TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 41

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Oct 27 08:17:34 PDT 2006

October 27, 200006

Dear People of the Season,

	Halloween is just around the corner, and
Feyna is planning on being a punk witch --  pink
wig, torn clothing safety pinned together, fake
body piercings (she has none but one on each
ear), fake tattoos.  But the costume is going to
cost more money than she has, so she's been doing
extra chores for extra money.  In the end, she's
going to borrow money from me in order to
purchase all the things she needs for the
costume.  And then she'll go down to my sister's
house on Halloween.  Up here at my Mom's, we get
maybe a handful of kids, maybe two or three
groups.  But down at my sister's, it is such a
yearly grand event that when you sell your house
if you live there, you have to disclose that on
Halloween there may be as much as 1000 kids that
come by the house.

	I like my Halloweens quiet.  I carve a
fine pumpkin and the glow looks enchanting.  Then
there's pumpkin soup (with ginger and juiced red
bell pepper), pumpkin ice cream, and the last of
it is the rotting pumpkins outside on the walk,
needing to be scraped up with a spatula when they
get slimy.  It happens so suddenly.  One moment
they are perky and lit up.  The next, they are
moldy and caved in, liquidy, putrid.  And we have
to get rid of them.

	My brother grows big pumpkins.  I mean
very big.  He grows the 600 pound variety, and
every year, he enters these gargantuan monsters
into competitions.  He comes away with some local
prizes, too.  This year, he and Carol were away
on vacation for a week, and in that week,
families of deer came by and ate all the
blossoms.  So this year, no colossal pumpkins.
But there will still be hundreds of smaller ones
(a few two hundred pounders) to unleash at his
annual pumpkin carving party.  This year at my
sister's house.  You come with your power tools
if necessary, your knives and ingenuity and you
pick a pumpkin or two, and then you carve them.
You get to take home your favourite.  The rest
stay at the house to bedazzle all the kids and
parents on Halloween.  Hundreds of lit up
pumpkins, some works of art, some large enough
for little kids to sit inside and have their
pictures taken.  He's been doing this for thirty
years almost, I think.  And we've heard stories
of people bumping into each other in Central
America, getting to talking and finding out that
each one of them had been to one of Daniel's
pumpkin carving parties.

	Another carving.

                             ¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶§¶

The Ledge at the Edge

	I had all these talents, and I didn't
know what to do with them.  I suppose, being as
impractical as I was, I assumed that the talents
would just blossom into a life full of reward and
approbation.  But that seldom happens.  If it
did, we would all just go out there on our
twentieth birthdays and stand on the ledge at the
edge of the world waiting for our shining
destinies to swoop out of the firmament and carry
us away to fulfillment and solvency.  I think I
was standing out there on the ledge at the edge,
and I was shaken that nothing happened.  No art
gallery took my wacky constructions and made a
known artist out of me.  No publishing house
knocked on my door begging to see my journals.
And as much as I chased it, and as very close as
I got, the music industry did not claim me to be
a genius and star, but rather, something too
different to take a risk on, and they all passed
on this great opportunity.  So I was at thirty or
so, having ravaged myself with bulimia, no longer
inclined toward suicide, without a place to put
my calling.

	My mother and I had a conference, and a
few things were decided.  I would take voice
lessons and composition lessons, and we would try
to find me some manager, a career packager, a
person who could, seeing all my gifts, tell me
how to box it all up and make a life out of it.
Did such a person exist?  Are those people off
beyond the ledge on the edge advising the
swoopers how to fetch the awaiting masses and
deliver them to their happy destinies?

	What we found, through calling a few
people and then calling the people they told us
to call, and then following up on those leads,
and then so on and so forth, was a publicist
named Bonnie Weiss who came highly recommended as
a creative thinker, someone who just might be
able to make sense of all this.  We went together
to meet her in her San Francisco
office/apartment.  She was a warm and open woman
with a few well placed wrinkles and a track
record about half a mile long.  She watched and
listened as I showed her samples of my artwork,
stacks of short stories, tapes of my music, and
went on about the various other things I could
do: cook, analyze handwriting, toss around the
repartee, tell stories, wave my arms and hands
around and make faces, make people laugh, make me
cry.  She took it all in and then did some
internal deliberations.  She would call us with
some ideas.

	When she called, she said what she could
do was what was familiar to her, and she had once
done publicity for a handwriting expert.  She
proposed we have me go public as a handwriting
analyst, drawing on my vivid personality, book me
on radio and television programs and have me give
workshops, do individual handwriting analyses,
and couples compatibility studies, stage a whole
media blitz, get me known.  But before we
embarked on this, she wanted to test my
abilities, and she asked me to analyze her
handwriting.  We travelled back to San Francisco.
I asked her to get out a few eight and a half by
eleven sheets of unlined paper and write with her
favourite implement, write like a letter to a
friend, write until she felt comfortable with it,
and the handwriting looked like it was hers.  If
it took several pages, fine.  If she wrote
several different ways, write those different
ways a bit, and at the end, sign it with her full
legal signature.  She did so.  And I sat there,
like a performance piece, and with her
handwriting on the table in front of me, I went
on about who she was and what made her tick and
untick.  She was sufficiently awed that she was
willing to go forward with this media blitz.

	What I should have said was, "But
handwriting analysis isn't what I love the most.
It's just something I'm awfully good at.  What I
need is to figure out how to get me a career
being me."  But I didn't.  I accepted what she
said, because I was desperate, finished chasing
the music business and down on my luck and
myself.  I thought, "Well, this could lead to
something."  And of course it did.

	Before Bonnie and her media blitz, I used
to think that the items on the seven o'clock news
were the product of journalists searching for
stories, discovering newsworthy people and
events.  After Bonnie's media blitz, I came to
know that the seven o'clock news is mainly the
product of publicists sending promotional packets
to journalists who sit there at their desks all
day, waiting to find something amusing about
something that comes flying at them with, "I beg
you, publicize this!" printed in day-glo orange
on the outside.  Whatever is the loudest wins the
contest.  Bonnie sent out her promotional packets
to radio and television stations, newspapers and
periodicals, and offers came back for interviews
on the air, programs to invite me to participate
in.  I was booked solid for a few months.  Every
radio show, every television program I did was an
opportunity for promotion of myself as the
handwriting expert.  And by and large, people
were impressed with me, you know, as a package.
It was all very exciting and engrossing, and I
took to the public eye naturally.  I was never
nervous, and I soaked up the cameras and the open
phone calls from listeners, and I shined.  But it
was all empty.  This isn't what I wanted to do
with me.  I liked the attention, but those
promoting me had lost sight of my calling.

	In the end, I went to bed starving for
what I loved to do, and now I had no time to do
it in.  I charged a mighty penny to do
handwriting analyses.  My message machine was
filled with enquiries.  The people who came to
see me regarded me as a guru, and they all went
away, having their minds blown by the lady with
the long skirt and all the rings.  How could she
have known that about me?  How could she tell
from my sample of handwriting, so much that no
one else knows when it's explained to them in
great detail?  And because I was still aimless, I
shriveled up my handwriting analysis business,
and I curled up in my bed and wept.  Where had
all this gotten me?  It all petered out, and I
went back to my post at the ledge on the edge of
the world, awaiting something else, something
more personal.  I'd failed at success once again.
What were we going to do with me?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA