TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 165

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Feb 28 08:30:41 PST 2007

February 28, 2000000007

Dear  Yooo,

	This morning my writing class begins
again.  An eight week course of Creative Non
Fiction, run by Andy Couturier.  I've talked
about him before.  This Saturday, ten people from
his classes are going to give a reading at,
"Black Oak Books".  They are an independent book
store, and do work in the community to make books
accessible to underprivileged people.  Plus they
have big names come for readings and lectures.
This Saturday night, ten little students of Andy
Couturier will stand up there and give five
minutes each of reading some of the free writes
we've done in his class, and we're supposed to
explain the exercize that spawned it.  I found a
couple, three things to read, but I couldn't, for
the life of me, figure out what the exercizes
were.

	He does all kinds of creative things.
Find a sentence in the writing you've brought in.
Find one that you know you could revise.  An
interesting sentence.  Then he told us a few
different methods of revision: putting more in,
taking things out, adding detail to what is
already there, rearranging what is there,
replacing words with other words, etc.  Then he
gave us ten minutes to revise the sentence we'd
chosen as many times as we wanted (or could fit
in).

	He photocopies pages from an old old
dictionary, and reads off some of the obscure
obsolete or anachronistic words on the pages.
People choose a page to use.  We circle five to
ten words on the page that interest us because we
don't know what they mean, or because of the
sound of it, the hilarity in it, the association
with it.  We do not look at the definition.  Then
we use these words in a free write.  That was a
good exercize.

	Other methods: underline about ten
phrases or sentences in a piece you've done
before in the class.  Take those sentences or
phrases and write one each on three by five
cards.  Keep them in order of appearance.  Now
hand the cards to the person on your left who
will rearrange the order and hand it back.  Do a
free write on the new order.  He has a whole book
full of these kinds of exercizes.  They get the
juices flowing and produce some fascinating
results.  The book is called: Writing Open the
Mind, in case any of you wants to buy it from
Amazon.  I have a copy, but it's in storage.  But
it's in storage.  But it's in storage.  But it's
in storage.  That gets tagged on to the end of a
lot of things these days.  I think I may buy
another copy this Saturday evening.  No writer
should be without it.  It's in storage.

                                       ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

T-groups

	Dweller was involved with T-groups at
Stiles Hall at the University of California when
I met him.  I'd never been to a T-group, and in
fact, didn't know what it meant.  It is a little
hard to grasp.

	A group of people get together to gather
in a cluster and be honest with each other.

	Let me say that in another way.

	With the guidance of the T-group leader
(we call these people facilitators, today) a
bunch of people, say five to ten, have a series
of meetings where the purpose is to learn how
they each relate to other people.

	No, that didn't do it.

	Say eight people get together in a room,
and the underlying premise is that they will all
break societal norms by speaking with each other
honestly, revealing how they really feel about
one another and how they perceive the
interactions that are going on in the group.  A
leader is there to advise and suggest things to
the group, so that it all doesn't break down into
a skirmish.  I mean, how would you react if
someone came up to you and said, "I don't feel
any warmth from you, and I'm sensing some
hostility growing in me."?  Likewise, the person
could come up to you and say, "I find you very
attractive and what I first thought of when I saw
you was how much I'd like to get physical with
you."

	You need a leader for encounters like
that.  In fact, they were sometimes called,
"Encounter Groups," or, "Sensitivity Training
Groups".  Remember, as fitting the premise of the
meeting, when you hear from someone that he or
she finds you attractive and would like to get
physical, you can react to that by saying, "That
makes me terrifically uncomfortable, and I felt
no attraction to you.  I'm angry that your first
reaction to me was purely physical, because
that's the way a lot of men (or women) view me.
And there is more to me than that."

	Well, then it's time for the first person to ask flatly, "Such as?"

	And then the leader steps in and defuses
the situation.  Unless of course, the leader has
no psychological training and has gotten the job
of leader by being in three T-groups previously,
and having one of the leaders recommend him or
her for a leadership position.  This was the case
with Dweller.  He was an industrial engineering
graduate student and took to the T-groups which
were experimental then, because they made him
feel good.  He was recommended by one of the
leaders of a group he'd been in, and he accepted
the invitation.  Not an inspiring system if what
you're looking for is competence.

	I'm not saying that nothing profound can
come out of these groups.  I'm saying that most
definitely many profound things can come out of
them.  So why not put someone in charge who can
prevent something hideous coming out of it, and
guide the group toward something profound?
That's not how they did it at Stiles Hall.  It
was self led, and pretty much anything went.
Dweller was very convinced that I would benefit
from being in a T-group and suggested strongly
that I join one.  They ran in eight week
sessions.  I was scared to death.  What if
everyone hated me?

	Here is where your new beloved says
something like, "What's there to hate?  Everyone
will love you as I do."  But he didn't.  He said
the less than thrilling, "If they do, then you
get to talk about it, and find out why."

