TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 107

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Jan 1 08:38:27 PST 2007

January 1, 20000000000000000000000000007

Dear Celebrants,

	We watched a movie last night.  Cold
Comfort Farm.  It's a weird one.  But I enjoyed
the British accents, all of them, and the one
fellow who had to put on an American accent did
so broadly and nasally and it came off almost
authentic.  Feyna had gone to the city with her
friends and wasn't going to be back until very
late (or early).  Meyshe was still busy with his
33 languages CD set.  He is saying hello, thank
you and please in a lot of languages now.  It's
hard to keep up with him.  I fell asleep at my
book in bed and woke up at 2:45 to the sound of
movement downstairs.  I just lay there though.
It was Feyna and her friends returning from their
celebrations.  This morning seems like any other
morning except that I don't have to be anywhere
and anywhere is closed anyway.

	Happy New Year.

                               ççççÇÇÇÇççççÇÇÇÇççççÇÇÇÇççççÇÇÇÇççççÇÇÇÇçççç
                                ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

That's Easy

	When the ultrasound technician announced
that she saw twins in me, and turned off the
machine, it left me with no way to get a
chorionic villus biopsy.  This was what the
ultrasound was about, setting up for the
procedure.  It is the only way to get an early
reading of how the embryo is doing, genetically,
a chromosome by chromosome accounting of the
condition.  They would be able to tell if there
were any genetic diseases or diagnose Down's
Syndrome, and any number of congenital
abnormalities that might dictate the elective
cessation of the pregnancy.  If we waited for the
amniocentesis, we would be twenty one weeks into
the pregnancy, and wear and tear on my high risk
condition would already have taken place.
Starting over with another pregnancy would put me
and the foetus at additional risk.  So the
chorionic villus biopsy was really important.

	"We can't do the procedure for twins,"
said the technician.  "You'll have to wait for
the amnio.  We can do that with twins."

	We both walked away from the experience a
bit crest fallen.  What about modern medicine?  I
was unwilling to let the topic go unquestioned,
however, and called back to the clinic to ask
about getting the early biopsy for twins.  It
turned out, after careful interrogation that the
chorionic villus biopsy could indeed be done for
twins, but you just had to go to Philadelphia.
So when the technician said that they couldn't do
that for twins, she meant literally that they at
that laboratory could not do the procedure.  She
omitted that it could be done, but just not
there.  An odd omission, I thought, and tried to
decipher what ugly competition or internecine
jealousies were in force.

	So we made plans to go to Philadelphia
and follow this thing through.  We were
encouraged by my gynecologist who thought it was
important, even vital, to get this genetic
information as early as possible.  I'd never been
to Philadelphia.  It was a trip infused with both
excitement and dread.  We would have to stay
there for a couple of days, arriving the night
before the biopsy and leaving the day after.  We
made reservations in a decent hotel near the
University clinic.

	On the way to Philadelphia, we had to
transfer planes in Chicago.  Chicago is one of
the world's busiest airports.  It was a swarm of
activity, massive corridors coursing with streams
of people going every direction.  What I required
was a bathroom, nothing more elaborate.  We found
a facility near an enormous intersection.  On my
way in I noticed a man standing, waiting with two
little boys.  They were not more than four and
six.  The whole party was staring at the air,
trying to amuse themselves, while Dad presided,
adjusting collars, keeping the peace.  I pushed
the door open.  Inside and off to the left of the
entrance there was a baby changing area.  There
was a woman standing at the counter with a girl
of about eight beside her, helping.  In front of
them, on the long counter, were three infants,
their three little tushies exposed to the air,
their six little legs wriggling wildly.  The
woman had an assembly line working.  The daughter
handed her mother one baby wipe after another,
and she cleaned up the tuchases one after the
other.  Then the girl delivered three fresh new
diapers, one, two, three, and the mother handed
the girl three soiled diapers, all rolled up into
tight balls, which she tossed into the dirty
diaper bin.  With one hand, Mom lifted two little
legs at the ankles and slid the fresh diaper
under the bottom, let the bottom down and moved
on to the next: lift, slide, let down again.
Lift, slide, let down again.  Now she had all
three babies positioned over fresh clean diapers.
She proceeded to fasten the diapers over the
little bottoms one at a time.  After each was
done, the daughter pulled on their pants and
cinched them in.

	I was transfixed.  I'd given some thought
to twins by this time, and to the fact that I had
only two arms and there would be two whole
babies.  One needed at least four arms to manage,
and that was not going to be the case.  The
enormity of the strategic difficulties had struck
me and left me stunned.  While gaping at these
triplets, it must have shown on my face.  I saw
the mommy and the daughter staring at me in the
mirror while they were finishing up.

	"Excuse me," I said, "I'm pregnant with
twins, and I just couldn't help being interested
in how this is all done."

	"Oh.  Twins," the woman said, "That's easy."

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net