TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 208

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Apr 27 08:14:26 PDT 2007

April 26, 20000000007

Dear Purple,

	Yesterday's settlement conference was a
big surprise.  I arrived early and was greeted by
the judge who was in a talkative mood.  She went
on about coffee beans, how particular and rigid
we get as we age (I told her it was not rigidity,
it was the fact that with age, she had developed
an educated palate.  She laughed loud.), her
maroon carpets (she didn't want your usual boring
legal firm decor), the flowers that get delivered
every week to the office (she likes them very
much.  They are no scent arrangements.  They last
a week), the way this case has dragged on and on
(she revealed that she got to the point where she
just rolled her eyes at the  twelve page
diatribe/documents that the opposing lawyer and
clients submitted the minute before settlement
conferences).   She said that this time, all we
had to do was line up the official papers.  They
were all there, and ready to go.  We needed to go
over them for a few details, dotting Is, crossing
Ts, then sign them, and we could all go home.
That easy.  That fast.  "This is the last time
you'll see me!" she said, transforming her face
and body into a gesture of mock longing and
grief.  Actually, I thought, this would be a good
person to have as a friend.  I like her.  She's
got ethics, brains, humour, a way with words, a
good attitude about life.  How'd she start out
being a lawyer?

	Then villainman's lawyer walked in
dragging his dolly packed with briefcase and
papers.  The conversation stopped abruptly.
Sterling handed her a stack of papers.  She took
him off to another room.  By the time he came
back, my lawyer, Dennis, arrived with his own
little pushcart of briefcase, papers and files.
Sterling asked him, "Did you get my documents?"
Dennis answered him, a little perturbed, "I got
them just as I was leaving to come here.  I
printed them out; that's why I'm a little late."
"Did you read them?"  "I just got them.  I
haven't read a thing."  Oh no.  New documents.
Spread sheets and demands.  This from the ex
husband who refused to send me my support check
this month because, "We have an agreement".  Just
a penny pinching ploy.  Evidently, as shown by
the last minute papers, even he has to admit that
we didn't have an agreement.

	Dennis asked the legal secretary if we
could set up in the first conference room.  She
agreed, cheerfully, and opened the door for us.
Dennis, slapped down a pile of papers on the
desk. " This is what Sterling sent this morning.
Two documents.  One is sixteen pages long.  The
other I haven't counted."  Groan.  The judge
knocked on the door.  She came in with Sterling's
most recent offerings.  She asked Dennis if he
had had a chance to glance at any of it.  He told
her he flipped through pages while he was
printing it out, and the first and only thing he
saw was some cockamamie demand that Tobie write
letters to The Bank of America about late payment
on the mortgage.  The judge made a sweeping
gesture with her arm.  "It's gone.  Forget about
it."  Then they discussed what had to be done
that morning.  She told me they had to go over
the latest collection of commentary from the ex
and company, and I wasn't really needed for that.
I could go home.  Dennis started to push the
sixteen page package across the desk to me.  "You
could read this and hang around," he said.  The
judge looked at me and mouthed, "DON'T DO IT."
So I declined, got my things together, and left.

	So that won't be the last time I see the
judge.  And it ain't over yet.  It seems like it
will go on forever.  I'd worked myself up to face
this next phase of my life, and I had to work
myself down again.  The meeting still left me
exhausted from the adrenalin and the angst.
There will be more chapters.  Feh.


                                          ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç

Just College Boys

	My breasts used to get me into a lot of
trouble.  They were big.  In fact they were one
moment not there, and over a summer rose like
Paricutin from a field in Mexico.  I had sudden
twin volcanos.  In the ninth grade at fourteen, I
was still wearing T-shirts.  By the time tenth
grade started in the fall, at fifteen, I was
hoisting my twin volcanos around in thirty six
double D brassieres.  It was strange to me,
having these huge appendages.  I had to get new
clothes, and now my upper half wore a larger size
than my lower half.  I was terribly self
conscious about it.  I could feel the eyes of men
and boys on me.  All at once, I was a sex object.
Before, I had been invisible.  Now, I was like a
neon sign that couldn't be turned off.  When boys
in school talked to me, they focussed on my
breasts, not my eyes or my mouth, or my head in
general.  I squirmed under the scrutiny.  I could
hear the boys laughing, making jokes about me and
my new acquisitions that I'd purposefully mounted
on my chest just to tease them.  Caving in my
chest, hunching my shoulders wouldn't do it.
They were too big for that.  They would just be
there where they were, shining in the night.  The
neck of my cello could now only fit right between
them, and the shoulders either below them or
above them, otherwise, I would be squeezing
myself in two parts.  There were many
disadvantages, and I couldn't find one advantage.

	At home, my father began to ogle me, leer
at me, rub his hands together as if anxious for
something delectable to happen.  It was awful.
The whole thing was awful.  I walked around
embarrassed, cringing, knowing that they all
thought I was a slut.  I was asking for it,
because I was shaped the way I was.  And what
could be done about it?  An incurable situation.

	I wore coats to disguise myself.  Even in
the summer, I wore coats or jackets and wrapped
them around me for camouflage.  Still, the
feeling was that I was not myself any more, with
my talents and sensitivities, my sense of humour
and my heart.  I was two breasts.  The flat
chested girls didn't understand.  They'd be
openly envious.

	"Oh, I wish I had a figure like yours,"
they'd whine.  "I keep telling mine to grow, but
they don't.  You're so lucky."

	Luck had little to do with it.  This was
one of those things that ran in the family.  Both
sides, all the way back, the women were ample.
On my mother's side, more than ample.  Grama
Fannie arrived at womanhood in the teens and
twenties.  That was the era when the fashion was
to strap the breasts down, minimize them, have
the figure of a boy.  So Grama's breasts were
flattened, huge and pendulous, spread out close
to her rib cage.  When unharnessed, they reached
past her waist.  Thank you to the winds of
fashion.

	In my camouflaged state, I crept around
Berkeley High School, hoping no one would notice.
At home, I covered up as best I could.  But it
was useless.  My father would catch sight of me
and a hard lipped grin would appear on his face.
Then he'd turn red, as if he'd been caught doing
something he shouldn't do.  It was important not
to acknowledge it.  But that was near impossible.

	After school, I'd meet Yvonne at the
public library, and we'd go through the shelves
together, picking out books of romantic poetry,
or art books with lots of coloured plates.  We'd
whisper in the aisles, go to the ladies' room for
major confidences.  We'd study.  We'd enjoy each
other's company.  Then when we were done with the
library, we'd make our way to her place on the
corner of Dwight Way and Telegraph Avenue.  We'd
part somewhere on the Avenue.  She'd go home.
I'd walk to the bus stop.  Sometimes I would stop
in stores and idly look at the goods.  My
favourite place to stop was the UC Corner.  In
the back was a record store that carried
classical and ethnic folk music.  I'd fold my
arms across my chest to hide myself, and go
through the racks and racks of albums.  I'd
bolster myself for the excursion up the street
and emerge out on the sidewalk among the twenty
seven thousand, five hundred students, hoping to
blend in.

	One day, I was walking on Telegraph,
trying to make my way to the bus stop, when a
klatch of fraternity boys gathered around me.
Half of them walked in front of me, facing back
to their brothers who were walking behind me.
They had me surrounded.  They tossed a football
over my head, back and forth, back and forth.
And they made great sport of me.

	Toss.  Thunk.

	"Hey girl, you've got big ones!"

	Toss.  Thunk.

	"Wow!  Take a look at those, you guys!"

	Toss.  Thunk.

	I ducked my head down, wrapped my coat
around myself, felt the adrenalin surging in my
veins.  I headed down the Avenue looking for a
place to run and get away.

	"Hey, I bet your boobs are bigger than your head!"

	Toss.  Thunk.

	"Give us a kiss, Susie.  Show us what you've got."

	Toss.  Thunk.

	"I'd like to climb inside that dress and crawl all over those things."

	I shuddered.

	Toss.  Thunk.

	"What's the matter, Susie?  Don't be shy.  You know you love it!"

	Toss.  Thunk.

	It was a busy time of day.  The sidewalk
was mobbed.  People had to part on either side of
us as my fraternity brothers herded me down the
Avenue.  This was a public event, and everyone
was staring.

	We passed by the open doors of a clothing
store and I ran inside, stumbled over the clothes
racks to the back and busied myself, intensely,
with going through the hangers.  I was afraid the
proprietor might kick me out if I weren't
seriously shopping.

	The fraternity boys stood at the opening
to the clothing store, and called inside to me.

	"Come on out and play, Susie.  Bring it all with you."

	I didn't look up.

	They smacked their lips and laughed.
This was the most fun they'd had all day.  Tears
started forming in my eyes.  I tried to suppress
them.  But they crested over my eyelids and
streamed down my cheeks.  I wiped them away with
the sleeve of my jacket.  The owner of the store
went to the open doors and shooed the boys away.

	"You're blocking my doorway!  Go on!  Get out of here.  Break it up!"

	They laughed that they had important
business to do with a girl in the store.

	"I don't think so," said the man.  "Beat it!"

	They turned back up the street shouting
at each other and tossing their football.  I
heard them disappearing, their noise fading out.
When I could no longer hear them at all, I still
stayed in the safety of the store.  Maybe they
had slinked back quietly and were waiting for me
at the corner.  Or maybe they were already back
at their frat house collecting the extra credits
they got for harassing a co-ed.  How many points
was I worth?

	I took a billowy folk blouse off the rack
and asked to try it on.  A saleslady showed me to
the dressing room.  She said nothing about my
tears, my red eyes.  I went into the room and put
my books down on the floor.  I hung the blouse up
on a hook, took off my blouse and was about to
put the other blouse on, when I caught sight of
myself in the hideous dressing room mirror.
There I was with my two offensive, dangerous
breasts, overflowing my brassiere.  I put my
blouse back on, sat down on the chair and cried
in earnest.

	The saleslady knocked on the door.  "Are you okay in there?"

	I sucked up my tears and stiffened.  "I'm
fine.  Really.  I'll be fine."

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA