TheBanyanTree: Silver Bells

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 21:05:14 PST 2007

I am glad your cold doesn't go on and one for weeks.  It sounds a  doozy.

Here, I go through the motions of Christmas, the wreath, the tree, the
manger scene, writing out the cards, but without snow, it isn't the same.   I grew
up with mountains of snow for Christmas, school holiday spent shoveling  the
driveway and sidewalk, and we lived on a corner, so it meant shoveling both
directions. I can remember my feet so cold my entire body ached during the
warmup when I would at last go inside. I can remember my nose freezing  shut, my
breath frosting my ski mask with ice. I can remember chipping icy poop  out of
the horse stalls, and getting something cold and sharp in my eye. I can
remember the cozyness of a cave hollowed out of a snowdrift, my brother and I
huddled inside.

Here, I water the scrawny palm tree, plug in my Christmas lights strung
along the hedge, and pretend it's Christmas.