TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 206

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Apr 24 09:55:54 PDT 2007

April 24, 20000000000007

Dear Loyal Comrades,

	Well, didn't we have an exciting time
Sunday night.  Feyna is changing her meds.  The
novel anti-psychotic she is taking (she is not
psychotic.  It's just the category of drug) gives
her sleep attacks.  When I say sleep attacks, I
mean that she can be functioning just fine and
then suddenly, for no reason, she has to fall
asleep.  She has missed her stop on BART.  She
has been unable to drive.  She has fallen asleep
sitting upright in the car next to me.  She has
slept through class.  She can't help it.  It is a
sight to behold.  The head nods forward or flops
over backwards; the mouth hangs open; everything
goes limp.  This lasts sometimes for hours,
sometimes for twenty minutes.  Sometimes caffeine
can help.  Sometimes not.  So, the neuropsych is
going to switch her med to another drug that is
not in the same category.  First she has to
introduce this new med into her system, get it up
to effective dose.  Then, she'll wean herself
from the other drug that makes her go unconscious
sometimes.  At present, she is at the stage where
she is increasing the dose of the new med.  We
don't know if this had anything to do with
Sunday's events, but it's a possibility.

	She got depressed.  Then worse.  She was
panicking.  She was afraid of her life.  She was
furious with her learning disabilities.  She
feared she'd never be able to reach her goals in
school, or get a job, make a living.  Alex is
moving to Mexico (or so he says) in a couple of
months.  She will have to face a new semester in
the fall without his support and company.
Suddenly, she will be without her social
connections.  Isolated again.  The job
demonstrating and selling Cutco knives is
bombing.  It's not that she doesn't sell any
knives.  She does.  Each time she gives a
demonstration, she sells knives, but this only
happens maybe once a week, if that.  She knows
she needs to get another job, but she can't do
the usual things that entry level jobs require of
you: speed, multi-tasking, work under pressure.

	All this exploded in her head, and she
started having suicidal thoughts.  She was
terrified of them.  Sitting there trying to eat
her dinner, carving her chicken breast with my
nice new Cutco table knife, she had a sudden urge
to slice the back of her hand.  Then she had an
urge to slit her wrists, and finally, she
couldn't evict the thought of slitting her
throat.  She didn't eat, and instead, went
downstairs to her lair, where she shivered and
cried.  She tried to get hold of Alex or Natalie,
but neither was available.  I went downstairs to
check on her.  She was in dire straits.  I asked
her if she'd called her therapist, Fortunee.
Yes, she had tried, but Fortunee isn't available
on emergency bases.  Her recording directed her
to call 911 if she were having a crisis off
hours.  She cursed that unavailability.  She
swore that she would issue Fortunee an ultimatum:
either she give Feyna a number where she can
reach her at off hours, or she'd have to get
another therapist.  Feyna sat there among the
crumpled tangle of her bedding.  She wept in huge
gasping sobs.  I took her in my arms and
protected her.  I stroked her hair, her back,
held her strongly.  I told her that I knew that
she wasn't going to hurt herself.  I listened to
her intently.  I took it all in, and I ached for
my daughter.  What a horrible way to feel.  I
told her I would do everything I could to help.
Then I called the neuropsych, Abrinko.  His
recording gave me another number to reach him
during evenings, weekends and holidays.  I dialed
it, and handed the phone to Feyna.  Dr. Abrinko
answered.  She retold her story.  "I'm at the
breaking point," she cried.  He assured her that
she wasn't going to harm herself, that he'd seen
her in this sort of state before several times,
and she'd never acted on any of the urges.  He
told her she was stable and sane, capable of
weathering this.  He would call Fortunee and
plead Feyna's case.  He steadied her for the
moment and asked to speak to me.

	He told me that he was sure she wasn't
going to harm herself.  I agreed.  But just to be
on the safe side, and to ease her worries, I
should, "sterilize," the house.  This meant
removing all the knives and all the medicines
that she might be able to overdose on.  He asked
to speak to Feyna again, and he calmed her.  He's
awfully good.  As soon as she hung up from Dr.
Abrinko, her phone rang again.  It was Alex.  She
cried out, "Where were you!?  I tried calling and
you didn't call back!  I needed you."  I heard
his voice on the other end of the line telling
her he'd been in transit.  He was whining.  But
speaking to Alex was just what she wanted.  She
lay back on the bed, curled up with the phone,
and her voice relaxed.  When I was sure she was
steady, I motioned to her that I had to go
upstairs.  I would check on her later.

