TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 158

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Wed Feb 21 09:59:55 PST 2007

Dear Tobie,

Buying yourself something that is uncomfortable and not even accommodating
does not, I regret to tell you, count as doing something nice for yourself.
We have specific requirements as to what constitutes something "nice," and
this is not it. Admittedly, this doing something nice can be quite difficult
and time consuming, and can require much consideration. Still, it's a useful
exercise. If we don't know what to do for ourselves that is nice, how can we
know that what we do for ourselves is not nice?

The other day I found the perfect wedding dress. I could have passed it up,
on the assumption that I'd find something equally adequate at a later date,
or on sale, or something. But this dress had just made its appearance at the
store, and therefore they weren't yet marking it down. That's right. It was
at full price. I rarely buy clothes at full price. What's the point of that?
I have a lovely dress that once retailed for $98, but when I bought it, it
had been marked down to $8. (This dress is quite useful for attending
weddings, as long as I don't have a role, and has been put to use several
times already.) This is how I shop. I go to the clearance racks first. But I
found this dress. And let me just say this right now: I am a liberated
independent female who feels that my brain is more important than my looks,
and the whole wedding dress hoopla is way out of control, and people spend
far too much money on weddings and the accoutrements than they need, and
it's not like we're living in the medieval ages when being a princess was
the height of ambition, but there is this: when I put on that dress, I felt
like a princess. So I bought it. And as wedding dresses go, it was quite
reasonable, since it's not technically a wedding dress at all. But I was
being nice to myself. And you know what? It's not such a bad thing.