TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 110

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Jan 4 07:21:57 PST 2007

January 4, 20000000007

Dear,

	I was dreaming about these half funny
aliens.  They were not your average tentacled,
bug eyed, vicious monsters.  In fact they were
disguised as employees of a fast food chain
restaurant which was trying to cater the meals at
the place where I lived.  The nature of the place
evades me.  It wasn't a commune, but it wasn't
just an apartment complex.  ANYWAY, these aliens
looked like absolutely normal adolescents, most
of them, pimples and all.  But you could tell
which ones were aliens, because they'd give
themselves away by doing uncharacteristic social
behaviours, or trying to devour a resident (so
impolite!).  Every time another alien revealed
itself, I'd fight with it, and then realize I was
asleep, and announce to everyone, "Sorry, I've
got to wake myself up," and then I'd wrench
myself awake for a few moments before I fell back
asleep and continued the same dream.  It was not
a restful night.  But the aliens lost, and we got
good food back, too.

                         ¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

¦

Bouquet

	My brother and I were driven all the way
across town to see a movie at The Oaks Theater on
Solano Avenue.  That's in far north Berkeley.  We
lived in far southeast Berkeley, a distance of
maybe five miles.  The arrangement was for my
mother to come pick us up after the show.  I
don't recall what the movie was, but neither
Daniel nor I liked it.  In fact, after the first
few moments, we decided we didn't want to watch
it.  So we left the theater, out from the dark
into the bright sun of a Sunday afternoon.

	Daniel must have been eight or so.  That
made me fifteen.  I was the older sister and I
was therefore in charge.  It's hard to imagine
that I was close to the age when I could have
gotten a learner's permit, because I was so young
for my age.  My bright idea was for us to walk
home.  Yes, from one side of the town to the
other.  I actually had no clue what exact route
to take.  Not being a driver, I had not paid any
attention to the streets, the directions, the
right or left turns.  I just figured that we'd
find our way if we headed in the general
direction across the city.  As we got closer, I
figured I'd recognize some landmark or other and
know how to get home.  What was important was to
get home before my mother set off to pick us up.
Then she'd get there, we wouldn't be there to
meet her, and she'd freak out.  I guessed it
would take us a couple of hours to get home, just
a wild guess.  That would be in plenty of time,
since it was a double feature.

	We set off overland, aiming at a place in
front of our noses, and we kept going.  Mostly,
it was stores and busy streets.  It looked
familiar.  After a while, Daniel said he was
tired and could I carry him.  I hadn't counted on
that.  I put him piggy back for a block or two,
but that was the end of my strength.  I  had to
find something to amuse him so he'd forget about
being carried.  I invented an activity.  We were
going to pick flowers along the way, and present
our mother with a big bouquet once we got home.

	"But these flowers don't belong to us."

	He was right.  And here came the great
rationalization.  We would only pick a flower
from a bush or flower bed so crowded with flowers
of its kind that one or two plucked out of the
whole would never be missed.  So we began our
collection.  We turned off the busy streets and
walked through residential neighborhoods. The
flowers were out in force.  It was Spring.  One
flower here, two flowers there.  We never
deviated from our rule: only pick a flower if its
absence would never be noticed.  We were
gathering a fine armful of flowers.  Not once did
anyone come running out of a house, waving arms
wildly and screaming for us to stop vandalizing
the garden.

	We found our way to the North Gate of the
University of California.  The University is
pretty much in the center of Berkeley, and all
points in Berkeley are referenced by its
position.  You can be south Berkeley, which is
south of campus, or west of campus, north of
campus or east of campus in the hills.  We walked
through the University, which is huge.  Dozens
and dozens of buildings and crowds of students.
I took my directions from the Campanile, and
navigated by it.  Now I knew where we were.  I'd
taken a summer class at the University when I was
in junior high school, and I'd made myself
familiar with how to walk from one side of campus
to the other.  Just watch the Campanile.  From
the South Gate (Sather Gate) we were then near
Telegraph Avenue, where Yvonne and I spent our
afternoons after school.  We headed up to
fraternity, sorority row and from there around
the California School for the Deaf and Blind,
then to Claremont Avenue and straight home to
Domingo.  By the time we reached home, we had an
enormous bunch of flowers of every kind: roses,
irises, tiny daisies, narcissus, daffodils,
lilies, and many I had no name for.  We rang the
back door bell, and my  mother came to the door.
We were delighted that she was shocked to see us.
She was getting ready to leave to come fetch us.
We handed her the flowers, and she found a
suitable vase.

	"Where did you get all the flowers?"  We
told her and explained our rule.

	"You shouldn't have," she said.  And she meant it.

                         ¦

¦

¦

¦