TheBanyanTree: Just So Tire'd

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Sep 9 10:06:53 PDT 2006

Pam's story makes me so glad I found a trustworthy mechanic.  I found him
(his name is Bob Plankey) in 1983 when I moved to the Berkshires.  He was
recommended to me by my Pastor.  He worked at a Mobile station where they
repaired cars AND sold gasoline.  I was dirt poor, running from my
soon-to-be-ex second husband (the father of my sons) who was abusive with 4
kids.  But this guy was the best.  He worked with me and my finances. And
best of all, he was the most honest person I have ever met.

In 1986 my first ex-husband, who is also my best friend and from whom I have
two daughters, bought me a 1983 Chevy Chevette.  My old Plymouth had drawn
its last breath and was no longer safe or worth fixing.  He gave me $500 and
said to have it checked out and get anything that needed fixing, fixed.  I
told one of my church buddies who told me about his "Christian" friend who
was just starting out in business and maybe I should give him a try. He'd
probably give me "Christian" rates since we all went to the same church.  It
kinda' put a guilt trip on me (I was much younger then and still a bit
stupid) so I did.  I dropped the car off in the morning, went to work, told
the guy I wanted a list first 'cause I only had so much money to spend (I
never told him the amount).  When I went back to the station, he had a list
alright.  A list totaling $486.  I looked at my friend who looked a bit
sheepish.  I assumed, and believe to this day, my friend had told his friend
how much money I had to spend.  I stuck the list in my purse, paid the man
for his time and said (for real), thanks, but no thanks!  I stomped out.  He
knew he'd been caught.  Sometimes that sixth sense comes in real handy.  It
had saved my ass years before at Sears when they tried to rip me off, and
also at a windshield replacement place, and had once again.  I have never
strayed again.

In 1990 or so they had closed the original station where Bob worked and made
it a mini-mart sort of thing that sold gas and so Bob transferred to another
Mobile station in Pittsfield, where I live, so I followed him there. I
immediately took the Chevette to him the next morning and told him that I
wanted the car to be looked at for anything wrong that needed to be fixed.
I did not mention the $500 or the list from the other guy that I still had
in my purse.  When I picked it up that afternoon after work, this is what he
said to me, "Sharon, I don't usually like Chevy's much but whoever had this
car took real good care of it.  It did need a belt but that's about it.  You
should get a few good years out of it.  You owe my $27.00."

Later, in 1995, my father got ill.  I needed to go to Maryland with the
kids.  I always took the car to Bob before making a trip to Baltimore for a
look over before I went (fluids, gas and stuff).  When I picked it up he
told me that he didn't think I should drive it all the way to Maryland that
the brakes were really bad and it wouldn't be safe.  I started to cry.  I
couldn't help it.  We were so poor and I wanted to see my father so badly.
Bob patted my shoulder and said, "Leave the car here.  I'll take care of it,
don't worry.  You can pay me when you have it."  I shook my head because I
was so poor I wasn't sure when I would ever have the money.  He insisted and
the next day I left for Maryland in a safe vehicle.  I found out later that
because the station was owned by Mobile, he had to pay the bill himself.  I
did pay that bill, though it took me while, and I never forgot his kindness.
I sent a zillion people to him from the college where I work.  Every time
mechanics came up, I told them about Bob.

Five years ago, Bob was able to buy his own garage though he didn't own the
gas station part at first.  Now he owns the whole thing.  It is an Exxon
station and I still do business with him.  I now have a new car (every two
years) my children are grown and he has four more customers when they are
here.  Sometimes they make a trip on purpose to have him fix the car and
throw in a visit to their dear old Mom.  They wouldn't even think of going
to anyone else when they are in town.  EVERY co-worker is a Bob Plankey
customer and most of my friends.

He is truly a blessing and single Moms especially thank him for his honesty,
good work, and kindness.  He has mechanics working for him now and I notice
that they are schooled to be just like him.

God bless Bob Plankey.  I just wish there were more like him!