TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 196

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Apr 7 09:12:49 PDT 2007

April 7, 2000000000000007

Dear Steerers of your own ships,

	I sent off my Life Stories 195 yesterday,
and it failed to appear in my in bucket.  I kept
looking for it, but it didn't arrive.  When
things like this happen, I ascribe them to the
mysteries of the internet, the inscrutable
computer phenomena.  It isn't possible for me to
sleuth them out. I know how to type.  I type
fast.  But my computer is a glorified IBM
Selectric.  I do not understand its inner
workings, nor do I comprehend the inner workings
of the internet.  So after a few hours, when I
was sure it wasn't going to arrive at all, I sent
it again.  And that one didn't arrive either.
Thus it was that I figured there was something up
at Banyan Tree headquarters  (think of that word:
headquarters.  It could be grizzly.)  This
morning I arrived at my computer hoping that
either one of my missives had arrived, and that
Banyan Tree was fully operational.  I saw
Margaret Kramer's piece shining at me, so I knew
my 195 should have arrived, but it didn't (they
didn't).  What there was, though, was my daily
SPAM filter mailing.  I have to click on the URL
and go to the bin where they are holding all my
suspected SPAM, go over it for possible false
positives, erase the rest.  So, once a day I am
faced with, "Why be a small man?",  "Rx by mail",
"You could be a winner,"  "Hi, Tobie, remember
me?", and the standard, "Impeach Bush", "Send us
money".  There was a long list today.  And there,
among the SPAM were my two Life Stories 195, the
evil SPAM sender, Tobie Shapiro.  I selected them
out for delivery to my in box, and approved the
sender for future deliveries.

	Okay.  So I'm a SPAMmer.  I send these
horrible stories to the millions of people on my
list, hoping to get business from less than 1%.
That's still a lot of business.  But the puzzle
remains unsolved; the mysteries of the internet
and the inscrutable computer phenomena still
apply.  Why would just this one day, the
professional SPAM detectors filter out my Life
Stories as SPAM when they've never done that
before?  Was there something about the subject
line?  Is there a suspicious aura about the
number 195 as opposed to 193 or 194?  Was there
something new added at SPAM filter headquarters
(there's that word again)?  Can there be a fluke?
But then, what are the chances of the fluke being
repeated?  I am awash in the conundrum.  I am
flummoxed by the maddening mystique of the
computer.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
                                    ½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½½

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'll Show You a Thing or Two

	After Grampa Benny died, I volunteered to
sleep overnight at Grama and Grampa's house to
see to it that there was company for Grama and
Aunt Belle, to help them with their breakfast, to
make sure everyone took their pills, to be
available, to be a warm body, to be someone safe
and honest who loved them.  Unfortunately,
Bernie, the horrifying husband number two,
insisted on staying, too.

	I'd had it with the marriage, and was
ashamed of my choice.  How could I have brought
this embarrassment on myself?  I was married to a
depressed, immobilized, sexually perverted lump
who could not lift himself up off the ground to
take part in his own life, so he spent his
energies draining the lives of others.  I'd
gotten to the point that I didn't like looking at
him, secretly referred to him as, "The Michelin
Man", and avoided eye contact.  I distanced
myself from him spiritually, psychologically and
actually.  I dreaded the steep climb into bed
every night.  And now there was a crisis.  My
Grampa Benny had died.  He was only eighty eight,
a child in our family with its ninety nine year
olds, centenarians and thousand year old seers.
Grama and Grampa had been married for sixty eight
years.  Perhaps it was a premonition that moved
Grampa to request a huge celebration for their
sixty eighth anniversary, which was in March.  He
died in May.  And from the day of his death, I
reoriented myself so that I was spending the
nights in San Francisco at the ancestral manse,
and working days at Joel Zebrack's office in
Oakland.

	Round about 6:00, I'd meet Bernie in West
Portal, near my Grandparents' house on Mount
Davison.  It was a short drive from there to Del
Sur Avenue where I took over the care of my
injured relatives, still reeling from the shock,
the absence of Benny, the unimaginable absence of
Benny.  We set up the hide-a-bed in the T.V.
room, and when everybody was ready to turn in for
the night, the lights would go out, and Bernie
would be left with me.  He was a swarm on the
other side of the mattress.  The room was the
same room Dana and I had slept in when we were
five and seven years old.  The same room where
the diaphanous white curtains had been blown in
by the wind through the open window and Dana was
sure it was the Beast from Twenty Thousand
Fathoms breathing outside.  That's what set the
curtains billowing in.  This was the same room
that I'd sat in with my grandparents and Aunt
Belle watching the television spew some stupid
rot while we nested in each others' company.  I
used to sit by the side of Grampa Benny's tan
naugahyde recliner, holding his hand, holding a
man's hand without inviting danger unto myself.
It was worth a prayer of gratitude.

	Now, I was sharing that same fold out bed
with my husband and arch enemy, Bernie
Lustgarten.  How could I defile the room so?  I
lay there wishing there were a way to make Bernie
disappear without hurting anyone's feelings, only
disturbing time and events by erasing the last
year.  The lights were all out.  Everyone was in
their beds.  The house was quiet.  Bernie
whimpered to speak to Cloud, his ersatz wisewoman
and spirit guide, fueled by my imagination and my
desire to train Bernie's fury against women.  He
asked for Cloud while I pretended to sleep.
Cloud made her brief appearance to calm Bernie
down and give him his moment of delusion.  Oh
yes, she was a previous incarnation of Tobie
Shapiro, wife and enemy.  But Cloud was absent of
all the uxorious toxicity.  She could talk Bernie
into humanity.  She could convince him to set
aside his yen for hot photographs of hair and
holes, his visions of nipples protruding through
wet tee shirts.  Cloud was magic.  She eased
Bernie into a peaceful sleep.  Then I closed her
up and lay there in the dark without Grampa
Benny.  My eyes were wide open drinking in the
black air.  I could barely make out the open
window.

	Then I heard a moan from Grama's room.
It was like a low siren with a rhythm to it.  Her
voice rose higher and higher, faster and faster,
until she was screaming.  She screamed, "Get away
from me!"  I leapt up and ran into her room.  She
was asleep, in a bottomless sleep, and she was
shouting, "Go away!  I'll show you a thing or
two!"  I put my hand on her bony shoulder.

	"Grama.  Wake up!  You're having a bad
dream.  It's a dream.  Grama, it's only a dream.
Wake up!"  I rocked her shoulder, called her
again.  "Grama, wake up.  You're having a
nightmare.  Grama!"

	She opened her eyes, but she was still in
the grips of the dream.  "Get out of here!" she
yelled at me.  "Go away!  I'll beat you.  Get
away from me!"  She waved her arms in front of
her, swiped at the air between us.

	The assault on me by this woman I loved
so dearly struck me to my heart.  I couldn't
reason with her.  She wouldn't wake up.  Her eyes
were open and she was screaming at me to go away.
I was lost.  I missed my Grampa Benny.  He'd know
what to do.  The confusion overwhelmed me and I
ran off into the hallway where I broke down in
tears.  I sobbed at the thermostat on the wall.
This was something I couldn't bear.

	"Tobie?  Honey dear?"  Grama called me.
A different voice, a sentient voice.  "Come here,
honey dear.  Come back."

	I wiped my tears with the back of my hand
and returned to the side of her bed.  She looked
up at me.  "It was only a dream," she told me.
"Don't cry.  Here.  Come get into bed."  She
lifted the covers and invited me in.

	"What were you dreaming?"

	"Grampa and I were walking in the park,
both with our canes.  And a strange ugly man came
up to us.  He took Grampa's cane and Grampa fell
down.  I screamed so loud at the man.  I screamed
at him, 'Get away!  I'll show you a thing or
two!' and I tried to hit him with my cane.  "Get
away!  Go away!"  Then I woke up.

	I knew immediately what the dream was
about.  But I didn't tell her.  I stood by her
pillow until she assured me I could go back to
bed.  She was fine.  She was fine.  Really.  She
was fine, missing her companion of sixty eight
years.

	I was not fine, going back to the dim bed
where my husband of less than one year, who was
an error, snored a hole through my ears.  I got
into bed and crumpled up on the far edge of my
side.

	"Go away!  Get out of here!  I'll show you a thing or two!"

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net