TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 154

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Feb 17 08:20:49 PST 2007

February 17, 20000000007

Dear Teensy Geniuses,

	I dreampt that I had a monumental
backache.  And when I woke up, I realized where
the inspiration for the dream had come from.  I
have a monumental backache.  It feels like one of
those back aches that you get from sleeping the
wrong way.  How was I situated in bed?  There's
not much bed to situate in.  It is true that it's
a queen sized bed, but I only occupy a sliver of
it because over half the bed is covered with
paperwork.  Oh, I know that sounds sloppy, but
think of it this way: enough space to store
things is a luxury.  We are a herd of three that
came to live under the roof of a woman living
single in her house.  There is really no room to
file away all the things we needed to bring with
us.  When the mail comes in the door, where do I
keep it?  I process it right away, but there are
bills and letters from social security,
catalogues and fliers about upcoming events and I
think you get the picture.  So I store them on
one side of my bed.  They're even in neat piles.
It's a surface.  What can I say?  I sleep on the
other side of the bed, and I don't spread out.
I've made a big pile of pillows in the middle,
and I don't cross over.  In the middle of the
night I must have assumed a ridiculous posture
and created the ache that I feel in my back.  I
tried bending over, waaaay over, and grasping my
ankles, rocking my head closer and further from
my shins.  I expected to hear a Pop!  There was
no such noise.  Back aches are mundane.  Once, my
mother's physician gave her a definition of human
being: a bi-ped with a back ache.

                             ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
                                ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

The Tao of Lipstick

	At Willard Junior High School when I went
there, there were dress codes.  Girls had to wear
dresses or skirts and blouses, and when you got
down on your knees, the skirt had to touch the
ground.  Boys were pretty much free to wear
whatever they wanted as long as it didn't involve
nudity.  There were also rules about cosmetics.
Girls were forbidden to wear make-up of any kind
until the high eighth grade, at which time we
were allowed to wear lipstick only.  That means
no mascara, no eye shadow, no silicone
injections.  There was no rule, but it was
assumed that boys would wear no make-up at all,
not even a little blush.

	I had mixed feelings about cosmetics.  I
daren't make myself alluring.  This was already
trained out of me by having to guard myself from
my father.  But on the first day of the high
eighth grade, would I wear lipstick?  I looked in
the mirror.  I was thirteen.  I was already a
little off beat.  My style of dress said, "Heads
up!  Non-conformist.  Artist type."  I mix
matched my two pairs of sneakers so that each
foot wore a different colour.  So, you see, it's
not as if, in the clothing department, I was
afraid of what others would think.

	Why was the lipstick question so difficult?

	Because this was a public embracing of
womanhood.  It was as good as a Bat Mitzvah for
identity, but there was no excruciating study for
it.  My mother gave me one lesson in how to apply
lipstick, and we got me a stick of a pale pink
colour, very neutral.  I would shine my lips; it
would be clear I was wearing lipstick, but it
wouldn't change the colour any.

	My problem was committing myself to
identifying as a female, an actual member of a
pre-arranged gender.  There was no doubt in my
mind that the rules were different for boys and
girls, men and women.  The girls and women got
the short end of the stick.  We were set on that
ordained path: go to college, get a degree, get a
job until you get married, then forget your
education, have babies, and there goes your life
until you're past starting over again.  I didn't
want to sign on to that.  But I wanted to be
pretty, not just smart and talented.  I WAS
pretty.  I was just awkward, the usual discomfort
being in a bigger body.  I'd lost the skinniness
of my childhood.  I was now on the plump side.
And I'd had my hair cut, mostly on a whim, to be
more grown up.  Because I wanted to be pretty and
I wanted the attention of boys, I wore that
lipstick on the first day of high eighth grade.

	In home room, the opening period of the
day, I sat right in back of Dickie Seymour.
Dickie Seymour and I were in the same class in
elementary school.  He was always right ahead of
me, alphabetically speaking, so we stood in a lot
of lines together.  On this first day of the high
eighth grade, all the girls were sitting at their
desks with a fresh application of waxy colour on
their lips.  The boys were looking around and
taking it all in.  At this age, the girls are
considerably ahead of the boys, so we must have
scared them, excited them, made them miserable.
Dickie Seymour turned around, took one look at
me, and said, "Oh, Nooooooo!"

	The first chance I got, I wiped off the
lipstick and never wore it again.  Hardly ever.

                             ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
                                ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Higher learning

	I attended a lot of colleges and
universities.  In order of appearance, they were:
The University of Washington in Seattle, San
Francisco State College, the University of
California in Berkeley, California College of the
Arts and Crafts (CCAC), and Mills College.
Scattered in there somewhere is roughly two years
of college.  That is all I ever did.  No, I did
not graduate from a higher learning
establishment.  What I did was the only
alternative, at least as far as my mother was
concerned.  And that was:  I got married.  The
M.R.S. degree.  Before that, I went from school
to school for one quarter or one semester each.
Cal Berkeley was on a quarter system and I took
one quarter, then dropped out three quarters in a
row.  At CCAC, I didn't even last a semester.  I
had hoped to learn how to illustrate my own
books, but in order to take classes in
illustration, I had to take several semesters of
pre-requisites.  The pre-requisites were
remedial, or at least seemed that way to me.  I
was spinning my wheels, bored and unhappy as
well.  A few weeks of this was all I could take.
I just didn't show up any more, and dropped out
officially somewhere along the line.  In fact,
the memories of CCAC are unclear.  What I do
recall is carrying a huge sheet of copper under
my arm for metal working class, trying to get on
a bus and slipping so that the metal sheet cut me
in the arm pit.  Arm pit hair does not protect
you from such adventures.

	Mills College is a prestigious girl's
school.  Then we were girls or ladies.  Now we
are women.  But girls and ladies had not become
women yet when I went to school.  Mills was known
for its music department.  It was the post
graduate music department that was actually good,
but I never got that far.  I took the music
classes they required and enrolled in a creative
writing class.  In the creative writing class
there was an unspoken competition for the deepest
girl in the class award.  Our poetry was moody
and excessively self conscious, relying on the
hopelessness of existence for fodder.  Maybe.
"tortured," is the right word to use.  The
professor's job was to keep the girls a little
shallower and give us the cook's tour of writing
genres.  One of my poems started out, "Mesozoic
pale of night . . . ".  The beginning was hot.
The rest of it went on in free association,
mostly surreal.  All my years being raised by
crazy people came in handy now.  I discovered
there was a word for my father's parenting style:
surrealism.

	I wonder as I look back on my horrible
college years, whether anyone else knew how
disturbed I was.  I was probably the most deeply
disturbed girl in the writing class.  Does that
mean I won the competition, or did it disqualify
me?  What an awful awful age that is: late teens,
early twenties.  For me, it was one horrendous
assault on the belief system after another.  I
was unready to join the world on its own terms.
Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, my parents
were able to support me while I flailed around,
drowning in my sea of confusion.  I had  no
skills in life.  I had no ability to survive in
the real world, and no concept of what the real
world was.  I thought that I could live on my
talent alone.  That would keep people praising
me, strewing my path with rose petals.  Somehow
it would translate into a life, a functioning
life.  But it never did.  I graduated from my
blazing trials at college directly into the
protective shade of marriage.  When I swore my
eternal love to Dweller, I was creating a pact
that he would take over where my parents left
off.  He would pay for my food, clothing, and
shelter, for the incidentals like an occasional
camping trip, a rare pair of earrings.  In
return, I would entertain him, feed him, delight
him, surprise him, love him.

	That wasn't enough.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro