TheBanyanTree: Sidda's novel -- 3

Terri W. siddalee at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 30 23:45:35 PST 2006

I felt much better after writing about what happened to Daddy ten
years ago.  I do understand that expressing these things is supposed
to be good for you.  I think that, before, I always thought
"expressing" emotions was like "expressing" a pimple.  It meant you
had a higher risk of spreading bacteria and infection.  And you
scarred worse.  I think that's what I thought.  I'm not really sure,
though, since I'm not that person anymore.

The sky had cleared by the time I blew out my candle, so I took it
into my mind to check out how the Bucheks are getting along.  They've
been in my head off and on all week, and it was about time I went for
a spy.

The Bucheks live in town, which is several miles by county roads, but
I can cut cut across the pastures and fields and, depending on the
season and the condition of the crops, it's probably about four
miles.  If the fields are plowed, it seems like ten.  If the day is
nice, like today, it's just a fine walk.

Once I hit the City Limits sign, it's another mile to the Bucheks.
They live three blocks from the high school.

When I got there, Coach Buchek was standing outside in his driveway.
I know his schedule so thoroughly, I can tell you exactly what had
happened before I arrived.  He had driven home from football
practice.  He had stayed late to make sure all the boys left the
parking lot okay and there was no engine trouble or personal issues.
He may have stopped by the guidance counselor's office.  He started
spending more time with Winifred Taylor last year, when he had a
senior quarterback who was not making the grades he should have.  He
talked to Winnie Taylor about it, who called in Mr. Siegler, the
History teacher who'd given Chase Boudreaux his D- that put him on
Probation. Coach Buchek told Bill Siegler in Winnie Taylor's office
to do what he had to do.  If Chase deserved an F, go ahead and give
it to him, and if that mean the football team lost their quarterback,
and thus the District Championship, so be it.  Siegler told Chase
he'd better pull his shit together, or he would regret it for the
rest of his life.  Chase laughed in his face.  Siegler failed him.
Chase found out about Coach telling Siegler to do what he had to do,
and confronted him in tears in the Faculty Lounge.  I've never seen a
boy more upset, such betrayal and confusion played on his face.  "But
you're my Coach!  My COACH!  Don't you GET it?!" he bleated.  He came
right off the hinges.

But it all worked out.  Siegler didn't want to flunk the boy, after
all.  He wanted the boy to work harder and pass.  But it's a tough
assignment, to be laughed at by a seventeen-year-old boy when you're
a paunchy 55-year-old History teacher who still lives with his mother
in a trailer in Friendship, Texas.  Siegler offered to let Chase
write two papers to earn extra points, and Chase leaped at the
deal.   There was one about Lewis and Clark and another one about the
History of Environmentalism.  Chase threw his heart and soul into
those papers, finally making the connection that you sometimes have
to do things you don't want to do in the short-term in order to get
the long-term payoff.  You'd think he'd have learned that in football
practice, but, let's face it, the boy's brain was a sludge pipe of
hamburgers, hormones, and ego.  I'd watch and wonder, sometimes, why
he even bothered to wear a helmet at all.  He's at A & M University
now, down in Bryan.  He'll flunk out and be working construction by
Christmas.

Meanwhile, Coach Buchek got to know Winnie Taylor better through that
whole transaction, and then, since, August, of course, he has been in
to talk to her more and more, just s he has been to Pastor Goddard's
place at least twice a week, and he and Cyndy still drive to Austin
once a week for their sessions with the therapist there.

This past August, Coach Buchek was at football practice with his
team.  It was a hot day, but not as hot as some other days had been.
He called a play and watched as his star quarterback for this season
ran the play flawlessly, and then, two feet from Coach Buchek, fell
face down on the field.  He didn't move.  One of the other boys
hollered, "Hey!  Quit screwing around!"  Still, the quarterback did
not move.  Coach Buchek has coached that team for over twenty-five
years.  They won District title three years in a row.  He and Cyndy
had been married thirty years, they had two beautiful twin daughters,
Marilyn and Kimberly, and one son, Danny.  Danny would be the
quarterback who was now laying motionless on the football field.

Coach Buchek sent word to call 9-1-1, which meant the hospital
dispatched an ambulance, and he started CPR.  But he told people
later that as soon as he turned Danny over, he knew that he and his
wife had lost their only son.  The boy gazed, unseeing, up at
himself, already in Heaven.  They cut his uniform off him.  Coach
tried artificial respiration.  The man knew all the right things to
do.  The EMT guys got there in four minutes.  Danny was dead.

I just realized you might think this whole book is about people
dying, but it is  not.  It is just a coincidence that both Daddy and
Danny have died right here in the very first part.  People die all
the time.  And often, it's a surprise.  Especially to the person who
dies.  Neither Daddy nor Danny woke up on those mornings, thinking,
"I'm going to die today."  One moment they were there, and then, the
next, they

Just like that sentence.  Weird, huh?

There was nothing the EMT people could do.  The Assistant Coach, an
already-troubled young man named Jesse Morales, was on all fours in
the end zone, sobbing his heart out.  The other players stood around
in clusters, muttering and staring, pale and slump-shouldered,
bouncing their helmets off their thighs.  One kid dropped his helmet
and commenced kicking it around the field.

Word spread like a brush fire in this little town, of course.
Everyone knows the Bucheks, everyone knew Danny.  Up at the Methodist
Church, the Sunday School for teens had grown less than popular.  The
one kid who still showed up every week was Danny Buchek.  Marilyn and
Kimberly are college graduates and live in Houston.  They both do non-
profit work, one for an AIDS organization, and another for something
called The Invisible Children.

Within an hour there were over a thousand people up at the school.
They arrived there on foot, on bikes, in cars, drawn to the place
like pigeons gather and move towards a lunch eater on a park bench.
The principal called Coach Buchek at home and asked him what he
wanted him to do.  "I'll come on down," he said.

They set up a quick sort of assembly in the gym, with the PA system
and the bleachers.  The place was packed.  No one knew what they were
doing there, or what the program would be.  Everybody was in shock,
people were crying and a few were wailing, but mostly the people were
subdued and shaken.  The thing is, no one really knew what had
happened to Danny.  It was a hot day, yes, but not that hot.  Danny
didn't take drugs.  He had no asthma or health problems.  But it
surely must have played in Coach Buchek's mind that he may have
pushed his players too hard.  That, somehow, this was all his fault.
And the loss in his own life, how could he even absorb such a thing?

People will talk about that assembly for generations here in
Friendship.  Coach Buchek spoke for about twenty minutes.  He stood
up straight.  He did not crumble or cry.  He told the events of the
afternoon as a father figure, but not as a father.  His grief was
clearly not for public consumption.  He was Coach Buchek, and he had
a certain image and reputation to live up to.  Strong, firm,
reassuring, expecting the best behavior you could summon up from your
character.  He thanked the EMTs and hospital and everyone present,
said that he did not know what happened, that no one did, but they
would find out, they would definitely find out, and then he finished
with, "All I can figure is that God decided he needed another
quarterback."

Two days later, every car in town had a decal on it, with Danny's
number 15 and "In loving memory" curling through it.  Within the
week, every high school football player in the district had a decal
like that on his helmet.  Coach Buchek and Danny had been in the
middle of sanding and painting their family home when the accident
happened, and by the weekend it had been completed by friends.
Another friend showed up with a refrigerator for the garage.  "Y'all
are gonna get a lot of food.  You're gonna need this."

Danny died in mid-August, and by the time school started, the locker
room had been renamed.  At the first Friday night football game,
there was a moment of silence, another noble, somber speech of
gratitude from Coach Buchek, and they held a raffle to add to the
Memorial Scholarship fund begun by the sale of the decals.  Fifty
percent went to a winner, fifty percent to the fund.  The winner,
Melanie Petit, immediately donated her fifty percent back to the fund.

The town is starting to move on.  Coach Buchek and Cyndy, of course,
are stuck.  They haven't changed Danny's room.  The sheriff still has
Danny's uniform that was cut off him that day.  Cyndy had done the
laundry and had no clothes or linens that smelled of her boy.  One of
the twins -- I can never tell them apart -- came home to live for the
first few weeks, and Cyndy acted a lot better than she felt, for the
girl's sake.  But after the daughter went back to Houston, Cyndy
spent many afternoons talking to herself and crying about having
nothing full of Danny's smell at all, nothing at all.  She'd be
wandering alone in her house, smelling her sofa, the curtains in his
room, looking under his bed for a totem.  It went on for hours and
hours.

I watched her from the alley that runs along the back of their
house.  I watched the family before Danny died, and I have been very
intentional about including them in my rounds since then, of course.
They are out of the way of most of my routes, but I make the effort.

The first time I saw Cyndy smile after Danny died was almost a month
later.  Someone had finally cleaned out his locker at school, and
Coach brought her a pair of Danny's dirty sweat socks.  She first
beamed at her husband, they laughed, and embraced each other.  But by
the time the whole scene was over, they were holding onto each other,
sinking to the floor together, clutching on to each other.  I
witnesses keening.

This evening, Coach Buchek stood in his driveway, looking down, his
hands on his hips.  He wears a baseball cap when he coaches -- he's
balding on top and he can't take the son.  He's fifty years old.  two
months ago he could have passed for 35.  He is gray now, and his skin
sags, and his lips are thinner.

I read somewhere that 90% of marriages break up after the death of a
child.  The partners just can't stand the sight of each other.  Your
spouse is a constant reminder of the tragedy.  Coach and Cyndy have
great faith, and are strong and good people.  But every day everyone
in town greets them with sorrow in their eyes.  Every day, people
stop laughing when they enter a room.  everyday the tinyness of
Friendship becomes a burden and there is no escape for them.

That's why Coach has been spending time with Winnie Taylor.  He
hasn't gone to her house, I've been over there and she lives alone
and is always alone.  The day Coach seeks her out at her house is a
day that I will be there, I promise you.

Sometime in the next week or so, too, they'll be driving into
Austin.  There was a autopsy, of course, but it took a ridiculously
long time.  Testing, I guessing.  They'll go into Austin to find out
what killed Danny.  If it was anything at all that Coach could have
prevented, the world will end at their house.

Coach Buchek stares at the driveway a long time, then rubs the back
of his neck and straightens his shoulders to go into the house.  He
and Danny used to come home to a house full of lamp light and cooking
smells.  Cyndy always had music on, too.  She liked to sing and dance
while she cooked.

I watch from the window as Coach enters the house, which is full of
dimness and quiet.  He flips on a light, blinks in the brightness,
and flips it off again.  A soft lamp comes on a few seconds later.
Coach pauses and cocks his head, listening.

It is several long minutes before Cyndy finally comes downstairs.