TheBanyanTree: More Puppy Tales

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Sep 24 15:50:48 PDT 2006

I LOVE Caesar Milan!!  Both of my dogs are rescue dogs.  The Pug is an angel
but the Pom is (was?) a zany dog.  He pulled on the leash, combated me for
Alpha position and even after it was definitely established; it seemed that
if I relaxed one second, he challenged me.  Just in small ways but he would
get gutsier and gutsier if I didn't 'nip' it.  Walking him was terrible if
another dog was in the vicinity, and people?  He jumped all over them if he
could get close enough to him.  He barked and was in general a wild thing!

I began to implement the techniques with both dogs (I figured it couldn't
hurt to include the Pug although he really didn't need it but it was good to
keep it consistent with both dogs.

There hasn't been one technique that hasn't worked.  I don't even have to
lock the leash anymore, he stays behind me as we're walking the walk and his
nose does not go down until I decide it is time.  They do their thing and
then we form the pack and we're off for home.  No more jumping on people and
no more challenges to other dogs.  In fact, when another dog comes on the
scene, he doesn't even acknowledge them anymore.  I am so amazed!  It only
took a day or two for him to GET it.

That guy is so amazing.  I have gotten techniques from vets and
trainers...we even went to classes and nothing ever worked.  But like Caesar
says, he rehabilitates the dog but TRAINS the owners!  What a great guy and
what a lot of wisdom.  I not only love my doggies, but enjoy them and
walking with them.  Their walks have increased now that it's no longer a
battle.