TheBanyanTree: Moving On

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 07:19:47 PDT 2006

The autumnal equinox finds St Paul, MN in a gloomy mood.  At the moment, it’
s cloudy, but we’re supposed to get more rain later on today.  Our rain
gauge has about an inch in it now from the last couple days.  Rain on the
weekends is not always welcome, but I can’t help but imagine all this water
soaking into the ground, filling the lakes and rivers, and preparing the
soil for next year’s growing season.  We were hit hard by a drought this
summer and any amount of water is very welcome.

More color has advanced in the leaves since last week, but we’re not near
full peak yet.  Unattached leaves are beginning to skitter on sidewalks and
streets.  A good wind would get them dancing.

Fall is kind of like spring.  It’s a time for me to clean out and get
prepared.  Well, my colon was cleaned out and examined this past week.  I
went into the “operating room” at 2 pm on 9/19/06 and Ray and I left the
clinic exactly at 3 pm.  The procedure truly is nothing much at all.  It
hurt a little bit before I went completely under, but that was it.  The
doctor said everything looked good.  He found one polyp, which he removed,
and I should receive the lab results within 10 days.

I had a brownie when I got home and then took a nap.  I still felt a bit
woozy the next day, but I went to work and was able to function.  Now I’m
able to check off the colonoscopy from my “to do” list and can move on with
my life.

Today will be filled up with fall preparation activities.  Other than my
junk drawers in the kitchen (I have three of them!), my cupboards are very
organized.  But I do have one, which is kind of like my junk cupboard, that
is a mess.  It has candle holders, vases, candles, and other stuff all
jumbled together in no kind or logical order.  I would like to straighten
that out.  Fall and the long nights of winter will inspire the soft
flickering lights of candles.

Our bedroom closet isn’t as large as our one in the old house (because this
wonderful old house was built in 1947 when people weren’t such
clotheshorses), so just my summer clothes are in it.  My winter clothes are
in the storage room (on the same floor) – I love my storage room, so I’ll do
the old switcheroo.  This will also give me a chance to go through my
clothes and donate the ones I don’t wear anymore.  I do this twice a year
and it keeps me from swimming in excess and unused clothing.

If it doesn’t rain, then I’d like to sneak in a bike ride this afternoon.

I bought some gourds, small pumpkins, and Indian corn to begin fall
decorating.

I need to pay bills.

I have to do a little shopping.  I’d like to buy a rug for my office to
cover up the ugly floor.  Some day Ray and I will get the motivation to move
out all the heavy, heavy furniture so a guy can come and re-do the could be
beautiful floors in the room and then move all the heavy, heavy furniture
back in.

I have photos to get into photo albums.

We will watch the Twins play Baltimore tonight (and win, hopefully) as they
continue their march towards post-season play.

I love fall.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

I am learning all the time.  The tombstone will be my diploma.
~Eartha Kitt