TheBanyanTree: It was a dark and stormy . . . DAY

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Thu Nov 30 08:53:20 PST 2006

Yuck.

That is all I can say.  Yuck.  Yesterday it never got brighter than a
dark gloomy overcast.  You know, "It was a dark and stormy night"
all day.  It started out being in the mid to low 60's when I came in to
the office, and went down hill from there.  It would rain and blow,
then just be dark.  And get darker.  Dark like it usually is here about
5:30 in the eve this time of the year - dark enough to make you need
to use headlights all day.

Then, about mid afternoon, the rain changed to sleet.  Rain and sleet
mixed together with lightening thrown in for good measure was the
evening fare.  This morning I awoke to hear sleet blowing against the
window of my bedroom.  Oh joy.  The weather forecast was correct
for a change.

I had a Chamber of Commerce function I wanted to attend to this
morning, so I got ready and headed out.  My vehicle has 4 wheel
drive so I engaged it and hit the streets.  The streets weren't bad!
Wet and sloppy but not much worry about sliding if you were even
the least bit careful.  Then the function was over and it was time to
head back to the office.  Two lousy hours were all that had passed.
The streets were more like 12 hours had passed.  Thick sleet and
pulverized sleet mixed with sand and salt from the city crews
covered the streets.  No clear patches anywhere!  I was glad I had
4WD.  I saw a few cars turn onto the street I was on from side
streets and promptly sit sideways facing the direction they had pulled
out from!  Too much gas + not enough traction = problems.  We are
supposed to get the brunt of the winter storm this afternoon with 5 to
15 inches of snow.  I'm putting my bet on something closer to 5
inches.  Even that will paralyze the city.  The weather forecasters are
talking more like 10 inches.  I hope they lie.

It is singularly quiet here in the building today.  Many people are
already starting to go home - those that came in anyhow.  When I got
here the parking lot was only about 1/4 full and it is usually close to
2/3 full.

So ends November.  With an ice and snow storm - after having
temps in the 70's two days ago, we expect a high of below freezing
today.  I'm so excited.  Can you tell how excited I am.  Yuck.

Russ