TheBanyanTree: Educating Foreigners

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sat Dec 1 14:31:36 PST 2007

For shame!  Neeps are turnips.

My children, adorned with the blatantly Sassenach names Angus, Catriona
and Duncan tell me that the neeps are what make the haggis taste good.

Only joking -- about the haggis.  Neeps, however remind me of Dr
Johnson's definition of oats as something which in England is fed to
horses, but in Scotland, is fed to the people.  Neeps are given to the
people in Scotland, and to the compost heap elsewhere.

peter

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis            petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \   de Bergerac Reader in Comparative Nosology, and deputy
  \.--._*   cleaner, Tooleybuc School of Arts and Creative Lambence
       v    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm