TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 39

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Oct 25 07:59:19 PDT 2006

October 25, 20000000006

Dear Everyone, and that means you,

	Thank you to those of you who "weighed
in" on the issue of the rental house.  It helped.
Most of you told me to tell the landlord and lady
to go fuck themselves, worded in a variety of
ways.  But I didn't have to, because I crunched
the numbers during a bleak moment thinking about
awfulnesses, and came up with: after the $10,000
move, I can't afford it.  The rent's too high
($4,500/month) and what with moving again, and
first and last plus deposit, I couldn't do it.
So that's what I told the woman.  She offered to
come down on the rent, but by a measly two
hundred a month.  I told her I still couldn't
afford it, and that I wished them luck.  Sorry
all around.  Oh well, so here I am at my mother's
house for a while, until I'm finished licking my
wounds from the move.  And I'll just have to
worry about something else, like how living in
the same house erodes a beautiful relationship.
(My mother is following me all over the house).
I have plenty to busy me.

	More busyness.

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Abnormal Psychology

	By the time I was thirteen, I was dying
to see a shrink.  I knew enough to know I was
confused and miserable, that things were not as
they should be at home.  I knew what neurotic
meant, and I knew I belonged.  I suspected that
my perseveration about suicide was outside of the
norm, that I needed help badly.  I divided my
time between  laughing and crying.  There was not
much in between.  I was frightened of my father
and felt abandoned by my mother who allowed my
father to treat us three children pretty much as
he felt like.  We were his laboratory rats, and
he was deep into his sadistic research.

	I also knew that my parents had both gone
off to their private appointments with therapists
at various times.  It was a mysterious, nearly
sacred connection they had with their therapists,
because unlike everything else that became public
knowledge, it was forbidden to ask about what
went on between the psychologist and my mother or
father.  Something private!  Unheard of in  my
house, where every detail of your outer and inner
life was opened up for inspection and commentary.
If I so much as relaxed my face and was not
smiling or joking around to get others smiling, I
was asked, "What?  What's the matter?"  The
thought that I might be able to talk with someone
without having to reveal every word seemed
unfathomable.  I wanted it.

	I asked my mother if I could see a
shrink.  She said she'd try to arrange it through
Kaiser Permanente Hospital, our health plan.  The
first meeting was arranged.  It would be for an
evaluation, to see if I needed therapy.

	I sat in a chair and the therapist, a
woman, sat behind a desk.  She asked me why I was
there, and I attempted, as best I could to sound
absolutely insane.  I wanted to qualify for
therapy.  I wanted this, and only a
misinterpretation of my state of sanity was in my
way.  So I told her that from school, it was like
walking down a long corridor, and in that
corridor everything began to change, so that by
the time I got home, it was hell.  There were two
different worlds.  Of course, I didn't articulate
that my father treated me as if he were my
suitor, or describe some of the family scenes
that had taken place, nor did I go into my
suicidal fantasies.  I kept family secrets
secret.  But I explained how wretched was my lot.
She listened, nodding her head, adjusting herself
in her chair, her hands folded on her desk.  She
looked very serious, even grim.

	I wanted to scream, "HELP!  HELP ME!"
But I didn't.  I did say that I really needed to
see someone, that my life was crazy, and I wanted
someone to tell me that I was sane.  The fifty
minutes went by as I made my sales presentation.
Then, it was over.  She let me out, saying that
she would consider all the things I said, and
would call my parents and tell them about the
corridor.  I supposed she would render her
decision at that point.  I waited.  I waited some
more.  Finally, we got a phone call from her.
She told my parents she didn't think I was as yet
ready for therapy.  I was outraged.  What did I
have to do to be ready?  Should I be on a ledge
threatening to jump?  Should I be wandering the
streets carrying on an animated conversation with
various people who weren't there?  How could I
have flunked this test?  It was my most important
final exam.

	I did without.  At last, when I'd been
away to the University of Washington in Seattle,
and dropped out after the first quarter because I
couldn't adjust and cried all the time, they took
me back to the same idiot who said I wasn't ripe.
Oh, I was plenty much too ripe fine, now.  And in
the first session, she expressed to me that my
parents were worried about me, especially my
father who cared for me so much.  It dawned on me.

	"You're the one my father's been seeing, aren't you!" I accused.

	"Well, yes, I have been seeing him as a
patient, on and off for a number of years."

	"Well that concerned father you speak of
so fondly, that so concerned man beats me."

	I said the lie with spite and vengeance.
I was getting even for the years I'd been on hold
getting ready to be insane enough to need her
help, when all along, her loyalties were
conflicted.  I was furious.  And I left her with
that salvo, never came back, sought therapy
elsewhere.

	I finally got my therapist after I
swallowed pills for the second time, and the
folks at the emergency room handed me a list of
shrinks.  I asked, "I don't know any of these
people.  Who's good?"

	"They're all good."

	I doubted it.

--