TheBanyanTree: Bedtime Story sort of

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Sep 20 09:46:08 PDT 2006

September 20, 2000000000000000000000006

Dear Well Beings,

	Here I go again.

                                           bqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqb

Old White and Big Yellow

	The Hong Kong Flu ravaged the world in
the winter of 1968.  Practically everyone caught
it, and it was a monster of a flu.  Dweller and I
were living down on Chestnut Street.  My sister
was about to give birth to her eldest son, Ari.
She was 23.  I think she got by without getting
sick with it  --  one of the miracle effects of
pregnancy.

	It was a sudden thing.  Dweller and I had
gone to the laundromat.  It was in the evening.
The sun was set.  We loaded all our things into
the washers.  Then we came back forty minutes
later to drag everything out and transfer it all
into the dryer.  The laundromat is still there
today, probably with the same machines.  When I
think back on that time in my life, I never
remember doing laundry at the laundromat, the
washing of dirty linen in public.  But I do
remember that one time.  When we parked the VW
bus in the lot, I stayed in the car while Dweller
went in to transfer the goods.  In the time it
took him to execute that task, I fell ill.  I
fell ill all of a sudden.  One minute I was fine,
the next I had keeled over and was lying in the
back of the bus burning up with fever, so sick
that I could barely stand up and walk into the
house.

	As soon as Dweller had gotten me safely
into bed, he thought quickly and headed off to
the Co-op where he stocked up on sodas, broth,
fruit juice, jello and all the things you need
for the sick room.  It was a good thing he did
that, too, because by the time he got back from
the store, he was sick too.  Probably just as
sick as I was.  As the disease took its course,
we both developed fevers of 104º F.  Looking down
over my prone body was like seeing the waves of
air above hot asphalt.  We were completely
immobilized.  All we did was lie there in the
heat.  We didn't eat.  We didn't talk.  We didn't
move our arms or legs.  In fact, the headache was
so bad, we didn't move our heads.  Moving was an
act to contemplate as an event of great
consequence.

	There was a wicked coincidence.  Just
before we came down with the flu, we had finally
gotten a new refrigerator.  Our old one was
called, "Old White".  It was one of those single
door, round cornered jobs with a freezer
compartment in the top center large enough for
one small chicken if you crammed it in just
right.  And if you didn't defrost it regularly,
the thing would ice over like a doghouse at the
north pole.  Then, not even the little toy door
would open.  Old White was a steady worker, even
though it was inadequate.  But what it did best
was make noise.  I used to be able to imitate the
throes and shudders, whines and hums, clicks and
thumps in their proper sequence and pitch.  The
rattles and roars, too.  It was a constant
accompaniment to our lives.  We got to the point
where we couldn't hear it any more.

	We'd looked in the free paper, the flea
market, and found a larger, used refrigerator for
sale.  We'd driven to the address the man told us
to, and there, on his lawn, had been several
refrigerators.  This is where we'd met, "Big
Yellow".  We had paid the man twenty five dollars
for Big Yellow, another round shouldered fridge
with freezer above and the refrigerator below.
We had carted Big Yellow home, and had plugged it
in.  Then we had removed Old White from its spot
in the kitchen, put it on a dolly, and moved it
out the back door, down the five stairs to the
back yard, down the short walk way, through the
gate, had made a left turn and put it in the
garage.  Then we went to the laundromat.  When
Dweller got back from the store, he loaded all
the sodas and fruit juice into Big Yellow and
came to bed where he collapsed next to me.

	The next morning, our first big decision
of the day was to send one of us to the kitchen
to retrieve some fruit juice.  Dweller rose and
shuffled laboriously into the kitchen.  But he
called me.  "Tobie.  Come here."  I wrenched
myself from my stupor and went into the kitchen.

	"Something's wrong with Big Yellow."  And
indeed there was.  Big Yellow was acting as a
heater, a big warming oven.  The insides of the
damn thing were nice and toasty.  So we had to
remove everything from Big Yellow and cart it out
the back door, down the five stairs, over the
walkway, through the gate, left turn and into the
garage where Old White was plugged in.  It cooled
things down nicely.  Now, whenever we
contemplated getting up for something to drink,
we had to think very hard.  The winter rains had
come and it was an arduous journey to Old White,
outside in the rain and wind.  The big excitement
of the day would be this:

	The jaw of one of our heads opened and
words came out.  "Do you want anything to drink?"

	The other head's jaw opened and answered, "No."

	A silence

	"Are you sure?"

	Silence

	"Yes, I'm sure."

	"Because I'm going to go, and if you want
something you should say so now."

	Silence

	"I don't want anything.  Go ahead.  Next time, I'll go."

	My mother came down to our house in the
third day of our high fevers and put ice packs
under our arms and in our groins.  We didn't
bother to be embarrassed.  We were too sick.  And
through the whole thing, Old White hummed and
groaned, clicked and thumped while Big Yellow sat
in the kitchen, unplugged, taunting us every time
we had to trudge by on our way outside into the
rain to fetch the goods from Old White.

	When we'd lived through the worst of it
and were on the road to recovery, we called the
purveyor of Big Yellow to inform him that the
refrigerator was heating things.  The man said,
"Too bad for you."

                                           bqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqb

Baby Makes Three

	I'm a cat person.  I don't mean to say I
have no affection for dogs.  I do, but I live
better with cats, and I have a special affinity
for them.  But Dweller had always had dogs.  So
it was that I set out to get him  --  us  --  the
bestest darn dog that ever lived.  I knew nothing
about dogs, about dog breeds, about finding a
dog.  What I did was take out my parents' old
World Book Encyclopedia from 1954 and look at the
several pages of illustrations included in the
article entitled, "Dogs", depicting the one
thousand favourite dog brands and perused the
illustrations to find what our dog would look
like.  I wanted something unusual, and something
that didn't shed or stink too much.  I wanted
something smallish, but not tiny and yippy.  I
wanted a dog that would be well suited to our
small house, and could be independent for periods
of time without inordinate whining.  Essentially,
I wanted a cat, but with a dog label.  I looked
over the candidates and found a Bedlington
Terrier.  These are the dogs that grow coats
thick like a poodle's, white all over, and the
show cut carves them like topiary to look like
lambs.  Silly show cut.

	I planned this all on a Sunday.  What a
great day to find a dog, a rare dog.  Dweller was
off at a T-group retreat.  He wouldn't be back
until dinner time.  I called around to pet stores
and the ones that were open on a Sunday had no
Bedlingtons.  One pet store owner advised me to
go to the dog show at the Oakland Auditorium.
Maybe I would find one there.  A dog show?  This
Sunday?  A whole dog show?  I rushed down there
to discover that the entire dog show was
sponsored by the Bedlington Terrior Association
of America.  This was a sign.  I walked directly
to the Bedlington section.  There was a fenced
off area and a pen in which all these lambs were
tredding in circles and squatting every once in a
while, trying unsuccessfully to make dog
droppings.  They'd skip along for a few paces,
then their rear ends would hunker down and their
rear legs would spread out and crouch, but
nothing would come out.  One of the breeders saw
me watching and mentioned that a few of the
Bedlingtons were constipated.  This should have
given me pause.  But I was on a quest for a dog
for Dweller.  I asked if any of the dogs was for
sale, and the breeder looked absolutely
delighted.  He pointed one out.  It was not among
the constipatees, but was off to one side, all
poofy and perfect.

	Did I think about how difficult it would
be to comb and fluff this dog?  Did I ask myself
about the responsibility of dog ownership?  Did I
ask questions about the personality of this dog,
its temperament, its habits, what to feed it, how
healthy it was?  No.  I was twenty one years old,
and I didn't think like that.  I wanted a
Bedlington to give to my sweetheart, and that's
the way it would be.  The man told me that the
dog was a pedigreed Bedlington, but that he was
not show  material because he had a wry mouth.
He pulled back the dog's lips to show me how the
teeth were not absolutely straight.  So what did
I care?  I wasn't about to take it to an
orthodontist for cosmetic reasons.  I purchased
the dog.

	His AKC official name was Nobles True to
Form.  What a lovely name.  We'd have to think of
something else.  I raced home with our new dog in
the back of the VW bus, curled up on the mattress
much as he'd been curled up on a mat at the dog
show.  When we got home, I hid him in the
bathroom just in time for Dweller to get home
from his retreat.

	"Go in and wash up," I said, "We're due
at my parents' house in half an hour."

	Dweller said that we should just go then.  He didn't need to wash up.

	"Wash up!" I said, aiming him towards the
bathroom door.  He must have known something was
up, but how could he guess what?  He opened the
bathroom door, and this lamb came trotting out.

	"What's that!?"  Dweller shouted.

	"It's a dog," I answered.  "It's our dog."

	"It is?"

	Such a reception for the baby makes three of our family!

                                           bqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbqbq

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA