TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 42

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Oct 28 09:13:31 PDT 2006

October 28, 2000000006

Dear Youz Guyz,

	No matter how much sleep I get at night,
I wake up looking like I'd tossed and turned all
night.  My mother says, "Go back to bed.  You
look tired."  And, I feel tired, too.  Maybe it's
the drawn out period of stress.  I've been on a
stress mill for months now.  People tell me that
I'm doing excellently considering what I'm going
through, and I demur insisting that I'm not doing
as well internally as the outer shell looks.
Still, I'm not crying all the time, or standing
on top of tall buildings looking for a good place
to land below.  I think writing up these brief
stories from my life is holding me together.
It's something I do every day.  Is it still of
interest?

	Today is Shabbos and I take a rest from
the worries and work of the week.  All those
worries and work will be there when Shabbos is
over, and I can pick up where I left off.
Shabbos is an anchor of delight.  A day to play
in.

	Play with this.

Playing With Dolls

	It never took much to amuse me.  I was
not one of these kids who keeps returning to
Mommy whining, "I'm bored!"  My mother says she
was a bored child.  "What can I do?  What can I
do?"  To which her aunt Belle would say,
"Mildew."  But according to my memory and what my
mother has told me, all she had to do was give me
a pencil and a few pieces of paper and I was busy
for hours.  I did like to draw, and I did invent
stories from the things I was drawing.  I had
imaginary playmates, too.  The earliest was Joony
Judy who lived in the hallway outside our
apartment in Hyattsville, Maryland.  I remember
going out into the hallway to play with Joony
Judy.  We got along really well, never fought,
and went on adventures together.  My sister had
no imaginary playmates, but my cousin, Marcie, my
mother's brother's eldest, had an invisible
playmate called Jingle C. Walowski.  He lived in
the curtains.

	I didn't play with dolls in the
traditional sense, and never played Mommy.  In
fact, I never wanted children, didn't imagine
myself a mother, was frankly scared to death of
being a parent.  I was afraid I'd turn into a
monster like my father.  Who knew what dark
surprises lay dormant within me?  So I steered
clear of playing house.  I did play an adoption
agency woman, though.  Dana and a friend of hers
were playing house and they decided they wanted a
baby, so they went to the adoption agency.  It
was my part to greet them and find them a
suitable baby, show them around.  I did what I
imagined would be the case.  I said, "This is a
very nice one, and she's only fifty dollars."
Dana and her friend made big fun of me for that.
"You don't pay fifty dollars for a baby!  It's
not done like that!  Boy are you stupid!"  and
more than that.  What did I know?  I took my cues
from the world around me and television.  There
was a price on everything, including heads, I
figured.  Actually, if I'd wanted to be accurate,
I could have countered with initial agreement,
"You're right.  You don't pay fifty dollars for a
baby," but gone on to correct myself, "It's more
like ten thousand dollars."

	Dana and I did receive dolls as presents.
Grampa Benny ran a place called, The Bell Bazaar,
named after the Saint Francis of Assissi Mission
Bell in San Francisco.  It was at Sixteenth and
Mission streets.  It had a full array of
stationery items, plus toys, novelties, and even
a post office in the back.  I loved that place.
Grampa would receive samples in the mail from toy
wholesalers who wanted his business and
routinely, we would get two dolls, identical
except for the colour of their hair and clothes.
Dana would get the green plaid one, and I would
get the red plaid one.  It has ruined red for me
for most of my life.

	We didn't exactly play with the dolls the
way they were intended to be used.  The packages
said, "Realistic soft skin, eyes that open and
close, head, arms and legs that move!"  And, yes,
indeedy, they did.  We wound up those arms, legs
and heads until the rubber bands holding them to
the body snapped.  Then we had doll hospital.
Sometimes the wigs on these dolls came off after
rigorous pulling, and of course, the clothing
tore after being yanked off and shoved on a
thousand times.  The dolls got a lot of use in
their first incarnations, and then we decided to
make one of them into a man.  We needed a male
doll.  We were into realism.  So we tore the rest
of the loose wig off, coloured the head with
paint for  hair, and then tried to fasten a penis
to it.  We knew generally where it should go and
roughly what the lump in a man's trousers looked
like, but we weren't sure of the exact shape of
the member in question.  We got a roll of scotch
tape and built up the crotch until there was a
sufficient lump.  But then all we had were
dresses to put on him.  And those eyelashes were
too coquettish anyway.  We stapled skirts
together and cut them to make slacks.  Red plaid
slacks, like a golfer.  Eventually, all we had of
our dolls were basic torsos with gaping holes for
appendages and heads, and a jumbled heap of arms,
legs, wigs and skulls.  We were hard on toys.

	My first choice was never dolls.  My
first choice was building materials, like the
forerunner of leggos.  There were tiny red
bricks, see through glass bricks, windows and
mouldings, doors and foundations.  I would work
these things for hours, creating partial houses,
before I'd tear them down and start again.  I did
not like board games.  They made me anxious with
all the competition to win.  That feeling of
being chased by an adversary never sat well with
me.

	At the Bell Bazaar, Grampa would take us
down the toy aisle and point up at the boxes.
He'd ask us to pick out something for ourselves,
and that's what we'd go home with.  Sometimes,
there was nothing there that we wanted, and we'd
have to choose a doll just to choose something
and avoid insulting Grampa.  He wasn't easily
insulted, though.  He loved us to distraction.
He told us stories that he made up from his head,
right there on the spur of the moment, about
Silly, Tilly and Trilly, three sisters who got
into adventures, often involving baseball,
Grampa's passion.  We'd hound him to tell us a
story, and he'd finally relent and weave some
tale even better than the last.  I loved that
more than all the toys you could give me.
Listening to Grampa tell stories was worth a
thousand dolls, even dolls with their heads and
extremities in tact.

Coloured Water

	Virginia is right next to Maryland, and
Luray Caverns are in Virginia.  We took a road
trip there when I was probably about four years
old.  Just literate.  It was a long drive for a
kid of my age.  And from this trip, I recall
nothing whatever of the caverns.  I only remember
what happened outside.  It was hot and muggy, and
I was thirsty.  There were drinking fountains and
I headed for the one closest to me.  It had a
sign over it:  "Colored".  I thought this sounded
terrific.  I envisioned rainbows of water arcing
out of the tap.   I was stepping up and pulling
the handle for the water to come out when an old
woman approached me, pulling me away from the
fountain.

	"That's for coloureds," she said,
derisively.  "You go to the white fountain."  And
she pointed to another fountain a ways away where
the pale skins were waiting in line for their
turn at the pump.  Coloured, white, this all went
completely over my head.  All I knew is I wanted
a drink of water, and this lady was telling me I
couldn't, when obviously I could, or that it was
broken when obviously it worked, or that somehow
I was doing the wrong thing, which seemed
unlikely.  At this point, my mother came over and
addressed the woman.  "She can drink water from
whatever fountain she wants," she told her, and
she watched while I took my big slurps off the
coloured fountain.  The lady abruptly
disappeared, perhaps to get the tar and feathers.

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net