	I passed on it for a while, but Dweller
was pretty insistent.  I had a lot to be afraid
of in a T-group.  I couldn't articulate it at the
time, but I think a shrewd, objective evaluation
would have been that since I came from one of the
world's most dysfunctional families, I was
hypersensitive-sensitive, and the leaders pretty
much didn't know what they were doing but
gratifying their own egos by leading groups where
others must be honest, it wouldn't be wise for me
to expose myself to it.

	Nevertheless, I was in love, so I joined
a group to make Dweller happy.  I wanted to make
him happy.  He hadn't said anything provocative
like, "What're you afraid of, scaredy cat?"  He
had gone with the safe and less challenging,
more indirect route of implying that he was more
well balanced than I was (which was true) and if
I wanted to join the ranks of the self realized,
I should follow his advice.

	The first group I was in had ten people
in it, ranging in age from eighteen to twenty
two, except the leader who was probably twenty
four.  I was nervous and that tended to make me
talk a lot, crack a lot of jokes and step back
while looking engaging.  This was not perceived
by the leader.  He thought I was outgoing, maybe
a little too outgoing, and maybe I needed to soft
pedal it a bit.

	I was always admirous of shy people.
They are brave enough to be honest about their
timidity.  I chose to cover it up with fancy
dancing, evasive maneuvers, smoke and mirrors.  I
held back in the group, though, because we had
all sworn to be honest, forthcoming.  So I was
honest; I retreated.  When I had something good
to say, I said it.

	"I like you."  "You're a good person,"
and the ever favourite, "I feel warmly towards
you."

	At first, the straightforwardness was
disarming, and people didn't quite know what to
make of it.  This was when the effectiveness of
the method was  at its peak.  But after a while,
people learned how to cloak themselves in the
same old social hypocrisies, using the new
language of the T-group.  It was natural,
seamless and understandable.  We are not meant to
be forced to go nekked.  It was a sixties thing.

	Then Dweller wanted me to join a T-group
for couples that was being run by someone who
had, "graduated," from Stiles Hall.  This was
going to cost money.  I resisted because I was
afraid of what it would do to Dweller and me to
be in the competitive arena of a T-group
together.  Strange things happen when there are
alliances, like couples, braving the new
nekkedness.  I was right.  The leader favoured a
more confrontational style.  He encouraged
couples to argue, and members of the group to
challenge each other.  Surprise!  More people
cried and more people shouted.  More people left
the session feeling disturbed and angry,
unsettled and bitter.  A few couples broke up.  I
did not look forward to the meetings, which were
held in the leader's living room.  We were thus
on his turf, and had to obey his house rules
which were to take your shoes off and leave them
by the front door, wear loose, old clothing in
case we were going to duke it out with someone,
and sit on the floor in a circle.  No one got to
feel sorry for him or herself.  Any appeals for
sympathy were met with derision.

	Dweller didn't like this either, but he
was dedicated to the cause, so he put up a good
face.  He insisted it was good for us.  Maybe it
was and maybe it wasn't.  At one meeting, Dweller
and another man started to display their
testosterone levels.  I can't remember what the
dispute was, but the leader suggested that
Dweller and this other person wrestle to work it
out.  The suggestion horrified me.  It sounded
like things were being planned to get out of
control.  When are you through wrestling?  When
someone cries uncle?  When they get too exhausted
to go on?  When someone is knocked unconscious?
When one of them is killed? The idea was that in
this T-group someone was going to win and someone
was going to lose.

	The leader had us all back away up
against the walls to give Dweller and the other
man enough room to struggle.  He proceeded to
remove breakable objects.  This didn't look good.

	It went rather quickly, actually  They
started to wrestle.  Everyone got good and
scared.  Some members of the group nervously
spoke up and said it should stop.  The leader
told them to shut up.  The scuffling took on a
wider stage.  They twisted each other into
ridiculous holds.  Arms and legs were sticking
out between armpits and crotches.  I really
couldn't stand it.  And I didn't like what
Dweller was doing.  It all frightened me.  I
finally opened my mouth and said, "I think this
is unhealthy."

	"Who gives a shit what you think!?" shouted the leader vehemently.

	The shock of it broke my dike.  I leaked
tears all over.  I just started crying
uncontrollably and couldn't stop.

	"Oh, poor you," the leader taunted.

	Wasn't this an enlightened playground!
We were back in elementary school, doing
fisticuffs in the big boys' yard.  I packed
myself up, put on my shoes, grabbed my things and
ran to the car.  A few minutes later, Dweller
emerged from the den, and the group seemed to be
disbursing.  The leader was left alone in his kid
proofed living room to count his money.  Dweller
was mad that I'd left.

	"Was I supposed to stay and root for you?"

	We had a fight.  It was such a grand
evening.  We talked about splitting up.  I said I
wasn't coming back to this group, and if he
wanted to stay together, he would not go back
either.  For some reason, he didn't argue.

	Nothing was said about the event after
that.  We healed by plastering the wound over
with silence.  Eventually, we suppressed it
enough that we could act as if we'd forgotten
about it.  That was the end of T-groups for both
of us.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net