TheBanyanTree: Educating Foreigners

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 2 13:09:45 PST 2007

English-Canadian musical genius (also a bagpiper, and resident of
Australia for some years), Anna Russell, noted that when they piped the
haggis, they kept playing when it was served, so as to keep your mind
off what you were eating.

But for those who asked or dared not, Sassenach is a Scots form of
"Saxon", usually used in a slightly pejorative sense.  The sort of
person who uses it often wishes he or she had English blood, preferably
on a claymore, but the use here lacked any overt shredding intent.

The Welsh language has a similar word with similar overtones.

I will now return to my normal watchful somnolence.

peter

--

   _--|\     Peter Macinnis, science gossip and word herder
  /     \    coach, Australian formation pogo-stick team