TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 19

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Oct 3 08:26:09 PDT 2006

October 3, 200000000000000000006

Dear Hearts,

	My ex husband has made a list of the things he wants in the
division of property.  He came by while we weren't here (that was the
plan) and went through every little box, putting day-glo orange
stickers with numbers on them on each doo dad he desired.  The house
now is ablaze with little day-glo orange stickers with numbers on
them.  He also made a list to correspond to the stickers.  You cannot
imagine how petty he got.  His list claims, "light bulbs in boxes in
hall in basement",  "extension cords and bungees".  Where there were
two of something, say, two lamps, he marked both of them.  Yesterday
I was passing through the kitchen and there was a spaghetti squash
sitting on the counter.  It's been sitting there for a while.  You
know how fruit and produce now come with little labels sometimes?
The labels say things like, "Fuji Apple", or "Spaghetti Squash".
Well this spaghetti squash had a label on it, an orange label, and at
first glance, I thought villainman had tagged the squash.  I got a
big laugh out of that when I realized what had crossed through my
mind, and how close to the truth it was.

jjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjj

The Stars in New York City

	For my seventh birthday, my parents asked me what I wanted to
do.  And what I wanted to do more than anything else was go to New
York City to the Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History.  I'd
kept hearing about it and I wanted to go there.  So we all went.  My
birthday is in the summer which made this possible, and my father had
relatives all over New York City and New Jersey, which made it
desirable for him.  It was an exciting trip.  I remember so much from
it.

	On the way up to New York, we ate dinner at a Mexican
restaurant in Baltimore that had neon lights wrapped around the
perimeter of the ceiling.  When we got to New York, we stayed in a
hotel that was taller than any building I'd ever seen, and our room
was two rooms, actually:  one for my parents and one for my sister
and me.  We slept on cots, and I found that to be a great new word
with a crisp sound to it.  Sleeping on cots.  COTS.  COT, singular.
Our cots had their heads toward the middle of the room and our feet
near the coil radiators under the windows, which were of course
dormant in summer.  On the morning of my birthday, my sister came and
leapt on my cot.  Then she bounced around on me yelling, "Happy
Birthday!"

	During the first day, we went to Coney Island.  My mother was
very pregnant with my brother, and she walked along slowly, from side
to side, shifting her weight thoroughly with each step.  So I clung
to her and thought I was helping.  Probably not so.  The plans of
children often leave out some important considerations.   On Coney
Island, there was an exhibit that was housed behind a tall wall.  It
was supposed to be about what could happen in another world war,
World War III, with nuclear weapons, which were all the rage in the
fifties.  My mother warned that we'd best not go there because of my
delicate sensibilities.  It might scare me.  But Dana offered to
scale the tall wall and look inside the exhibit so she could report
to us whether it was safe for me to go in.  The wall had flames
painted on it, and Dana's feet with her tennis shoes on them dangled
cooly in the painted flames of hell on earth.  She looked in, her
head going from side to side, and jumped back down.  "It's all right.
It's just a bunch of cars and dummies."  So we paid our fare and went
in.  The cars she'd mentioned were burned out hulks that had been
scuffed and melted in the blast, and the dummies were simulated dead
bodies strewn about here, there and everywhere.  If you compared the
exhibit to what really might have happened in a nuclear war in the
1950s, it was ludicrous, timid stuff, even insipid, certainly tame.
But to my eyes, it was a horror beyond imagining.  I walked through
as if in a sanctuary, quietly, nearly without breathing, observing
the carnage as my insides turned and twisted and tied in a knot.  It
wasn't until we got outside that I shrieked and cried.  My mother
said she knew when she saw it that it wouldn't be good for me.  Dana
made fun of me for being so scared, but I think she was trying to
help.

	On this same trip, we took the ferry to the  Statue of
Liberty.  What I remember from the Statue of Liberty is mainly the
ferry ride on a boat that had a whole full sized snack bar, from
which my father purchased a Sugar Daddy caramel on a stick for me.
And this boat had actual real toilet stalls.  I did not notice how
clean or dirty things were, just that we were sailing on water in a
crowded boat, that I could walk straight up to the front, that there
were white woven metal fences around the edges, that the lady in the
green robes and the green skin with the green crown kept getting
bigger.  Ah, symbol of freedom, gatekeeper to the threshold of the
United States, protector of those huddled masses yearning to breathe
free, ah woman from France, you have an exceeding number of stairs.
You are hard to climb, even for an over sugared seven year old.

	From the boardwalk on Coney Island, we gaped at the ocean.
My father and my sister wanted to go into the great salt water with
the crowds, but my mother and I and my baby brother in utero stayed
behind.  It was a sweltering day and the mob of people was so thick
that there was very little space to sit down.  My mother, about as
enamoured of heat as I am, found a patch of unoccupied sand in the
shade, right under the Boardwalk, so that the wood slats of the grand
walkway cast striped shadows on the hot sand: a stripe of blazing
sunlight, a stripe of shadow, a stripe of blazing sunlight, a stripe
of shadow.  We sat there while Dana and my father waded out into the
ocean with a million other broiling humans.  Then some screaming up
above us.  A poor little kid had dropped his ice cream cone on the
Boardwalk.  And there it lay, melting in the sun, dripping down on
our heads.  We leaned away to let it drip between us.

	It is odd what I remember from my birthday trip to New York
City, because one of the prominent memories is not the Planetarium,
the initial motivation for the whole trip.  I remember vaguely that
there were chairs that we sat in that leaned way back, and that the
room got dark except for thousands of dots of light on the domed
ceiling.  I did not grow up to be an astronomer.  The stars I study
are much smaller, close by, intimate.

jjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjjyjj

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net