TheBanyanTree: Mutant mutates or just gets older?

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:27:05 PDT 2006

Yes, Janice, unfortunately, I've experienced the bliss of an MRI, with
the heavy metal cocktail for high definition.  I am also very bad at
holding completely still and not swallowing for minutes at a time.
Every muscle in my head seemed to twitch and itch, my skin squirmed.
My salivary glands went into overdrive, producing bucketfulls of saliva
that had to be surrepticiously choked down between chirps and beeps of
the machine.  I was deathly afraid I was screwing the whole thing up
and we'd have to do it again and again until I trained myself to never
swallow.

The magnetic resonance and molten metals buzzing through my head
uncovered a small tumor on my pituitary.  In some belief systems, the
pituitary is the organ involved with seeing one's life truthfully and
living in harmony with that truth.  I fervently worked on some
spiritual healing after the diagnosis, worked with a reiki
practitioner, and participated in some very healing workshops.  Also,
between the first MRI and the second, I divorced my husband, after
being separated for many years but afraid of stepping off into the
un-health-insured unknown.  A heavy, miserable load was lifted from my
life, and I could finally live a life that felt true and right.  Six
months after the first one, a second MRI showed that the tumor had
disappeared.  Coincidence?  That's a point of discussion between me and
God.

Here's a paragraph from something I posted right after the MRI:

"The really funny thing was that as soon as I popped out of the MRI place
with the headache from hell, I jumped in the jeep and cranked on the radio
and the very first sound out of the speaker was a line from a Springsteen
song, "Felt like someone took a knike kinda edgey and dull and cut a six
inch valley through the middle of my skull."  Now, you have to laugh at
something like that because that is the universe's way of saying, "Laugh
dammit".  And you just gotta sometimes, to keep from crying."

Thanks for sharing your story.  Wishing you all the best, and some
laughs thrown in for good measure.  And let us know how things turn
out, ok?

Julie