	I went into the other room, collected her
demonstration knife collection, then went up to
the kitchen.  In the kitchen, I opened all the
drawers where knives are found.  I emptied the
knife drawer.  All those new sharp knives we
purchased from Cutco.  My daughter the knife
saleswoman.  Most of my mother's knives are so
dull you could saw your neck with them and not
even produce a crease.  But the new ones and some
of the ones that were classy wedding presents 63
years ago were sharp enough to remove.  I took
the scissors, too.   Then I went to the
silverware drawers.  That's where the piles of
steak knives are kept, mostly giveaways from gas
stations when gas stations did that sort of
thing.  Cheap plastic handles, gnarled from bouts
in the garbage disposal,  and thin serrated
blades.  Then decomposing metal handled knives,
chipping and peeling steel veneer.  I gathered up
something like fifty steak knives, put them on
the counter with the big knives from the other
drawer.  I took the Cutco table knives out of
their block, and wrapped them up in a towel, then
put a rubber band around them.  The rest of the
knives got separated out into knives to keep, and
knives to throw away.  Honestly, some of these
things had been cluttering up the drawer for
decades, never used because they were falling
apart.  My mother agreed to throw some of them
away.  I wrapped them carefully in paper towels,
then several layers of newspaper, rubber banded
them, threw them in the garbage.  The active
knives got wrapped in towels and put in shopping
bags.  Then, I rounded up the Tylenol, any
medications that could be dangerous if ingested
in quantity.  Everything in shopping bags.  My
mother and I brainstormed about where to hide all
this.  We decided on the back of her walk in
closet.  Feyna never goes into her Grama's room,
and has never seen the inside of her closet.
It's narrow and deep, and piled knee high with
obsolete clothing.  There are some drawers at the
back of the closet.  In front of the drawers
which could not open, they were so stuffed, were
disorganized heaps of retired clothes.  I dug in
deeply and deposited the grocery bag.  It was
completely invisible.  The other bag I stuffed
into my father's old closet, equally filled with
a chaos of boxes, clothing, wrapping paper, bags.
I closed both closet doors, turned off the light
on my way out of the room.  Then I sat down to
recover.

	In the middle of the night, Feyna came to
my door.  She couldn't sleep.  How was she going
to get to sleep?  I invited her to stay in my
room.  I cleared off the other half of the bed.
I told her to read a book.  A good bad book might
be just the thing.  Instead, she took up an issue
of The Funny Times, a reekingly liberal,
hilarious newspaper with cartoons, silly essays,
wry satire, Dave Barry, Garrison Keillor, Al
Franken, that sort of people.  She spread it out
on the pillow and started to read.  She laughed
(this was good).  She finally fell asleep.

	This sort of thing knocks the wind out of
me.  Her life is so fraught with struggle, wild
mood swings, desperation.  She went to school in
the morning, spent the rest of the day with Alex,
and stayed over night.  She is due here, as she
said, "early," but I haven't heard from her.  I
suppose 7:30 is way too early for, "early".

	And Meyshe is home sick.  Tomorrow is the
big divorce settlement conference.

	When do I get to take the nap?  I think today should be Friday.

                            ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                          §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Measles

	I got the measles around my seventh
birthday.  This means it was the middle of
summer, the time of heat and itching.  I may even
have had the measles ON my birthday.  My
recollection is more of the misery than the
timing.  I got it bad.  There were spots all over
me.  There were spots on my feet, in between the
toes, on the soles of my feet, between my
fingers, under my fingernails, inside my eyelids,
inside my nose, covering the curlicued expanse of
twisted skin lining the cartilage of my ear,
marching all the way into my ear hole, past my
ability to scratch.  My scalp was covered.  There
were great spatterings of measles between my
buttocks and all around my poor anus, in my poor
anus.  All surfaces were painted thickly with
measles.  It was nearly impossible to move any
part of my body without having measles rub
against each other.  I remember imagining that
this invasion of red spots was scattered
throughout my insides.  Maybe my intestines had
measles.  Maybe my veins and arteries had
measles.  Maybe my heart and my lungs had
measles.  And the fever was as if my brain were
being sauteed in a skillet.

	I was only seven.  It was my first
introduction to prolonged illness, the first time
I had to suffer longer than I could bear, longer
than I'd ever been asked to do.  My mother was
very sympathetic.  She worried visibly over my
spotted noggin.  She got out a huge jar of pink,
pasty liquid and globbed it on every measle I had
to offer.  It didn't help in the slightest.
Calamine Lotion never did what it was supposed to
do.  It was just a big bottle of off pink, chalky
pap that she shook up vigorously before applying.
While she was applying it, it may have taken my
mind off it, but the effect was purely
psychological.  Calamine Lotion was my mother's
equivalent of her mother's Vix Vapor Rub.

	When we had colds, Grama would take a
paper napkin and fold it once, then hold on to a
corner and twist it severely into a point.  It
would look like a unicorn's horn.  She'd dip this
thing into the Vix Vapor Rub until it was coated
thickly.  Then she'd do what I hated.  She'd
screw this horn up each nostril until she was
sure my nasal cavity was filled with Vix.  That
jar of hers was a fright.  When it sat there open
on the table, I could see the guck, see all the
deep holes where she'd dipped the twisted napkins
the last time I was sick.  The Vix in the jar had
a surface like ocean swells with darkened holes
poked into it.  She'd also rub the stuff on our
chests, a thick layer.  It was her miracle drug.
Smelling it gave off an initial bracing gust of
mentholated air, and after that, it was just goo,
goo sticking to my body, goo rubbing off on the
bed sheets, goo to slip and slide in, goo that
she would reapply in half an hour.

	If she had been visiting us when I had
the measles, she would have slathered Vix Vapor
Rub on my entire body.  I would itch and reek.
Wavy lines would be emanating from my body.  My
life as a cartoon.  The Calamine Lotion served a
purpose.  It brought my mother and me closer.
All that special time devoted to dabbing thick
pink glop on my myriad spots.  It was intimate.
When the Calamine Lotion didn't work, I didn't
lose faith in my mother.  Rather, I assumed that
my particular spots were so vicious that they
conquered even the best that my mother had hidden
in her bag of cures.  I was impressed with the
severity of my disease.  I wore it like a medal.
Example of bad measles, too strong for Calamine
Lotion.  I asked her to put on more, hoping that
the additional application would do it.

	But it didn't.

	While I was stewing in my measles, my
mother's brother, Harold, and his wife, Ruth,
came to visit from San Francisco.  They entered
my dark room, recoiled at the sight of me.  They
tried to hide it, but I saw them back up against
the wall, and their hair stood on end.  They
tiptoed out of the room and left the house.  When
they returned, they'd brought me a present.  It
was a pink furry stuffed animal cat.  It had a
roundish head with blunt ears, black button eyes,
four long legs and one long tail.  There was a
bell hanging from its collar and a length of
elastic sewn to the back of its neck on one end,
and looped around a plastic ring on the other.  I
liked it immediately, hugged it and heard the
little chrome bell tinkle.  I was endlessly
amused by holding the plastic ring and watching
the cat bounce on its tether.  I gave it a name,
kissed it frequently, dabbed Calamine Lotion on
it, spoke to it confidentially.  It sat beside me
in bed in the dark room.  I held it as I tried to
sleep.  My mother got me a present, too: a music
box mounted inside a miniature Swiss chalet with
a painted stream out front and a tiny water wheel
that turned as the music played.  To start the
music, you had to lift the roof of the chalet,
flip it on its hinges, right under the eaves.
The pin would be released from inside the wall
and trigger the mechanism to revolve.  The cat
could dance to the music.

	It took two weeks for these nasty measles
to fade enough for me to resume normal
activities.  Even then, there were hundreds of
little bumps still palpable on the insides of my
lips and cheeks.  I wasn't free of the measles
for four weeks.  Then I caught the chicken pox.
These sparse blisters were so benign in
comparison that I yawned through the whole
disease.  It was a minor annoyance.  I absent
mindedly scratched at the pox like a chicken
pecking at feed when it wasn't particularly
hungry.  I could even tolerate the sunlight
flowing into my room.  But I still had to put up
with the Calamine Lotion.  No help.  Dana had the
chicken pox worse than I did.  She whined and
kvetched loudly.  It was now nearing her birthday
on the fourteenth of August.  Our birthdays that
year were more philosophical celebrations.
Calamine Lotion icing on an Aspirin cake.

	It's best to get those childhood diseases
over with early on.  The longer you wait, the
worse they can be.

                            ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net