TheBanyanTree: More stories from a life of stories

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Sep 12 09:09:03 PDT 2006

September 12, 200000000006

Dear Readers,

	Here are more stories I've lifted from my life.  I haven't
altered them, so they are as true as my memory is.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

	When Dweller and I were living on Chestnut Street, he had a
lot to say about my habits and rituals, my axioms of being.  He
thought, of course, that I should be more like him.

	One thing he did that he thought I ought to be able to do is
that we should have no problem peeing in front of each other.  I had
a problem.  I think some things have to be kept private.  And I draw
the line before the bathroom door.  But he was fairly adament.  If
you were intimate with someone, you should be able to pee in their
presence.

	Our bathroom was the connecting room between the front and
back bedrooms.  It was a long narrow room.  The tub, over which there
was a shower head, was right inside the door from the master bedroom.
Right beyond the tub was a built in clothes hamper, a large tall
affair that formed a wall on the other side of the tub.    It opened
up with a hatch on top of it, hinged about a couple of feet back from
the front.  It also formed a divider between the tub and the toilet.
Then beyond the toilet was the door to the second bedroom, in the
back of the house.

	I didn't like Dweller insisting that I pee in front of him.
So, one day, when he was sitting on the toilet working on something
fecal, I unlatched the hook and eye lock by passing a card up between
the hook and the eye, and I entered the bathroom.  Dweller was
sitting there concentrating on his business, and I came to sit on the
clothes hamper next to the toilet.  I smiled at him, sweetly, and
hummed a tune.

	"How ya doin'?"

	He grimaced an embarrassed smile and was going to break down
laughing out of humiliation, and out of the sheer fact that he'd lost
this argument and I'd won.  He was eager to pee in person, but not
poo in person.  From then on, he kept his mouth shut about communal
peeing.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

	When I was still too little to choose for myself, my parents
took us to the Smithsonian Institute every Sunday it seemed.  There
was always a lot to see, of course, but of course, they chose for us.
My sister liked the blood and guts stuff.  I liked the dinosaur bones
and the big glass cases of scenes with primitive humans working
around a fire, or animals going about their (stuffed) business in the
wilds.

	One Sunday there was an exhibit that I knew from listening to
what was going on above me, was about "Pathology", a word I couldn't
have understood and probably couldn't read yet.  My mother instructed
my father not to bring me in to the pathology exhibit because it
would frighten  me.  She was going to go with my sister into the red
building over there, she explained.  Take Tobie someplace else.  The
next thing I remember after  my mother trotting off with Dana was my
father's face looming close above me.  He said, "You won't be scared,
will you?!  It's just photographs."  He may even have asked me to
promise I wouldn't be scared.  And I, naturally, wanted to please my
father, so I said, no, I wouldn't be scared, that I promised not to
be scared, an impossible thing to promise.  I didn't know what I'd be
up against.  So my father took me by the hand and marched up the
stairs into the Pathology exhibit.  The rooms were dark in my
recollection.  The walls were plastered with back lit photographs.
This is as I remember it, these glowing pictures in the dark.  It may
not have been dark and the pictures may not have glowed, but in my
history, this was a glowing and glowering event.  The very first
photograph I viewed was of the face of a person ravaged by small pox.
The entire exhibit was about small pox, I think.  I saw this
miserable afflicted, disfigured, dying human being, and I screamed.
Somehow my mother appeared with Dana in tow, and scolded my father
for doing exactly what she warned him not to do.  She told him to
take me back outside, or maybe we all went outside at that point.
Then my father got angry at me.  His huge moon of a face loomed large
again above me.

	"You promised you wouldn't be scared," he growled at me,
angrily.  "You broke your promise!"  I didn't know which to be more
frightened of: small pox, or my father.  History tells us I had more
to fear from my father.

	There is more.  There will be more.

	Yours,

	Tobie