TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 200

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Apr 16 08:10:30 PDT 2007

April 15, 2000007

Dear Community,

	Last night while I was lying in bed
reading, Feyna came to my room.  She looked very
morose.  She said she wanted to ask a big big
favour of me.  Could I sleep downstairs in her
apartment?  She said she was so depressed that
she just didn't want to be alone.

	God, did I not want to go down there into
her lair and sleep in her bed or on the couch.
It's just not my place.  I've got my five pillows
arranged just so.  I've got my noise maker on the
floor playing ocean surf, song birds, buoys,
owls, hawks, loons, crickets, frogs, everything
but the railroad tracks.  And I have the fan
going, aimed at me as I sleep so I won't get
overheated.  I like my room cold at night.  Then
I can wrap up in the covers, cozy, contrastingly
warm.  And the light next to my bed is good for
reading.  I leave it on all night.  This is how
I've gotten accustomed to sleeping.  It's how I
manage sleeping, actually.  I have to have my
ritual, my arrangement, my nest.  If I don't,
then I don't sleep too well.

	So Feyna wanted me to uproot myself and
go down into her overheated apartment, sleep in
her bed.  I told her I just couldn't do it.  She
sighed a deep, sorrowful, disappointed sigh.  "I
knew you wouldn't do it.  I was afraid of this."

	We talked for a while, and I kept trying
to think of ways it would work.  Finally, I said
to her, "How about this.  I stay up here and do
my reading, and when I'm ready for sleeping, then
I'll gather my stuff and come downstairs."  She
agreed to that enthusiastically and with great
relief.  I told her it may be a while.  Maybe an
hour or two.  She said that was fine.

	I went back to my reading, being extra
careful not to nod off even for a moment.  When
I'd done most of my reading, I packed up my book,
my alarm clock, my noise maker and my Teddy Bear
(okay, so sue me) and my night cap (tiny bit of
imitation Kahlua, twice tiny bit of imitation
Bailey's, then the rest of the way up with 1%
milk.  Slightly alcoholic, creamy, delicious,
calming).  Then I descended into Feyna's
territory, my arms full, hoping I'd remembered
everything of importance.

	I knocked on the door, and first there
was no answer.  I knocked again.  No answer.  I
knocked louder.  She called out, "Come in!"  I
pushed the door open and entered.  She was lying
under an opened sleeping bag on her fold out
couch.  The cats were scurrying around.  She
followed me into her room.  Her bed hadn't been
made.  I set up shop, putting my noise maker on
the floor near the outlet, my book on the bed, my
Teddy bear near the pillow, the alarm clock and
night cap on the tall bedside table.  I turned
the lamp on.  It was on the wrong side of the bed
and it cast only a slight glow when Feyna turned
off the overhead light.  Okay, I'd have to leave
the overhead on while I read, and then get up,
turn on the bedside lamp, turn off the overhead
and get back in bed.  The other choice was to
leave the overhead on and just try to saw logs in
the bright light.  That's what I wound up doing.

	Feyna thanked me profusely for agreeing
to come down and give her some human presence.  I
told her she was welcome and repeated my concern
for her emotional state. I was glad there was
something I could do.  Feyna is moody.  Her
moods, before the medication, were so volatile
and extreme that she'd go through myriad major
mood swings in a single day.  I charted them for
a week.  It was breathtaking what she endured,
just to get through a few hours of life.  When
she started the meds, the chart stayed the same
for three days and then suddenly it all cleared
up.  Feyna was so relieved that she wept.  She's
stabilized to the point that she has mood swings,
but in a more normal arc, and there's usually
some underlying reason for the mood.  Maybe it's
her period approaching, or maybe she's scared
about school work or a test.  This time around, I
didn't even ask her.  She's been more quiet
lately.  And that's part of the separation from
her mom.

	I slept poorly.  I didn't have my
collection of pillows, and I didn't feel
comfortable in her bed.  My cat, Shulamit, came
by several times to stare at me and jump up on
the bed.  I was so glad she remembered me.  We've
been away from each other for six months almost.
I fell asleep and was awakened several times just
by the difference in situation. And by the heat.
It was so sweltering in there.  I got out from
under the covers and lay on top of the bed,
shifting around for a cool position, as if one
existed.  I woke up again at 4:30 and was
sweating heavily.  I got out of bed (or off of
bed) and went in to the other room, bent over
near Feyna's face.  I woke her up and asked if I
could go upstairs now.  She stretched and said it
was okay.  I put together my things and trudged
upstairs, and then upstairs again to my room.
With great relief, I plugged in the noise maker,
fired it up, turned on the light next to my
pillow, turned it down to "dim", climbed in and
sighed a deep satisfied sigh.

	This morning, at 10:00, I have to meet a
man named Leo Horovitz at Peet's.  I've contacted
him through Jdate.  Another attempt.  This one
has some character that comes through in his
writing.  The hitch is that he's 79, that's
twenty years older than me.  He's closer to my
mother in age than he is to me.  But, I thought
it over.  Hell, what do I care?  I'm not going to
marry him.  Maybe he'd make a nice friend to
bring to concerts or talk to on the phone.  So
I'll walk over there and hope for the best.  I
could do with a new friend.

                           ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®
                           ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Protecting Meyshe

	The battles that I had with the Berkeley
Unified School District (BUSD) over programs and
placement for Meyshe probably knocked ten years
off of my life.  It would be nice to sue them for
that, but the lawsuit, itself, would probably
knock off another ten years, and I really can't
afford it.  In fact, I really can't afford to
stir up the bile and keep stirring it up over a
prolonged period of time for any reason.  It is
bad for the jitters, bad for the immune system
and bad for the soul.

	Nevertheless, that is what I had to do to
protect Meyshe from the public school system that
was supposed to be there to nurture him, teach
him, in a way, defend his humanity against the
ignorance he would suffer without such learning.
That's the philosophical way to look at an
education.  But as soon as it was evident that
Meyshe would need special services, the school
district made it clear that its purpose was not
to educate Meyshe, or any child with special
needs, but to oppose the innocent students who
had only their parents to protect them.  The
district was a machine.  It opposed with lawyers,
with lies, cheating and malice.

	Meyshe was enrolled at Children's
Learning Center (CLC) through his eleventh year.
Then it was time for junior high school, and the
BUSD insisted that they had the perfect program
for him.  They described it as mainstreaming,
said it was good for everyone all around.  I was
skeptical.  At CLC, the classroom was composed of
round about six students and three teachers.
That's a good ratio, and one that was needed to
carry out the behavioural techniques and goals of
each child.  All three teachers had degrees in
special education.  Meyshe was used to a lot of
supervision and order.  How would he fare in a
regular junior high school setting: one teacher,
twenty five students, at the intersection of
childlike energies and encroaching hormones?  I
wanted mainstreaming to work.  I really did,
partially out of bolstering the sort of hopes I
had for Meyshe.  I wanted him to join the world,
take his place among the "normal" people.  But
junior high school kids are not normal.

	The district promised that there would be
a core classroom in seventh grade from which he
would travel out to his mainstreamed classes, a
little at a time, as he was ready for it.  But
they fought over securing an aide for Meyshe.  We
had to hit them with the hired advocate.

	When the fall began, we were surprised to
be told that there was no core class for the
seventh grade.  He would have to go into the
sixth grade.  So we agreed to that.  But then
they told us that there was no core class for
sixth grade either.  He would be mainstreamed,
with an untrained aide.  One teacher, twenty
eight kids.  I refused to have him thrown into
the waters so suddenly.   All right then.  He
would take one mainstream class, a math and
science class, and spend the rest of the day in
the special education director's office.  His
aide would coach him on the rest of his subjects.
This aide was barely a high school  graduate,
herself, probably learning the material along
with him.  This would be his education.

	It pains me to recall all this.  There is
nothing so primal as protecting one's children.
Here was an enemy, a danger to my boy, and I was
internally, instinctively compelled to save him.
We are built for the adrenalin rush: a sudden
danger from which you run and hide, or face and
fight.  But evolution has prepared us to do this
minutes at a time.  There is a predator about to
eat your child.  The adrenalin kicks in and you
uproot a tree to swat the predator, to do what a
mother does.  In five minutes, you have saved
your child, or you are both some carnivore's
dinner.  It is over.  If you've survived, the
adrenalin recedes, and you recover from the
experience.  But the BUSD required that I be
saving my child for months at a time.  I was
constantly on adrenalin, at high alert, ready to
fight at any moment.  It did me damage.

	I was ready to fight as I fell into bed
every night.  I was ready to fight as I brushed
my teeth, as I practiced the cello, as I faced my
husband and raised my children.  Come into a room
where I am sitting at the computer, concentrating
on some autism web site, or writing to one of the
kids' teachers or therapists.  Come in quietly,
on tiptoe.  Say my name softly, and the shock
sends me through the ceiling with a jolt.

	Meyshe came home from school every day,
pacing and hopping, making loud noises, jerking
his arms around, trying to shake his day off of
him.  I decided to go to school to observe him in
his math and science class.  The district told me
not to come.  It would be too disruptive.
Several times after my repeated requests, they
turned me away with one reason or another.  The
real reason, I suspected, was that there was too
much for me to observe in his class.  So I defied
them and came, anyway.  I walked right past the
office, did not check in, nor get my visitor's
pass.  I went to his classroom, entered, told the
teacher that I had an appointment to observe.
She nodded her head.  I sat in the back of the
room taking notes in a big binder.  The
disruption, if there were any, was the behaviour
in the class, itself.  There is no way I could
have been noticed among the din.  There were
twenty eight kids in the class.  They were rowdy,
overturning chairs, spitting out windows,
shouting at each other from across the room.  The
helpless teacher stood at the front of the
classroom and held her right arm up above the
mayhem.

	"I am going to count backwards from
five!" she shouted,  "When I reach zero, there
will be quiet in the room, and you will all be
paying attention!"  She counted:  "FIVE.  FOUR.
THREE.  TWO.  ONE.  ZERO!!"

	There was no change.  The students roamed
the room, pushing each other, tripping over their
low slung pants, tossing objects to friends and
adversaries.  They called out across the room at
one another.  There was motion, laughter,
swearing, shoving.  The count backwards from five
to zero had had no effect whatsoever.  This did
not deter the teacher.  She did this exercize in
futility several times.  Coincidentally, that
day's lesson was on statistics.  What are the
chances that if she tries this for a fourth time
that it will work?

	In the cacophony, Meyshe did what he
could to cope.  The stimulation was way too much
for him.  I watched my son shut himself down.  He
hung his arm over the back of the chair, tipped
his head down and became oblivious to the world.
He put himself in a trance.  He was completely
removed.  He stayed like that while the aide
didn't notice him, for most of the class.  She
was too busy taking down notes from the
blackboard and the overhead projector's images on
a brightly lit screen facing the clusters of
desks, arranged in groups of four, so that small
groups could work together if the lesson ever got
under way.

	I had seen enough.  Mainstreaming sounds
good: all our young people learning together, but
it ain't for everyone.  I rattled the advocate's
cage, who, in turn, tried to rattle the
district's cage.  But the district didn't listen
to him.  They insisted that the setting was the
appropriate placement for Meyshe.  They repeated
those exact words, as I am sure their lawyer had
told them to do.  Why did they not respond to so
glaring a problem?  Well, because they knew that
if the case should go to hearing and we
prevailed, they would not have to pay for our
advocate's fees.  But if we had hired a lawyer
(another couple hundred bucks an hour), they
would.  It was money.  To them, the whole issue
was money and had nothing to do with the welfare
of a human being.  So we said, "Goodbye," to our
advocate and hired a lawyer, an expensive lawyer
with seven rows of sharp teeth and an impressive
track record with the district.  They knew him.
They'd faced him.  They'd lost to him.  They
feared him.  Fear was good.

	I had refused to keep Meyshe in the
program.  I'd yanked him out at the beginning of
the fall of his second year there and brought him
home.  I'd put together a program outside of the
school.  I'd hired an artist to teach him art, a
chess teacher to teach him chess.  What I needed
was a general tutor to instruct him in the core
curriculum.  Since it was the district that could
not provide Meyshe with an appropriate setting in
which he could learn, I turned to the district to
send a qualified tutor, one of the ones they hire
to go to the homes of children ailing in their
beds, or otherwise unable to attend school.  I'd
asked, and of course, they'd said, "No," until we
hired the lawyer.  The lawyer wrote the same
letter that the advocate had written:  "Send a
tutor."  But suddenly, the district complied.  A
tutor appeared, an angel named Mrs. Peetz.  She
took Meyshe under her wing and taught him, one on
one.  She came three times a week.  He hung on
her every word.  There was nothing he liked
better than to learn.  He was hungry for it.  At
the same time as this was going on, I'd been
forced to yank Feyna out of her abusive school.
So, I had two isolated thirteen year olds with
cobbled together programs, both home schooled.
This went on for two years, while I fought the
district over a placement for Meyshe, and tried
to heal Feyna from the traumas she endured at her
private school.  The isolation was stinging.
Both of them skipped past junior high school
while I carried on my crusades.  To this day, I
do not know how I survived it all.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA