TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 164

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Feb 27 07:29:40 PST 2007

February 27, 20007

Dear Friends,

	At three in the morning, I woke up and
heard Meyshe in the next room, laughing
hysterically and bouncing on his chair.  This
meant he must be at the computer having a grand
old time.  I knocked on his door and asked to
come in.

	"Meyshe!  It's three o'clock in the morning!  What are you doing up?"

	"I couldn't sleep."

	We've all had nights like that.  But I
didn't expect it in my nearly 20 year old son.  I
told him he should try to sleep some time.  And
we decided between us that he shouldn't go to
school in his condition.  This morning when I got
up at about quarter to six, I heard him next door
still laughing and carrying on.  He was up the
entire night.  Not a minute of sleep.

	The upshot is that I laid out his pills
for him this morning, minus the Ritalin.  I
didn't think he needed to stay up and be alert.
But without the Ritalin, he may be impossible to
contain.  The day is young and holds many
surprises!  I'll be here to receive them.

	Also this morning, my mother leaves for a
trip to Las Vegas with my sister and her husband,
Bruce.  She'll be gone until Friday afternoon.
It will be different around here without her.  I
helped drag her suitcase down the walkway to the
front of the house so she could wait for Dana and
Bruce to pick her up.  We hugged and were
cautioned by her hearing aid that squealed when I
got close to it.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
                                      ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                                        ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Weaning

	From the time that Meyshe and Feyna were
born, I sat with them as they went to sleep for
the night.  They didn't sleep through until they
were about a year and a half old, and I was, by
that time, ragged from rising every night, in the
midst of dreams, to settle them again, or nurse
them, or do whatever it took.  When it was time
for bed for them, I would take them up to the
nursery and sing to them.  I would sing the same
songs my Gramma sang to Dana and me when we were
little.  I memorized all those old songs,
complete with the fill in sounds she used when
she'd forgotten the words, like, "Hi lee lee, Hi
lee lee lee."

	She sang: "The shades of night are
falling fast.  Fa la la, Fa la la.  And with them
all our youth doth pass.  Fa la la la la.  Yupa
deeya, yupa die, Yupa deeya deeya die.  Yupa
deeya deeya die, yupa deeya die.  Yi yi yi yi yi
yi yie, Yupa deeya yupa die. Yi yi yi yi yi yi
yie, Yupa deeya die."  Then the rolling of a
deep, "R" in the bottom of the back of the
throat, a low note, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", then
up an octave, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

	She sang to us in Yiddish about a little
goat who stood under the baby's cradle, and went
to market to do trade in raisins and almonds.
She sang the butterfly song.  And I sang them
all, note for note, syllable for syllable, to
Feyna and Meyshe, stroking their hair, with my
mouth pressed gently to their skin.

	There was a young college student from
Düsseldorf, Susanne Siehnholdt, who helped out,
and she would come with me into the darkened
nursery.  We'd each hold one of them as I sang,
and rock them gently.  This was when they were
only months old.  They would drop off to sleep
before I was tired of singing, and we'd carry
them very carefully to their cribs which were
side by side.  We'd put them down into the soft
bedding and arrange them in a comfortable
position, then tip toe out of the room.  Usually
that was the end of their waking day, but
occasionally, one would wake up as we were
leaving the room, and start wailing, which would
wake the other up, and we had to take it back
from the beginning.  First sing, wait until they
calmed and drifted off, make sure they were very
asleep, then lay them down in their cribs and
sneak out.

	I was told by some reasonable people that
I had to train them to sleep through the night
and the way to do this was to march in to the
nursery with them at seven o'clock, put them both
down among their blankets, kiss them sharply on
the heads, and leave.  Leave flat out.  Leave.
Not to return again, even if they screamed,
cried, banged their heads on the sides of their
cribs, hollered, shrieked and gasped for air.
But I couldn't bring myself to do that.

	"After a while, they'll learn it's
hopeless and they'll stop the yelling.  Then you
can get on with your life."

	I thought about that.  I decided I didn't
want them to get used to anything being hopeless
so early in their lives, especially their
mother's presence.  There would be plenty of time
for hopelessness later on when they were better
equipped to deal with it.  So I kept up the
routine.  It calmed everyone down, sitting there
in the dark, with each other listening to me sing
and breathing deeply, quietly as they fell off to
sleep.

	After tip toeing out of the nursery, it
was time to feed the rest of the family.  David,
Alex, Ben and I would sit down at the table I
inherited from Gramma Fannie and Grampa Benny,
and we'd have our dinner while I listened for
noises up in the nursery.  We had a baby monitor
that I positioned in the dining room, and I had
one ear tuned to it as I tried to continue my
evening as if I didn't have two important infants
snorfling in their cribs fifteen feet away.  If I
heard a cry, I'd whip the napkin off of my lap
and bound up the stairs to answer the call.  I
heard Ben saying, "Why does she have to be in
such a hurry?  It's just a baby crying."

	And, indeed, why DID I have to be in such
a hurry?  Because I was hung out to dry when I
was a child, wandering between the abuse of my
father and the denial of my mother. Because I
felt, in spite of the fact that my mother tried
to satisfy my every whim, that I'd been
abandoned, and I couldn't bear to hear my own
children wail into the empty darkness, as I was
still doing.  What I had wanted was protection,
and I didn't get it.  I didn't even get validated
that I needed protection.  It's pathetic really,
a full grown woman afraid of the emptiness for
her infant twins.  The darkness and the emptiness
might have been a comfort to them.  Why not?
What is inherently frightening about a dark room
with your mother's voice audible from the next
room?  But I couldn't listen to them cry without
rescuing them.

	This is why it was ever so much harder
for me when the time came to wean them from my
constant presence at bedtime.  They were a year
and a half old, and walking, but they still
needed me to rock them and stay there with them
until they were out.  Susanne instructed me from
her nanny's viewpoint.  What I had to do was put
them gently in their cribs, sing to them as
usual, kiss them good night, and then walk out
the door.  I was not to return even if they
screamed their heads off.

	This was every bit as painful for me as
it was for them.  That first night, after I left
and closed the door, they took a few moments to
figure out what had happened and then started
crying.  I sat in the hallway on the stairs,
huddled in a foetal position, hugging my knees,
my face bent down into my hands, rocking myself
while they screamed for me.  I felt like I was
choking them, teaching them in the worst way how
heartless a place the world could be.  It would
have been so easy to get up and dash back in, but
once the process had started, I couldn't go back
on it.  That would have made it worse.  So I sat
out there, hunched over, sometimes covering my
ears, sometimes weeping myself.  It took them
about an hour to fall asleep, and I was so
exhausted that I went directly to bed without any
dinner.  I am so glad that I forget what I
dreampt that night.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA