TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 138

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Feb 1 07:42:20 PST 2007

February 1, 2000000007

Dear People that Count,

	I was downstairs five minutes ago,
opening cans of salmon.  Little round cans.  I
opened up five of them, then went back to squeeze
the juice out of them, leaving the dry meat.  I
emptied the dry meat into the plastic
refrigerator box, and added mayonnaise.  Then I
stirred.  I stirred some more.  This is what
Meyshe has for his lunch.  A sandwich made of
salmon meat.  Every day of the school week.  He
has a salmon sandwich on whole wheat bread with
tomato slices and lettuce on it.  I've seen him
eat this.  He opens up the sandwich, takes out
the lettuce and eats it, then the tomatoes and
eats them.  Then he puts the thing together again
and eats the salmon and bread.  I get his
sandwich ready for him, wrap it up, put it in a
plastic bag, tape it shut.  Lower that into a
lunch bag (plastic) and fold up some paper towels
for him to use to wipe that face I love so much.
Then his lunch is ready except for the banana
which he gets from upstairs in the garage.  If we
kept bananas in the kitchen, the smell would make
me sick.  I have this thing about bananas.  I
don't know whether I would survive a lunch that
was the very same every day.  Even when we were
in the caves, we didn't have the same thing for
lunch every day.  One day it would be berries
picked from a bush.  The next day, a scrap of raw
meat from a recent kill.  The next day, grubs,
the next day nothing.  But Meyshe does quite well
with it.  He is habitual.  Just recently, the
breakfast cereal magically transformed from years
of Cheerios, to raisin bran, and it was as if a
new addiction had been born.  Cheerios were
forgotten utterly in favour of the raisin bran.
I now buy raisin bran by the truck load.  That
and milk.  We go through six gallons of milk in
as many days.  I remember when villainman's boys
were coming up, we had a separate refrigerator, a
little one, for the milk products, because we
just couldn't fit them all in the regular fridge.

	And as I think about our dearths and
girths, I note that we are due to go to Costco.
We're out of so much.  O-bla-dee. O-bla-dah.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
                             ¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Another milestone

	When I fell in love with Arthur Glickman,
it was the first time I'd fallen in love.  It was
all new to me.  I'd spotted him in the hallway in
the music department at the University of
California at Berkeley, on the first day of
attendance.  Another music major.  He was talking
animatedly to a cluster of his friends.  He
bounced up and down on the balls of his feet and
gesticulated with his arms.  He had a high laugh,
a head full of shocking orange hair, a full beard
and moustache.  Right then, as if I were a
duckling hatching out of my lonesome egg, setting
eyes first on him, I became imprinted with his
looks, his voice, his rhythm, his gestures.  I
could not get him out of my mind.

	It turned out we had the same piano class
together.  This was the dummy piano class for
those of us who didn't have familiarity and
proficiency on the keyboard.  We would learn to
read simple piano pieces, practice scales and
chords, all twenty of us in a room full of
electric keyboards with the headphones in our
ears.  We both arrived early for the class and
sat on the floor outside the designated room, our
backs against the wall and our legs sticking
straight out.  He told me he'd just returned from
Bogota, Columbia where he'd been an exchange
student.  Other than that, I cannot remember what
we talked about, but the rapport was
instantaneous.  We made each other laugh and we
made each other reflect.  We were in sync.  It
got to be habitual, meeting before class in the
hallway, and then it got habitual walking off
together after class.  It was the last class of
the day for us.  We both lived south of campus,
he in the upstairs of a house that the owner, a
woman in her sixties, rented out to students, and
I in a duplex on Parker Street.  We stood on the
corner where we would part in different
directions for home, and we talked.  The talk
became a marathon.  An hour or two we stood
there, ignoring our homework, our roommates'
expectations and all our other responsibilities.
We couldn't say goodbye.  So it was, that one day
Arthur would come down to my apartment and
another day, I would go with him to his.

	When we went to his place, we had to pass
the landlady as we climbed the stairs to the
upper floor.  She sat in her living room,
reading, her eyes bugging out of the back of her
head as the new girlfriend ascended into the
hedonic den.  If she weren't reading, she was
standing at the window making sure no students
from the junior high school came by to steal
fruit from the tree in her front yard.  She
shooed them away loudly, running to the front
door and leaping to the porch, waving her arms
around, telling, "the darkies", to disperse.  She
had no qualms about using the word, "darkies," in
front of us.  We were all white, so in her mind,
we must all be members of the National
Association of Superior White People.  No one
dared call her on her bigotry.  After all, Arthur
and his roommates needed a place to stay.

	I got along with his roommates well
enough, though Arthur and I didn't pay much
attention to them when I came over.  We spent our
time in his room, leaning out the two windows and
talking to each other like that, close to the
tree that flourished on that side of the house.
We talked.  We talked some more.  We laughed and
stared at each other and the air was so heavy
with sexuality that it was on the verge of
precipitation.  But we did not kiss.  We were
working up to it.  When Arthur came to my place,
there was more interaction with the room mates
because I shared a room with Patty.  We'd
actually gone to junior high school together.
And when I showed up having answered the ad for a
roommate, we looked at each other saying, "What
are you doing here?"  This is how I got the job:
prior connections.  I had a bed along the outside
wall, and Patty's bed was at diagonals to mine,
in the other corner.  We had our furniture
arranged to form two separate areas, but it was
all so close that we could hear each other sigh.
This is why Arthur and I chose the living room to
do our courtship dance while Patty slept in the
bedroom.  We sat on the couch, likely as not
getting stoned on grass, and fixating on each
other, every inch.  On one such evening, we wound
up falling over on the couch crushing a newspaper
photograph of Pierre Mendes France drinking a
glass of milk.  We kissed then for the first time
and decided to hang the clipping of the Frenchman
with his glass of milk on the door to his room.

	Each time we kissed we kissed more.  We
kissed until we were sore.  We kissed until our
chins were red from abrasive action.  We kissed
until we were exhausted from it.  We talked about
sex, but not about having sex.  I was very much a
virgin, an outspoken one.  My history did not
include a healthy attitude about sexual urges,
and so I chose to advertise that I was a virgin.
I didn't do those things.  Maybe I didn't even
want those things.  But I started to let up on my
announcements because I could sense I wasn't
going to be a virgin that much longer.  I was
nineteen, and barely been touched.  This was
different, however.  Everything with Arthur was
different.  We swore our love for each other as
many times a minute as we could, making our
tongues twisted from reciting, "I love you more,"
"No, I love YOU more," a thousand times at a
sitting.  Arthur was not a virgin.  He told me
he'd had sex with a prostitute in Italy, and that
he, "sort of came".  He had difficulty finishing
the act.  I had difficulty beginning it.  This
went on for three weeks at least, and our piano
playing was getting no better.  Our singing
voices were being exercized, though, and we sang
together, everything we could get our hands on.

	What I remember most about Arthur in
these first soaring stages of our tragic
relationship is that I trusted him.  I abandoned
my caution and allowed myself to blend souls with
him.  I had never done that before with a male.
I hadn't thought it possible.

	He was over at my place, and it was a
Sunday morning, early.  He'd spent the night in
my bed, a single bed, so we were awfully close to
each other.  I had decided between me and myself
that I was going to donate my virginity to
Arthur, but I was scared to death of pregnancy.
That morning, we were kissing in bed, rolling
around in each others' arms.  I excused myself
and went off to the toilet.  When I sat down, I
saw the blood of menses in my underwear.  I
cleaned up, put on fresh underwear and climbed
back into bed.  I looked over at Patty, who was
still asleep or doing a fine job of faking it.
As I climbed into bed, I said to him, "It's all
right.  I've got my period.  I can't get
pregnant.  We can make love."

	There wasn't much more preamble to it
after that.  I crawled on top of Arthur and we
managed to put the male plug in the female
socket.  He didn't move much.  Suddenly an
overwhelming feeling of consummate dizziness came
over me.  I was transported with deep gasping
breaths to another world, and then it was over.
I cleared my head.  Where had I been?  Arthur
looked up at me and said, "You came didn't you."
He said it like an accusation.  I reacted
defensively.  I was being scolded.  I said, "What
makes you think so?"  And he answered in that
same accusatory tone with a bit of denigration
tossed in, "I could tell by the way you acted."
Then he looked away from me.  It all made it seem
like he'd caught me at something I should not be
caught doing.  I was shamed.  I swallowed my
sexuality in that instant, and for the next
twenty years could feel nothing at all when I
made love.  I kept looking for that same
pervasive, ecstatic feeling that I'd experienced
with Arthur that first time, but I never found
it.  I was numb from the waist down.

	I used to wish I'd experience good sex
before I died.  But there wasn't much chance of
it.  Arthur had reinforced what my father had
started out teaching me: that sex and desiring
sex was crude, incestuous, demeaning and a
violation.  It was like a wash of some vile
liquid that you couldn't get off of your skin.
The scent would stick to you forever.  I feared I
stank of sex.  I had done something nasty by
wanting it.  I would never recover.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA