TheBanyanTree: stories, more

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Sep 17 14:10:32 PDT 2006

September 17, 2000000006

Dear the whole lot of you,

	I am forging ahead.  Thank you for your comments, you know
who you are.  I need all the feedback I can get, and I appreciate it.
Don't stop.

	ijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijiji

	I was lying on my stomach on the living room carpet, looking
out the window into the bushes, then the street beyond.  Daniel was
just a small kid, maybe seven years old, not much older.  That makes
me 14, not much older.  He was standing barefoot next to me.  I
peered at his feet which were flat as saucers.  I tried to stick my
finger under his non-existent arch.

	"Flat feet!" I said, matter of factly.

	"No I'm not," he said quickly, sure that I'd just said
something bad about him.

	"No, that's not bad.  You probably won't have to go in the
army with flat feet."

	"Why?" he asked, and then he put his mind to it.  "Is that
because I'd make too m uch noise running?"

	ijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijiji

	There was some business picnic that we all attended, not too
long after we returned to Berkeley from Maryland.  So I was nine
years old and my sister, Dana, was eleven.  The picnic was held in a
huge meadow in Tilden Park, behind the Berkeley hills.  This must
have been put on by the company that my father worked for when we
first got back to the west coast.  I can't remember the name of the
company.  But there was quite a crowd at the picnic.  There was Bar
Be Qued chicken and ice cream, sodas, hot dogs, hamburgers and a
crowd of people all having fun.

	Close to the front of the field was a table where they were
selling raffle tickets.  The grand prize was a radio.  Wow!  Dana and
I bought two tickets and proceeded to perform a magical ceremony to
ensure that we won the prize.  She held one ticket while I held the
other and we hit them together, alternating tilting to the right and
to the left, while we changed, "Tick Tock, the game is locked and
nobody else can win!"  The raffle was held late in the festivities.
We stood there holding our tickets, sure that one of them would be
the winning ticket.  They read off the numbers.  And there you had
it!  One of our tickets had won the first prize.  They handed us a
green plastic radio about as big as a bread box.  We were spooked
that our chant had worked, and we named the radio, "Lucky".  That
radio stayed working long after newer radios konked out.  It was a
sturdy little thing.  I'm sure we had plenty of opportunities to have
our magic spell disproved, because we're not chanting it any more.

	ijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijiji

	When we were still very young and visited my Grama's and
Grampa's in the city, we used to amuse ourselves endlessly with all
the special qualities of their house.  First of all, they had a
laundry chute that started out as a hole, a square hole in the bottom
of the linen closet in the hallway.  We derived terrific
entertainment from dropping things like toothbrushes, bars of soap,
cannisters of Cashmere Bouquet down the chute while someone waited
below for them to land.  The end of the chute was a burlap bag with a
drawstring closure that hung in the basement at the end of the garage
where the washer and dryer were.  After one of us dropped the mystery
item down the chute, she would run down the stairs and open the
burlap sphincter to let the treasures pour out.  Then we'd run them
back upstairs again, to repeat the whole procedure.  We were giddy
with delight.

	Then, outside the back door, which was half a flight of
stairs down from the kitchen, was the triangular back yard.  It was
criss crossed with cement pathways, and there was a concrete
sculpture, probably another bird bath, in the center.  We played
magic times in the back yard.  We got hold of a basket with a huge
arched handle.  We'd step through the handle and expected to arrive
in a world of enchantment, where humans could fly and all our wishes
would come true.  When it turned out that we didn't arrive there, in
fact, that no such world existed after passing through the basket
handle several times, we were very upset, and went inside to the
television room to sulk and pout for being dealt such a hard blow by
life.  Why couldn't magic exist just this once?  Why was life such a
dismal disappointment?

	ijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijijiji
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net