TheBanyanTree: MY WORST ROAD TRIP

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 09:57:06 PST 2007

Monique Colver wrote:
> I love road trips.

I love road trips, too.  Some people have the 'settling down' gene and
they get rooted to one place.  I have the opposite, the rolling stone
gene, which I got from my ancestors.  In trying to trace my genealogy, I
have come to the conclusion that all my forefathers and foremothers were
the kind of people who picked up and moved when things got civilized
enough for someone to try and count heads.  I can't really say that I've
had a bad road trip, but then I've never traveled with a diarrheal Ash.
I've met Ash.  He is related to Tigger, and Tiggers, as we all know have
"bottoms made out of rubber and their tails are made out of springs."
That's Ash, and having a seatbelt for that sweet but overly friendly guy
is a really good idea.

I have had some very interesting road trips, however, especially
traveling with my parents.  The first one that comes to mind could
probably be called my parents' worst road trip.  Father was stationed at
Huntsville, Alabama in the late 50's and one Christmas, Mother, Father,
our Siamese cat and I had driven all the way out to Huntington Beach
California for the holiday.  There were no interstates then - it was all
two-lane roads like Route 66, where we spent all day passing cars and
trucks, only to stop for gas and a potty break and then have to pass the
same ones again.  My mother unfortunately came from one of  those
families that put the fun in dysfunctional, and I had a pretty miserable
time, so for some reason she decided to buy me a parakeet.  I remember
going into an enormous flight cage with the breeder, where we stood in
the middle of a whirlwind of birds and the breeder just reached up and
snatched one out of the air.  She told me that it would talk if I
repeated the same phrase over and over, so for the entire trip back
across the country I sat in the back seat with the bird and the cat,
repeating "pretty bird, pretty bird" and "Help!  The Cat!  Help!  The
Cat!"  By the time we got home to Huntsville, the bird not only said
those phrases, but could mimic the cat's meow perfectly because the cat
sat there glaring at the cage swearing at the bird the whole time.  It
didn't occur to me how intolerable that must have been for my parents to
hear that over and over again for days on end until I had kids of my
own.  Years later I asked Mother about it, and she casually admitted
that after the first day they both were ready to strangle bird, cat and
me, not necessarily in that order, but it was keeping me entertained so
they just gritted their teeth and put up with it.  Saints, both of them.

My father had an uncanny knack for getting lost.  During the three years
we were stationed in Germany, we traveled roads no American had been on
since the war and had great adventures.  Once we were going to Amsterdam
and his sense of misdirection lead us instead to a village out in the
middle of nowhere that was having their spring tulip parade, so we
joined the people lining the street and were immediately recognized as
Americans.  Someone went to get the mayor, who invited us up to the
reviewing stand with the town dignitaries.  We had our pictures taken
with the mayor in front of all the floats, and then joined him for the
big banquet in the town square afterwards, where everyone in town came
by the table to shake our hands and say how glad they were that we were
there for their parade.

Then there was the trip to Italy, where Father took a wrong turn going
over the Alps, a terrible mountain thunderstorm moved in and we finally
crept into a tiny village late at night.  There was nothing that looked
like a hotel, so we went to the local police station to ask if there was
a place to stay.  We ended up at the police chief's house, where we
stayed three days because the road had washed out.  No one spoke
English, we didn't speak Italian, and everyone had a great time.  Mother
and I "helped" the chief's wife in the kitchen by sitting on stools out
her way, and watching her while she lectured us non-stop on the
intricacies of North Italian cooking while turning out massive
quantities of food (think of the scene from Under the Tuscan Sun where
she's feeding her work crew!) and Father went out with the townsmen to
shovel mud off the road.  Getting to Rome turned out to be an anticlimax
after that nameless tiny village.

Father had to go to the Army headquarters in Brussels frequently, and on
one trip someone drew him directions on the back of a napkin for a
"shortcut" to get there.  Mother kept telling him that she didn't think
the road we were on was the right one, and just like most men, that only
made him more determined that he was right.  The road turned from paved
two lane to dirt two lane.  From dirt two lane to dirt one lane.  From
dirt one lane to grassy track with twin ruts.  From grassy track into a
farmyard and into the barn.  Where we drove, because Father was
completely positive that the track would go through the barn, out the
other side and on to Brussels.  I bet the farmer is still telling about
the crazy Americans who drove right into his barn one day.

This September, Gerry and I spent a month wandering around the Four
Corners area and I was able to complete the circle on one of my most
memorable trips with my parents.  Father was stationed in Salt Lake City
and I was going to college there.  During spring break, we went down to
the brand new national park, Canyonlands, just outside of Moab, Utah.
There was a rutted, washboard dirt road out to the park, where there was
absolutely nothing but a plywood shack for a ranger station and amazing
views in every direction.  The ranger told us that if we didn't want to
take that same road back to Moab, there was another road.  It was built
to drive cattle from the canyon up to the plateau, and later it had been
used to carry uranium from mines in the valley floor up to Moab for
processing.  So we headed down that road.  "Down" is the operative
word.  The cliffs of Canyonlands are red sandstone that drops straight
down 2000 feet to the valley floor, and this road was literally chiseled
out of the side of the vertical cliff and it was one pick-up truck plus
12" wide.  It switched back and forth in dozens of hairpin turns and
once we were on it, there was no turning around or backing up.  The
first stretch wasn't too scary.  It was a little wider than the rest of
the road and the drop-off was on the driver's side.  Then came the first
hairpin turn, where we squeaked around the curve and then the drop off
was on the passenger side.  Mother could look straight down forever.
She put fingernail marks in the bottom of the seat, holding her side of
the truck up, and at the second switchback we stopped and she and I
switched places so she couldn't look over the side.  The rest of the
trip down, she sat there with her hands over her eyes, saying over and
over again, "At least we'll all die together."  But we didn't die and
when we finally got down to the valley and followed the road out away
from the cliff a short way, we stopped and were going to take a picture
of the road.  Only looking up from the base of the cliff, the road
completely disappeared.  It was a very Twilight Zone kind of feeling.
For years we told the story of the greatest of all Father's "shortcuts"
but we were all pretty sure that road was quickly cut off by the park
service and most likely didn't exist any more.  So when Gerry and I got
to Canyonlands in September, we stopped at the visitor center and I told
one of the rangers my story.  She laughed, especially about the dieing
part, and told me that the road was still in operation; in fact, it
started right behind the visitor center and if we had a high-clearance
4-wheel drive vehicle and a few hours, we could make the trip again.
There is an overlook where we could look down at the road in all its
layers of back-and-forth, so I finally have pictures of the invisible
road that was the most memorable of driving misadventures.  But we
didn't drive down it.  I have learned that what was perfectly fine at
the age of 19 is not so much fun at 60.  I was quite satisfied to just
look and be able to say "I've been down that."

Theta