TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 144

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Feb 7 08:13:16 PST 2007

February 7, 20000000007

Dear Friends,

	This morning I have my writing class.
It's a course in creative non-fiction.  There are
about eight people in the class.  I say, "about
eight people", because it is frequent that
someone doesn't show, so there aren't usually the
full eight people present.  The teacher is
terrific.  His name is Andy Couturier
(ko-TUR-ee-ay) and he wrote a book called,
"Writing Open the Mind".  He has these wonderful
exercizes for writers, all about getting a grip
on your creative unconscious.  He teaches without
whipping us, and all the critiques are done
according to a set of rules he has figured out in
order to make the critiques positive and useful.
No one gets shredded to ribbons and slinks out,
humiliated and beaten.  I would recommend his
book.  I have it and refer to it for all sorts of
ways to get unstuck, to enliven my writing (Oh,
I'm sure you've seen a lot of that).

	Today is a special day at the writing
class because it's my turn to bring my writing
in.  I spent the last half hour copying and
collating and stapling nine copies of my
selections.  It had to conform to five pages
double space.  But people break the rules in
Andy's class all the time.  One guy brought in
nine pages, five of them single space, and only
four double spaced, and no one complained.  The
idea is, we take these offerings home and have a
chance to read them several times and make
comments on them, write out something helpful for
the author.  The authors give us a few questions
to mull over if we feel like it.  And any
question is fine.  We are also encouraged to say
what we don't want to hear, e.g., I don't want
any grammatical corrections.  Then we all bring
them back the next week, and deliver our oral
report to the author, one at a time.  This time,
I selected three Life Story excerpts, and asked
three questions, then decided to request
something I really needed.  The fourth "question"
is: Tell me something good about my writing.  I
need some encouragement."  And they will do it.
I have a way of hearing the critique and
remembering only the negative.  I wish I could
rid myself of that.  So far, my attempts have
been unsuccessful.

                          ®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®
                          ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç®ç

Skillful players

	We had a family dinner to go to in San
Francisco, and Gramma Fannie had already put in
her call to my mother begging her, "Let them look
nice."  A curious way to put it, as if my mother
were holding us back.  You know, I was thinking
of wearing this lovely frock with matching shoes,
my hair done up just so, and the proper amount of
lipstick, but my mother won't let me, so I guess
I'll go in this shmatta with the torn pockets,
and I'll skip combing my hair.  Damn!  I went
into my closet and selected a suitable dress, put
on my shoes, put up my hair and waited for
departure while doing my homework.

	Upstairs, a crisis was brewing.  Dana
couldn't find anything to wear.  It is true that
she had a whole walk-in closet full of clothes,
but there was nothing hanging in it that was to
her liking.  I heard her swaying and scraping
from her room to her closet, moaning as one
suddenly bereft of a spouse.

	"I've got nothing to wear!  There's nothing to wear!"

	Then I heard my mother coaxing her, making suggestions:

	"How about this?"

	"Nooooo!  I can't!"

	"What about this?"

	"Noooo!  It doesn't fit!"

	When all her recommendations had been
rejected, she reminded Dana to choose something
because we had to leave in twenty minutes.  Then
she came downstairs shaking her head, worried.
This was when Dana announced that she wasn't
coming.  She stripped naked, got into her bed and
pulled the covers up over her head.  Her dilemma
wasn't really that she had nothing to wear.  What
she didn't have was a body she liked enough to
clothe and bring into public.  She was overweight
according to fashion, repulsive according to
herself.  The clothes in her walk-in closet were
just reminders.

	I still don't understand what would have
been so terrible if she hadn't come.  What was
the imperative?  But evidently there was some
consummately compelling reason why she had to
come with us.  Our little family was gathering at
the foot of the stairs leading to the bedrooms.
Dana was eighteen and on the cusp of
independence.  All the action was hers to
dictate.  We all looked up the stairs toward her
room.

	My mother was wringing her hands in
anxiety, the Brodofsky gene insinuating itself
into the angle of her wrists, the twist of her
fingers.  Woe!  Oh, woe!  Dana might not come.
What excuse can we possibly give?

	"Dana doesn't feel well," sounded good
enough to me.  "Dana had too much homework, and
couldn't make it," was another good one.  But my
parents just wouldn't consider that.  The clock
was ticking.  My mother went back upstairs.  She
knocked on her door.

	 "Dana, get dressed."

	"Nooooo!"

	"Dana, we have to leave in fifteen minutes."

	"I caaaaaaan't!  Leave me alooone!"

	My father parted Daniel and me and strode between us.

	"Mickey, let me handle this!" he
pronounced clapping his hands, then rubbing them
together vigorously.  "Watch this!" he added,
checking around to see that we were all paying
attention.  He marched purposefully up the stairs
and pushed my mother aside.  He banged on Dana's
door.

	"I'll give you to the count of three!" he
bellowed, his face turning red, the veins on his
neck standing out like cables.  "One!"  He looked
around at us.  "Two!"  He took a deep breath.
"THREE!"  He swung the door open, invaded her
bedroom.

	"Go away!" she yelled.  "I'm not going!"

	He ripped the covers off of the bed
exposing her crumpled up, nude on her mattress.
"You'll come!"

	"Noooo!"  She grappled for the covers.

	Amidst the shouting match,

	"Go away!"

	"You'll come!"

	"How dare you!"

	"You're coming!"

he took hold of his eighteen year old daughter by
the great toe of her left foot and dragged her
off of her bed onto the floor, then across the
floor, out of her room and down the stairs, her
head bouncing on every carpeted step, as she
clawed the rug.  He pulled her by her toe down
the tiled steps to the front entrance way.  Then
ceremoniously he dropped her toe and dramatically
wiped his hands of her.

	The rest of us were frozen in place.
This was another of the marvellous scenes that
we'd come to know and love.  The spectacle of my
older sister being yanked by her toe completely
naked through half the house and deposited in the
front hallway was too humiliating to witness.
Like a wreck at the side of the freeway, we
gaped, gob smacked, and shuddered.

	Dana scrambled up the stairs to her room,
put something, anything, on and went down to the
car with the rest of us.  All the way over to San
Francisco, she sniffed and glowered at her
father.  My mother was silent.  Daniel and I
tried to play a few games.  Justin was
triumphant.  He drove the car triumphantly.  He
boasted about his own capabilities triumphantly.
He had won.

	But that would be underestimating my
sister's prowess ("prowess", like, "actress,"
and, "waitress," is a female word).  She got even
that evening by forcing a show down at the family
gathering.  There were upwards of twenty five
people there,  all the feuds and gossip gurgling
just below the surface of the conversation.  And
there, on top, Dana found an arguable point with
Justin.  They got into a tiff, and still red in
the face from crying, she abruptly stood up from
the table, slammed her napkin down and hollered,
"You bastard!" at his eyeballs.  "God damn you!"
And she stumbled to the front door, flung it
open, stomped off to the car and hid there for
the rest of the evening.  This left my father
standing at the table with insolence stuck to his
face.  He had no explanation for, "Goddamn you!
You bastard!"  She was gone, out of sight.  No
one could stare at her.  But all twenty five
people were staring at him.  She showed him.  A
scene for a scene.  This is how the game is
played by truly excellent players.  It was always
inspiring to witness.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA