TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 195

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Apr 6 13:04:19 PDT 2007

April 5, 20000007

Dears,

	By the end of the second seder, I was
ready to collapse inside my own clothing, a
cartoon like act where the clothes sit there
alert while the human being inside them withers
away into a nubbin and then disappears in a puff
of smoke.  The second seder with the sixteen
people (not seventeen) went well, and the food
was startlingly good.  The most fun was watching
everyone, the adults and the kids wandering
around the house looking for the afikomen.
Whoever found the most got a prize.  The second
most got a prize, and the bronze winner got a
prize, too.  The rest of them were out of luck,
and could only reward themselves by eating the
matzah they'd found secreted in mystifying places
all over the main floor of the house.  But they
couldn't eat it, actually, because you never know
how long it's been sitting in its hiding place.
Every year, someone finds a piece of the afikomen
that had been there since the seder a year ago.
Tuesday night, someone found a piece of the
afikomen that was above the lintel of the
bathroom door.  No one could remember when it was
put there.  It could have been years.  Matzah has
a long shelf life.

	I am back to my old self, almost.  The
day of the big seder, I got up at 5:00 to make
sure Feyna got off to the airport limousine by
5:30.  It was a good thing I did, too.  At 5:30,
I saw no sign of her upstairs, except for her
bowl of cereal which she'd placed out on the
counter to soak.  I went down to her lair in the
basement and found her lying on her bed in her
jammies, snoring.

	"Feyna!  It's 5:30.  The bayporter should
be here to pick you up now.  You have to get up!"

	"It's only 4:30."

	"No, Feyna, it's 5:30!"

	"It's 4:30."

	"No, Feyna.  It is 5:30 and you better
get up fast, get dressed and get out to the curb."

	"What am I gonna do?"

	"You're going to get dressed like
lightning and grab your suitcase before they get
here."

	She got up quickly and came upstairs
immediately to eat her cereal.  I was astonished!
I would have skipped breakfast so fast it would
have made your head spin.  But she went ahead and
sat there, spooning it in before returning
downstairs to get dressed and prepare herself.
Luckily, the bayporter was ten minutes late.  She
made it.

	Later, she called from Tijuana, full of
enthusiasm.   What were they doing?  They were
going to go to Costco in Tijuana!  Costco??  Why
go to Costco?  You can do that anywhere!  But
that's what they were going to do.  Travel to new
places, do old things.  I should have told her to
pick up a gallon jug of Best Foods mayonnaise for
me.

                               éüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüé

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

How to prove, "I love you"

	During our short lived cohabitation on
Spaulding Street, Arthur and I tried out for the
roles of husband and wife.  It was a one bedroom
apartment in the back of a house.  There was a
long walkway to the left of the front door of the
main house that zigzagged to the entrance to our
nest.  I don't call it a love nest because there
was scant little love that went on in there.  I
remember going to bed at night, lying there in
the dark, waiting for Arthur to prove that he
loved me by wanting to make love to me.  That was
the sign I was waiting for.  How did I come up
with that equation?  Where was it written that on
the nights that the honey pie wishes to make
love, he loves you, and on the nights that he
rolls over and conks out, he doesn't love you?

	I imagined him hiding on the other side
of the bed because he was in a state of utter
revulsion at the thought of me.  I had not yet
learned to hide on my side of a bed, holding in
whatever desires or revulsions of my own I might
have.  Because I needed constant proof, I
approached Arthur every night by nuzzling up to
him, nestling against his back, kissing his
shoulders, reaching for his penis.  He would
shrink from me, shake me off, say, "Do we have to
do this again?  We made love last night!"  So,
naturally, I was soaked in shame.  I must be a
sex crazed pervert.  How could I desire physical
union when Arthur, who must be the normal one,
since if I knew anything it was that I was not
normal, was sated by last night's love making, or
last week's, or last month's?  It was I who was
in error.  What was wrong with me that I needed
sex so frequently?

	And I wanted experimentation, too.  I
subtly suggested oral sex, and Arthur was
repulsed. "That's disgusting," he commented, and
folded himself up in a Z to protect his very
private parts from the bearded lady sharing the
bed.  I took these refusals as indictments
against me as a woman, me as a human being, me as
a functioning unit with working parts.

	I was wearing my night gown, sitting on
the edge of the bed, cross legged.  Arthur
reached over and tugged at the hem of my night
gown.  He pulled it over my knees.

	"Cover yourself.  It's not exactly the
most beautiful part of a woman's body."

	And cover myself, I did.  Twice over and
forever after.  I do not walk in front of the
partner unclothed.  I change from my street
clothes into my night clothes, magically, without
exposing any part of my body that is
questionable.  An arm, yes.  A foot, fine.  Even
a knee, passable.  But a breast, no.  A sprout of
pubic hair, no.  A tuchas, no.  See how much I
learned from Arthur!  But as chicken as he was
about sex, he was courageous in other realms.

	One Sunday, we'd taken our breakfast at
the International House of Pancakes.  We wiped
our mouths, paid our bill, left a tip, and walked
outside.  Before we could turn in the direction
of our apartment, a strange man, our age, bumped
into Arthur, and called him by name.

	"Arty!  What are you doing here?"

	"Leo!  I thought you were in New York!"

	The old schoolmates stood there at the
corner, animated, laughing, recalling names and
events.  Arthur turned to me.  He introduced me
to Leo, as his woman, and Leo was introduced as
an old friend from high school.  We invited him
back to our place for dinner that night.  He
accepted.  He showed up with a bunch of flowers
in his hands, and presented them to me.  I put
them in a tomato sauce can.  They spread out
loosely and hung over the edge.  I set the
bouquet on the window ledge above the sink.

	I stirred and sauteed, heated up and
seasoned our dinner.  We had no table, so we took
our plates to the living room and sat on the
floor.  Leo ate every molecule of food on his
plate.  Being a proper hostess, I offered Leo
some grass for dessert.  Oh, Leo had had grass
before, and this was a fine idea to him.  We
passed the joint around and dislocated our
brains.  Acting out my role as home maker, I
cleared all the dishes, brought them to the sink,
and stacked them haphazardly atop the pots and
pans I'd used in cooking the meal.  The kitchen
was an appalling chaotic mess, not a square inch
of counter space visible.  This was not a job I
was able to undertake while stoned.  I returned
to Leo and Arthur and listened to them rant on
about high school in Jamaica, Queens, New York.
It was like watching a ping pong game.  Follow
the ball with your eyes.  First Arthur said
something.  Then Leo said something.  Then Arthur
said something.  Then Leo said something.  Then
Arthur froze in his tracks, his eyes fixed on
Leo.  I looked over at Leo.  He was acting
strangely.  He was grimacing, then covering his
mouth with his hands.

	He leapt up abruptly, ran like hell into
the kitchen and sprayed his dinner all over the
bouquet of flowers and vomited a thick layer onto
the stack of dishes, pots and pans in the sink.
I directed him to the bathroom.  He kept
apologizing.

	"No.  No.  I'm sorry.  Maybe I poisoned you."

	I bestowed upon him a towel, a wash rag,
a fresh bar of soap, and offered that he take a
shower.  He was covered in his own puke.  I told
him I'd find him some fresh clothes.  He could
borrow some from Arthur.  They were about the
same size.  He shuffled off into the bathroom and
stared at the shower curtain.

	I left him there and went back to join
Arthur staring at the unspeakable mess in the
kitchen.  Food in several incarnations was
globbed all over everything.  We stood there,
stoned out of our minds, watching vomit settle
over plates and bowls, the faucet dripped into
the sink.

	"Still life with puke."

	What went through my mind was, "I can't
do this.  I don't know where to begin.  I want to
run home to my mother."

	Arthur shook his head clear of whatever
he was thinking.  He put his hand on my shoulder.
He said, "I'll do this," and he marched into the
war zone.  I was dumbfounded by his display of
bravery.  I was, in fact, humbled.  But not so
humbled that I ventured to help out.  I was in
favour of the apparent division of labour.

	Woman cooks and feeds.

	Man hoses down vomitus.

	Hypnotized, I watched Arthur turn on the
faucet, employ a sponge and dish soap, go at the
shrine with alarming fortitude.  When he was
done, I applauded.  Leo emerged from the shower
sheepishly, asked for a bag to put his ugly
clothes in, and thanked us for our compassion.
We spent the rest of the evening in the
laundromat washing Leo's vestments, chatting
about nothing much, and acquiring gradual
sobriety.  That night, Leo slept on our living
room floor.  Arthur and I slept on opposite sides
of the bed.  But I didn't need any proof that
night.  To do what he volunteered to do, he had
to love me.

                               éüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüéüé

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net