TheBanyanTree: A Writer's Journal

Monique Young monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Feb 17 20:47:58 PST 2007

An Internal Monologue

	Day 57, and we're off to a good start. The plot is coming along,
just a few little glitches to work around, and why did Dani decide to throw
the beer bottle right then? That really messes with my flow.
	The dog is looking at me again. How'm I supposed to concentrate with
the beagle staring at me like that?
	I think I'm hungry. Maybe I should eat before I get started. I can't
work on an empty stomach.
	Maybe write a few pages then eat.
	No, that's not going to work. All I can think of is food.
	Okay, eat first, then write. What shall I eat?
	Peanut butter would be good. Oh, I'm out of peanut butter.
	Cripes. Tuna? Tuna doesn't sound very good.
	It sure is sunny outside today. Maybe I should go for a drive.
	Yeah, that's the ticket. Go for a drive, get some lunch, come back,
and I'll have all afternoon to get through the next chapter.
	Or that short story that came to me yesterday. Maybe I'll work on
that instead.
	What was that about anyway?
	Something about someone doing something . . . it was all in my head
yesterday, it was really good. Maybe it'll come to me when I'm driving.
	Maybe I should get the oil checked. I wonder when I did that last?
The car seems to be okay. Then again, the car always seems to be okay until
it breaks down.
	Oh wait, I wanted to stop at the post office, and the bookstore to
see what's new. I have time. Just a short stop or two, then I'll be back at
the office writing away.
	Sure is sunny out today. Nice to get out and drive when it's sunny
instead of raining all the time.
	I shouldn't have pizza for lunch. It always makes me sleepy
afterwards. Oh hell, pizza it is! I'll be fine.
	Sure am sleepy. I'll just take a little nap, and when I wake up I
can get that next chapter done. Or the short story. Wait. What short story
was that?
	Day 58: Not as much accomplished yesterday as I'd hoped, but today
is a new day! At this rate, I'll be done with chapter two any day now! I did
manage to write the first paragraph of the chapter yesterday. Oh wait. I
wrote that?
	Crap, I need to write that over. That's crap. What was I thinking
yesterday?
	Okay, chapter two. It was a dark and stormy night. Wait. That sucks.
	I'm hungry.
	I wonder if there's any food around here.
	Why is the damn dog staring at me again? He never stops, it's like
he possessed, like he's here on a mission . . . hey, that might make a good
story . . .
	Day 59: Okay. Today I lay out chapter two and get it done. After I
finish the dog story. Which really isn't going anywhere, because after the
part about the dog staring and then chasing his tail I'm not really sure
what comes next, but if I just sit back and think about it for just a moment
. . . now, if I were a possessed dog . . .
	Day 60: Let's see. Where'd I put those want ads?