the threshold to my room, would
send no messages after me.  He pulled no scenes,
and refrained from leering at me.  My mother
would worry, wringing her hands, but when she
approached me and got no answers, not a sound
from me, she would recede and leave me to my
self.  No one knew what to do with me.

	Maybe that was the idea.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro