TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 113

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Jan 7 09:09:57 PST 2007

January 7, 2000000000000000000000007

Dear You Who Read and Write,

	Every week on Saturday night, we four go
to a Chinese restaurant for dinner.  The same
one.  Every week.  This tradition came from our
going to another Chinese restaurant every
Saturday night for years.  It was called, The
Shin Shin, and was on Solano Avenue in Berkeley.
They were the greatest.  We'd shopped around and
found them.  The decor was like the inside of a
community swimming pool, but the food was
unparalleled.  We went there so much that the
owners got to know us pretty well.  Pretty well
as in exchanging gifts on holidays and birthdays
and recognizing my voice on the phone when I
called in to make our reservation.  We got the
same table every week, and it got to the point
that one day I called in to make the reservation
and just told Elena to invent a meal for us.  She
knew what we liked.  She invented a meal that
consisted mostly of things that were not on the
menu.  Lots of organ meat, and real down to earth
Chinese food, the kind that you don't find in
restaurants because they are skewed to white
tastes.  (Unless you're in China, and then they
are skewed correctly).
People would come and gawk at our million dishes
stacked up on the turntable and they'd ask Elena
to make that one, or this one, and she'd just
say, "Special customer.  Not on menu.  Sorry".

	Then about a year and a half ago, the
Shin Shin went out of business.  They were weary
of restaurant work, and thought of retiring down
in Sunnyvale, which is about 35 miles from here.
We were crestfallen, to say nothing of
disappointed.  They lasted a few months in
Sunnyvale before they had to open another
restaurant because they were bored to death with
retirement.  Now they have a tiny little take out
place which has the potential to make the best
Chinese food in the area.  So every once in a
great while, we'll call Elena and make a
reservation for Saturday night, and drive all the
way down there for dinner.  It takes a while.
And we hit the traffic.  But it's worth it, just
to see the variety and invention on the table.
They don't have enough serving platters or
glasses, so they put out plastic sometimes.  And
they have to shove several tables together.

	So, in the meantime for the other
Saturday nights, we went searching hard for a
substitute and finally came up with a restaurant,
but it just doesn't stand up.  In fact, it's
getting boring.  The menu is limited, and the
food isn't as good, and we miss the Shin Shin.
We have become a staple there, though, and when I
call in for a reservation, they recognize who it
is as soon as I say, "Four people, Saturday
night, the name is...."  How long will we have to
go there before I can ask them to make up a
banquet for us, just invent something?

                                     ®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®©®
                                      ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ

The cleaver story

	On my first trip to New York City to
court the music business, I stayed with a German
fellow, Eugen (Oy-gen), or Hans Roth.  I'd met
him at the Federated Societies for Experimental
Biology convention where I went with my parents.
Eugen had started up a flirtation with me and I'd
responded positively.  I don't know why.  He was
vain.  He looked at himself in the mirror
constantly and dressed foppishly, slathering
himself with attention and extra little touches,
like the perfect shoes that set off his legs and
the Mercedez Benz to match them as a much needed
accessory.  We drove up from Atlantic City to New
York with our bags in the back, neither one of us
having expected to be in someone else's company
when we first set our feet inside the convention
hall of the FASEB.  In fact, Eugen lived in
Passaic, New Jersey, right across the waters and
the state line from the big city.  Passaic was
the place my father was born, and I'd been there
before when I was very little and not so little,
doing the rounds of relatives on my father's
side.  They were a different kind of neurotic
from my mother's side, who were all California
Jews.  The east coast family were louder,
pushier, had abhorrent accents and tossed their
Judaism around flagrantly.  They were more or
less an embarrassment.

	But I was there to chase the music
business and flatten Eugen Roth's bed, not to
visit relatives, so I contacted no one on the
long list of people I should contact according to
my father.  He'd even given me a short list of
people in his family who were remotely connected
to show biz and therefore could help me out.  I
had an audience with one of them who listened to
my music and scoffed that I needed to write
spiffier tunes, write new old standards,
essentially.  And this relative dismissed me with
a rude lecture on what's commercial and what
isn't,  Art being not commercial and therefore
not worth my time or his to explore, or even
listen to.

	Eugen lived in a high rise and he rented
a two bedroom apartment with a roommate, another
transplanted German, both working for Hoffman La
Roche.  The exchange was that I could stay there
for free if I cooked for them.  And this was more
than fine with me.  I imagined all sorts of
terrific meals, hacking, chopping, slicing and
whisking in their little kitchen, presenting them
with my edible gifts from the heart.  But this is
not how it turned out.  When we arrived in the
apartment, Eugen introduced me to the kitchen and
encouraged me to look around, get my bearings,
see what they had in store, and what they didn't
have.  Well, essentially what they had was frozen
pizza and elbow macaroni, with a large order of
cockroaches and mold.  The garbage bag was hung
on the inside of the door under the sink, and
when I opened that door, I was struck in the
teeth by the stench.  Then I noticed the
scavengers and parasites.

	They had no salt or pepper, no knives to
cut with, no spoons to stir with, nothing.  And
they had one set of flatware.  By one set I do
not mean four place settings.  I mean they had a
fork, a dull knife and a spoon, all purchased at
the local super market, no doubt.  I imagined
dinner with Eugen and roommate in this fashion:
the scintillating conversation would be, "Could
you please pass the fork?"  In the refrigerator,
there was, to their credit or debit, a small
stack of processed, pasteurized, real imitation
food type cheese sheets, each slice separated by
a piece of wax paper.  They were curling up and
darkened at the edges.  So goes it in Passaic,
New Jersey.

	I had my work cut out for me, and not
even with one of their knives since they didn't
have any.  I embarked on a cleaning campaign and
announced that there would be no dinners until
the place was inhabitable.  It could be a few
days.  I scrubbed, I polished, I  emptied, I
lined shelves, I washed the glass they had, and
went out to purchase others.  Eugen, seeing my
ambitions, handed me a fat check to furnish the
kitchen with whatever I felt necessary.

	"Buy good German products."

	"I may buy good American products, good
Chinese products, and good Japanese products as
well," I told him.  "Maybe even something from
Bulgaria if it suits.  I'll know what to do."

	"You'll know what to do," he repeated,
smiling his smug, flirtatious smile.

	I went off to a local store and bought
supplies and fresh food, only as much as I could
carry in my arms on each trip.  To furnish a
kitchen from ground zero is an expensive
proposition.  Everywhere I turned I found I could
not make the dish I wanted to make because of
some thing or things wanting.  A salad would be
simple.  But they didn't have a salad bowl, or a
large pot to use as such, or anything to use as
servers.  There was no olive oil or vinegar.  How
about a plain old baked potato?  Well, that's
nice, but you need tongs, or at least a couple of
pot holders to take them out of the oven with,
and plates to serve them on.  A meat loaf needs a
roasting pan.  A piece of fruit needs a paring
knife.  It was endless. How did they manage
before this?  They ate out all the time.  All
that requires is money, and they had plenty of
that: two single, childless men working as hot
shots at Hoffman La Roche.  But the kitchen got
more or less in shape, and the praise I got for
very plain meals was almost laughable.

	"What is this thing that you used on the vegetables?"

	"That is called a steamer, my man."

	"And what is this strange thing?"

	"That is a skillet."

	Pathetic.

	After a couple of weeks of this ordinary
fare, I began to long for a well supplied
kitchen.  And I missed  --  what did I miss?  I
missed being able to cook a Chinese banquet.  I
had learned from Harry Lum how to cook Chinese
dishes, had gotten skilled enough to make
elaborate banquets for eight or more people.  I
had even gotten hired to cook a banquet or two.
Oh, but that's another story.  I ached to put
together a good Chinese meal.  I asked Eugen if
there were anyone he knew of in the building who
had a well supplied kitchen and would let me
borrow it for a banquet.  Naturally, they would
be invited, and I'd even leave them all the
leftovers and the wok and cleaver.  Just let me
use the equipment.  Eugen knew of a gay couple,
both also working at Hoffman La Roche, who were
interested in cuisine.  They lived a few stories
up.  He would ask them.  The answer came back
quickly.  They would be thrilled to have me come
play in their kitchen.  One of them even wanted
to take notes.  Did I mind?  I did not mind.  I
was hungry for this experience.  I would give
this guy something to take notes about.

	I'd actually seen both of these men in
the elevator and the lobby at various times.
They had their homosexuality well disguised in
their business suits and official wing tips.  But
at home, in their private element, it was another
story.  I was introduced to them and their
kitchen, had come to case the joint and see what
was needed.  In private, their names were not Dr.
Hadfield and Mr. Pinney.  They were, "Pooter",
and "Honey cakes."  They sat on each other's
laps, cooed, nuzzled and spoke baby talk.  I was
careful to tolerate this even more than I would
have tolerated it in a heterosexual couple.
These men had something I wanted, and I wasn't
about to poke fun at them, or retch at the words,
"Snookie - ookums".

	I determined what I needed to procure for
the banquet, and headed off to New York City's
Chinatown to buy a wok, a wok cradle, and a good
sized cleaver that could chop straight through
bones.  When I got up out of the subway, I was
greeted with the sounds sights and smells of
Chinatown.  I gave a huge sigh of relief, thought
of Harry, and my uncle Kuo and dove right in.
Everywhere, people were rushing about and the
crowds of Chinese women were picking over the
produce, clogging the sidewalks, bumping into me.
"My people!" I thought, and I felt right at home.
From my childhood, I'd been surrounded by Chinese
artifacts and Chinese culture.  There was San
Francisco, the number one city.  There was my
Aunt Anne and Uncle Ping Chia Kuo.  There were
all the things Aunt Anne sent home from China
while she was living there.  I could not remember
a time when I couldn't use chopsticks.  Oh!
Chopsticks!  Another thing to buy.

	In Chinatown, prices vary greatly from
one shop to another.  You really have to walk
around and compare to get the best deal.  I found
a store that specialized in the hardware of
cooking: steamers, woks, cleavers, strainers,
serving platters, bamboo scrubbers.  I walked in
and started poking around.  I was soon approached
by a middle aged man who did not do his race
credit.  In fact, he was the stereotypical
Chinese caricature.  He was pejorative.  I was
embarrassed to stand in his presence because he
so insulted the senses.  Where did this guy come
from?  All my life I had revered and admired the
Chinese, their brains, their culture, their art,
their great thinkers, their resourcefulness,
their beauty.  And now, I was face to face with a
stooped over, broad nosed man with wisps of hair,
yellowish skin, slanty eyes and goddamn it, buck
teeth.  It was as if I'd been confronted with an
honest to goodness Jew boy, the one with the hook
nose, the greasy ear locks, the hunched over
shifty look, the thick heccent and the self
effacing gestures.  I was appalled.
Nevertheless, I had a job to do.

	"I'm looking for a cleaver."

	And then he spoke.  Oy!

	"Oh!  You want cweava."

	"Yes, I want one that can chop through bone, a big one."

	"Oh!  Numma one cweava.  Cut bone."  He
climbed up on a ladder, reached into a box and
brought out an all metal cleaver.  The metal
handles are no good.  They get slippery and
dangerous.  Best to get one with a wooden handle.
Carbon steel.

	"No.  I want a wooden handle and carbon steel."

	"No.  No maw cahbon steew.  Stainwess
Steew,  numma one stainwess steew.  Nevah bwake!"

	"No carbon steel?"

	"No. No maw cahbon steew.  Seven fifty,
stainwess steew.  Nevah bwake!"  He shook the
thing at me from up on the ladder.

	"Seven fifty?  I can get that for three
dollars in San Francisco.  Forget it."

	He got down off the ladder bringing the
offending instrument.  "No.  No maw thwee dolla.
Seven fifty, stainwess steew.  Nevah bwake!"

	He showed me the cleaver and added, "Be
vewy cafuw not cut yo fingah".  I took the
cleaver from him and demonstrated how to use it,
folding my left fingers over an imaginary piece
of meat so that my knuckles would guide the
cleaver, protecting my fingers.  His eyes lit up.

	"Weah yo wearn use cweava wike dat?"

	I thought of explaining my exact
relationship to Harry, but thought better of it.
I said, "My husband is Chinese."

	"Oh!" he said, definitively, "Fie dolla!"

	Then I made a mistake.  I told him I
could get it in San Francisco for three dollars
and, thanking him, went on to another store to
compare prices.  It turned out that the, "Fie
dolla," was indeed a great bargain, and there
were no wooden handled number one cleavers in New
York's Chinatown, not that I could find, at any
rate.  I found my way back to the first store a
couple hours later, ready to take the stainwess
steew neva bwake cweava for fie dolla.  But when
I entered the store, the caricature was not there
any more.  In his place, was a youngish man who
spoke perfect English.  He said it would be seven
fifty, and, trounced, I shelled it out.

                                      ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro