TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 23

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Oct 8 16:11:05 PDT 2006

October 8, 20000000006

Dear Me, We Must Move,

	I've been busy packing, going through closets and separating
the wheat from the chaff, and tossing clothing to the Goodwill.  It
seems like a moving task that will never be done, but I know it will
be.  Now if I could only get the key to the new place, and all those
phone calls I must make.  Oh dear me.

	Tobie

+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+

Homestead, Florida

	Dweller and I decided to get married after we'd lived
together for about a year.  Now, looking back, I think a year and
some is not enough time to know someone well enough to get married,
but neither is twenty years, so what the hell.  I asked Dweller if we
were going to get married, and he said that he was waiting until he
got his master's degree, then he was going to ask me.  That bothered
me, and I told him.  I wanted the decision to get married to be a
moment of passion, a sudden burst of love, an act of desperate
ecstasy brought on by an epiphany, not just a slow mulling over the
facts and then a slump shouldered admittance that it was about time.
Essentially, I didn't want reason to have a lot to do with it, and
that says a lot about who I was when I was twenty one.

	So we decided to get married, and the wheels were set in
motion.  Dweller already knew my family and they liked and accepted
him more than they liked and accepted me.  Dweller wanted me to come
meet his parents who were travelling the country with their trailer.
At the time, they were in Homestead, Florida, a place outside Miami.
We made reservations to fly back there and planned that on the way
back we would visit New Orleans, a place neither of us had been.  I
was very excited to be heading back east, a whole three thousand
miles, to meet my sweetheart's parents.  I thought family was very
important, and I wanted to have a terrific relationship with them.  I
pictured myself the eager, respectful, willing daughter-in-law, a
little off-beat, special, specially nice, and making their eldest son
so happy.

	They were there in the airport, standing together at the gate
when we walked off the plane.  Dweller introduced me and I stepped
forward to give his father and mother a hug.  The reception I
received was cold.  His father stiffened and stepped back.  His
mother smiled thinly but did not return my embrace.  They ushered us
to the baggage claim and went to get the car.  I told Dweller in
their absence that they seemed not to like me, and he said that his
father was rather cool, and maybe his mother was flustered.  This
coolth and flusteration continued.  They barely spoke to me, instead
speaking to Dweller and having him be the bearer of  messages.  I was
beside myself, but being in love sustained me.

	We slept in the trailer, me on a window seat and Dweller on
the floor nearby.  During the day, they took us to meet some
relatives who lived to the west about fifty miles.  We drove through
marshy territory where people sat at the edge of the water fishing.
The groups of fishers were all segregated by choice: the white
fishers here and the black fishers there.  We saw an African American
man running alongside the road, his shirt off, sweating in the
Florida sun.  Dweller's mother commented, "Just look at that young
buck."  Dweller felt me wriggle in my seat, driven to respond to the
racism, and he quieted me.  Make nice.  I thought considering the bad
foot we'd gotten off on, it might be best to shut up, even though my
ethics dictated otherwise.  And then there was the love of my future
husband to consider.  In honour of his desires, best to keep quiet.
I kept quiet with difficulty.  The visit with the relatives was more
pleasant than the times alone with his parents, but not by much, and
evidently they had something to say about my conduct, because when we
got back to Homestead, they took Dweller into the trailer to speak to
him while I walked around the perimeter of a small reservoir.

	When I got back to the trailer, I walked in and the whole
house went suddenly silent as death.  Dweller said, "Let's go for a
walk," as he swept past me, took my arm and led us outside where we
repeated the steps I'd just finished taking around the reservoir.  He
was serious, and disheartened.  I could see it in his face.  No.  It
was more than that.  He was crying.

	"What happened?" I asked.  He was searching for words, but
couldn't find them.  Something dawned on me as the only possibility
and I drifted it out to him.

	"It's because I'm Jewish, isn't it?"  I said softly.  He
nodded his head.  He had been told by his parents that they were the
last of the progressive open minded people, a breed of compassionate,
sentient Americans, and he'd believed them.  It all came out now.  He
was suffering from having his world view crushed.  He was putting
things together and recognizing what he'd refused to recognize
before.  Yes, what about that argument he'd had with his father when
his parents were managing the Motel 6, over his policy not to rent to
black people?  What was his reason for not renting them rooms?  What
about the use of sayings like, "Nigger toes," for Brazil nuts?  What
about, "To Jew a guy down," or, "Going at it like two Jews in a junk
yard"?  Why hadn't he taken note?  Why was this a surprise?  Then, he
revealed the content of his conversation with them in the trailer.
They wondered what hold I had on him.  They told him he had to make a
choice.  It was, ". . . either her or us".  Aside from the fact that
that's a stupid threat to toss at a twenty six year old in love, it
was abominable.  Why had they let me come there at all?  He didn't
know.

	When we'd circled the reservoir and had come back to the
trailer, his mother and father were standing on a little grassy
mound.  His mother was frowning, her head down, and his father was
ripping up handfuls of grass and tossing them back down on the
ground.  His mother began.

	"We want to talk to you about the intermarriage between a Jew
and a gentile."

	"What I see is an intermarriage between Dweller and Tobie," I said.

	She went on that his friends would reject me because I was
Jewish, and my friends would reject him because he was not.

	"But we already have friends," we answered, "and nobody is
rejecting anybody."

	This didn't help.  What does help a bigot see the light?  A
nice Jewish girl?  A pile of reason?

	She continued, and was warming up.  "It was terrible what
happened to the Jews in Germany during the war, but then they came
over here in droves and treated us like lackeys."

	Dweller was trying to keep me quiet, subdued, polite, but I
couldn't listen to that.

	"First of all, there is no, 'but', to the terrible things
that happened to my people during the war.  Secondly, there were no
droves left to come over here.  And if, there were or weren't, God
forbid that anybody should treat a white man like a lackey."

	This was met with outrage.  I had been terribly rude.  They
were insulted.  They were insulted.

	The rest of the visit went downhill from there.  The next
day, they put us in the back seat of their car, and took us to Miami
Beach.  Oh arbiter of taste, and exempla gregia of haute culture,
Miami Beach, we hail thee.  When we were stopped at a crosswalk, the
citizens of Miami crossed in front of us, and Mrs. Cliff, the sweet
and loving mother of my beaux pointed out to us, "He's Jewish.  She
isn't.  Jewish.  Jewish.  Not Jewish.  Jewish.  They're both Jewish.
That one's not. . . "  I said I saw people, and they berated me.
"Don't tell us you can't see the difference."  Dweller squeezed my
hand to try to calm me, keep me from crossing them.  Let's make this
as nice as possible.  But how nice could it be?  Only with layers of
energetic lies could this scene be entertained as being acceptable.

	It got worse.  Now, whenever I rose from a chair, Dweller's
father would saunter over with a clean rag and wipe the seat off so
that my Jewish touchas would not be infecting the chair, ruining it
for some other respectable, untarnished butt.  I had never been
treated this way before.  I had never even witnessed anyone else
being treated this way.  On the third day, Dweller agreed that this
was no vacation.  We changed our reservations to return earlier, and
we skipped New Orleans.  We had a bad taste in our mouths; we needed
to be home.

	They told us to plan our wedding for whenever we wanted
because they wouldn't be there.  We planned our wedding for July
20th, 1969, the day the little men landed on the great big shiny
moon, and we sent Dweller's parents an invitation.  They called,
furious, because we'd planned our wedding purposefully for a time
when they couldn't come.

	In the years that we were married, Dweller wrote doggedly to
his parents, trying to win back their favour, explaining and
explaining and explaining, to no avail.  Dweller chose to marry a
Jewgirl, and he was being punished for that.  If you marry the
Jewgirl, we won't love you any more.  They may have been bigots, but
they weren't going to be dishonest.  I think of my poor husband,
Dweller, trying to earn his parents' favour back, endlessly, with
reason and a measure of begging.  Eventually, it was the
intermarriage between Dweller and Tobie that caused the marriage to
sink.

	I still remember having the chair wiped clean after I stood
up and removed my bottom from it.  My bottom was never so powerful as
it was in those few days in Florida.  I hate Florida.

+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net