TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 28

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Oct 13 08:53:24 PDT 2006

October 13, 20000000006

Dear People,

	The Family Packers have come once and will be here today,
too.  Their service is packing for a move, except the furniture which
the movers will take care of, and unpacking when you get where you're
going.  I could cry thinking of the impossible labour they are saving
me.  It's a mom and daughter operation.  They are both soft spoken
and cheerful, and both have shocks of grey and white hair.  They've
packed the kitchen, and I forgot to tell them to leave out a spreader
(for Meyshe's tuna fish lunch) and my favourite cleaver.  So I'm
using what I can, which will be packed today when they come.  I spent
hours and hours yesterday in my room going through papers and
discarding, boxing, sorting.  What a lot of details living creates.
I envision myself walking through life with a growing cloud of papers
swirling behind me.  When it gets big enough to knock me over and
suffocate me, then my time is up.

	In other news, my sister in law wrote to me and asked if I
could somehow refrain from bringing the cats over to my mother's
house, even if they live in the basement only (which is the
arrangement).  She is allergic to cats and the allergens, even if
they're only in the basement, will permeate the house.  I couldn't
think of a way to solve the problem, except giving the cats away or
having them put down.  I can't bring myself to do that.  They're my
children, too.  So I've got another reason to be on the verge of
tears all the time.  Sometimes it's impossible to do the right thing.

	Listen here.

                            ^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^><^

How Miss Baxter's Sleeve Brushed My Face

	The kindergarten attached to Rock Creek Forest Elementary
School was held in the basement of a nearby church.  The presiding
kindergarten teacher was Miss Baxter, a largish woman with red
bristly hair and the meanest expression a five or six year old could
imagine.  She was stern.  She was abrupt.  She had none of the
qualities associated with kindly effusive, affectionate kindergarten
teachers.  I don't remember Miss Baxter reading to us, and I don't
remember her encouraging us about anything.  I do remember her
disciplining us, though.  She was famous for discipline.  When a
child didn't lie down for a nap, she grabbed the child by some
appendage or other and dragged him or her kicking and screaming to
the mat.  When little Linda was not listening, she berated Linda
soundly and made fun of her in front of all the other children.  And
if anyone was foolish enough to defy Miss Baxter, she was not averse
to physical roughing up:  a shove, a slap, a good shaking.

	Why do people like that decide to teach kindergarten?  If you
could choose a more frustrating age to teach togetherness, the
alphabet and social niceties to children, then it would be junior
high school when the damage of not being taught these things has
already been done, and they are at the natural age of rebellion and
defiance.  Overturn the Queen!  Off with the King's head!

	All the kids in kindergarten knew Miss Baxter's temperament.
We knew what would set her off and that there was no such thing as
teacher's pet.  No amount of apples, shiny, candied, dipped in honey,
or signed by the President would curry favour with the old witch.
Old, I don't know.  She may have been in her forties or fifties at
the time.  But a witch?  We had ample evidence.  Everyone hated her
and was afraid of her.  To the parents, however, she was smarmy and
sweet.  You could bake cookies out of her.  She'd smile and chat,
ingratiate herself, sound upbeat and personable.  What a great gal.
But we knew what a hypocrite was.  That was our major lesson in
kindergarten.  Maybe the alphabet would have to wait.  Social
niceties, ditto.

	One day, Miss Baxter set up easels for painting.  They were
all over the room, standing like capital As on the dark brown
speckled linoleum tiles.  We were each placed in front of an easel,
given three brushes, a few cups of colourful paint, and told to paint
a portrait of someone, anyone in the classroom.  This was difficult
stuff for a five or six year old.  I set my sights on Miss Baxter.  A
nice portrait of her was owed the whole class.  So I painted a huge
white face with a bush of red hair standing out at all angles, huge
eyes behind black rimmed glasses, and a whole lot of very sharp
teeth.  Miss Baxter walked around the room commenting and asking
questions of the little artists.  When she got to me, she asked me
who it was, and I said, delighted with my efforts, "It's you, Miss
Baxter!  It's you!"   So I should have given her a red face, but when
I'd been looking at her during the execution of the portrait, it was
still quite white.  She became very angry and she raised her right
arm and swung around to slap me flat across the face with her open
hand.  I immediately burst into tears, and stuck my tongue out at
her.  That's when she took a fistful of my hair and yanked me, my
tongue still out, into the corner where I had to stand, sobbing,
until it was time for nap.  By the time school was over that day, I'd
stopped weeping and was calm, almost as if I'd forgotten about the
incident, but when I came down the street with Susie Marshall and saw
my mother in the doorway waiting for me, I started to cry again.
Susie yelled to my mother, "Tobie got in trouble today!  Tobie got
her hair pulled today!" in a taunting sing song.

	My mother believed my story about what happened, probably
because I was filled with guilt over the excellent errant portrait.
It's hard for grown ups to believe their little children in matters
like this.  I don't know why.  My mother went to the principal for a
meeting.  As my mother tells the story, when she got to the
principal's office, Miss Baxter was in on the meeting.  Now, how
could one be blunt?  Miss Baxter's story was that her sleeve must
have brushed my face, and the principal believed that.  Miss Baxter
was full of smiles and assurances.  Who wouldn't believe her?

	But my mother believed me, and called other parents who
verified the story and told their own stories, too.  She went back to
the principal armed with more evidence.  My mother removed me from
the kindergarten.  I just didn't go to school for the rest of the
year.  At the end of the year, the head of the PTA called to tell her
that Miss Baxter had been transferred to a different school, possibly
one where slugging a child in the face was not just acceptable, but
exemplary.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA