TheBanyanTree: another more stories

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Sep 18 09:52:53 PDT 2006

September 18, 20000006

Dear companions,

	Have some more.  They keep shooting out of me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	Two weeks before final exams, I would come down with a
legitimate illness.  Slowed, needing sleep all day, weakened, and
attacked by a general malaise, I would stay home from school,
punishing myself for not being sick enough to stay home.  I didn't
believe my own body which told me I was ill.  But the coincidence of
it being so close onto final exams ripped my faith in my own
sensibilities.  So I hovered between being very sick and being sick
of myself.  During the day, everyone else was out of the house and I
had to find things besides my unending homework to amuse me.  Oh
sure, I watched rotten television, but there are just so many grade B
and C- movies from the thirties and forties that one can watch
without getting even sicker.

	I had two tape recorders, one tiny cheap little number we'd
gotten in some all purpose store while we were travelling on vacation
someplace.  It had two speeds: slow and even slower.  The other tape
recorder was school issue that for some reason had come into Peter
Aschenbrenner's hands and he had leant to me.  This one also had two
speeds, but they were slow and faster.  So I had actually three
speeds to record and play with.  I used these two tape machines to
put into physical form the impromptu opera that I performed using
everything at my disposal.  I remember that the characters in the
opera were supposed to be sitting at a table which was sinking into a
dung heap.  It was a modern opera, atonal and annoying, nothing to
hum on your way out of the theatre.  I yodelled, sang, did
Sprechstimme, used the playing of combs, thumped on tables, played
the dial tone on the phone and played music boxes of which I had
quite a few.  I discovered that by recording a music box on one tape
recorder on high, then slowing it down and recording that on the
other, passing it back and forth that way, I could slow down the
tinkle of the music box until it sounded like slow rumblings of some
instrument whose deep sounds were so subterranean that you could hear
the vibrations and count them.  Then I could likewise speed the tape
up so I had little birds or chipmunks singing in falsetto with wildly
quivering vibratos.  I remember one couple of lines were:

	"Will you pleeeeeeeease pass me the butttttttttter?"

	"I would be pleeeeeeeased to pass you the buttttttttter!"

	This tape must exist someplace, but its physical well being
has to be dubious by this time, forty something years later.  If I
could find it, maybe I could resurrect it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	William Godsoe was my boyfriend after Arthur broke my heart.
It was rebound.  I met William at Labindustries where I was working
as the boss's daughter.  That's a tough job, boss's daughter.  You
have to be an example and work harder than the rest of the employees
so you don't seem privileged and spoiled, but when you do work harder
and better, the others resent you for it.  Somehow I kept a balance
and had acquaintances who liked me enough to invite me into their
social circles.  Donna Cook was married to Gareth Cook, and Gareth
grew up with Dweller in Riverside, but that's another story.  Donna
had met a guy who worked down the road and came over on his breaks
sometimes.  I still don't know why.  The guy was  William Godsoe, and
Donna thought him to be handsome, even dreamy.  I found his looks off
putting.  His head was too big, his nostrils huge, and his manner was
arrogant.  Plus he smoked heavily.  But I was desperate for a match,
and so a flirtation began.  I forget the name of the company he
worked for, but it was down at the end of 2nd Street where it dead
ended into the street that went round the perimeter of the estuary.

	When we were already an item, I had a dozen long stemmed
asparagus delivered to him at work.  I was full of surprises for my
beloveds.  But the relationship with William went horribly wrong.  He
was an alcoholic, something I didn't figure out because I knew
nothing about alcohol, let alone alcoholics.  He had a jug of red
wine in his tiny refrigerator, and not much else.  When he got up in
the morning, he had banana liqueur, and throughout his bedroom were
scattered maybe half a dozen finished glasses of wine, with the last
sip drying in the bottom, the glasses tilted or fallen over.  It
meant nothing to me.  I couldn't figure out why he kept falling
asleep early in the evening, excusing himself for a moment and just
not coming back.  One occasion was Valentine's day.  We were in his
living room which served as a second bedroom for his execrable
roommate, Lloyd Kravitch, a would be artist who wore striped shirts a
la Parisienne because he thought that was requisite.  William told
me, "Wait here.  I'll be right back."  And he padded off to the
bathroom.  I stood in the living room patiently amusing myself with
whatever I could, just juggling my brains.  But he didn't return for
the longest time.  Finally, I went looking for him.  He was lying
flat on his back on top of his bed, with all his clothes still on.
He was out cold.  I got good and angry and went searching for a
sewing kit, which I found in the supplies closet.  I threaded the
needle and carefully sewed his clothes to the bed spread, all the way
around his body, as if I'd followed the chalk marks at the scene of a
crime.  I waited.  In the morning, or maybe half way through the
night, he woke up and tried to stand up, but the whole bedspread came
with him.  At first, he looked confused, then angry, then he laughed,
but not happily.  Clearly, he got the message that my sewing him to
his bed spread was not an act of fun, but an expression of
dissatisfaction.  I said, "Happy Valentine's Day," and left.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	Donna and Gareth Cook were the ones who introduced me to my
first husband, Dweller, or rather, "Bob" Cliff.  We fell in love
quickly and were constantly together.  One day, we were without a
place to be alone.  Dweller's parents were visiting and staying at
his apartment, which was the upper floor of an old brown shingle on
Oakland Avenue in Oakland.  Without a place to make love, we were
getting desperate, and asked Donna and Gareth if we could use their
bedroom. (How desperate can you get?  Pretty damn silly desperate.)
They agreed readily.  Their bedroom was the upstairs of the cottage
they lived in on Alcatraz near College Avenue in Berkeley.  The
lighting was dim when we crept across the floor which was covered
with rough weave jute squares sewn together like a checkerboard.  The
squares of thick knotted grass hurt our feet when we walked barefoot
on them.  We got on top of the bed and detected a bad smell.  When
our eyes adjusted to the dark, we saw the problem right away.  Donna
and Gareth's dog, a boxer named Bogie who had a vicious farting
mechanism installed in him, had crapped all over the floor.  There
were maybe a dozen piles of shit spilling over the woven jute and
pooling on the floor.  We did not consummate.  I don't think.  (I
could be wrong.  Remember, I said we were desperate).   When we asked
Donna and Gareth about it, they said that Bogie had bad diarrhea and
they found it easier to clean up if they let it dry.   Ah, youth!

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net