TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 69

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Nov 24 10:13:29 PST 2006

November 24, 200000000000006

Dear stuffed birds,

	In the middle of the evening, sitting
over our soiled plates, and half filled wine
glasses, I realized I didn't feel good.  I went
upstairs and took my temperature, the same way
you take the turkey's temperature, by sticking a
thermometer in it, and I registered a fever.  I
spent the rest of the evening in bed, staying
away from anyone to whom I might give my foul
disease, and resting my exhausted limbs.  I
worked hard yesterday.  And the result was stacks
and stacks of dirty dishes, glasses, goblets,
silverware, pots and pans, serving utensils.  Oh
what a pretty mess!  I came downstairs this
morning to set out Meyshe's medications and a
bowl of cereal for him, and saw the counter
splattered with undone dishes, roasting pans,
serving bowls, cups, saucers.  I brainlessly
stood at the sink and did most of the dishes.  I
worked until the drain board was filled and there
was no where else to put the cleaned dishes.
Then I got Meyshe's stuff ready, and trudged
upstairs to the computer.  I briefly thought,
"Should I have contaminated those dishes with my
sick hands?"  But my sick hands were immersed in
soapy water, and I doubt that I'd poisoned
anyone.  They'll be glad I did them.  Now,
sitting at the computer, I can't believe I had
the energy to scrub those pots and baking bowls.
But I did, and now I can't believe I have the
energy to type out another life story.  But it's
my daily ritual now.  Can't stop it or the sky
will fall.  A trace of OCD.  The house is quiet
except for my hammering on the keys.  Bang bang
bang.  I hope you all had a shining Thanksgiving,
a time of glistening gratitude for all those
things that bless your life.  I hope your
relatives and friends were on their best
behaviour, and no hostilities broke out between
warring factions.  Now it's time to clean up and
look forward to the rest of the holidays.  Since
I don't work outside the home, I've not been
invited to an office party, thank God.  And I'll
be feeling better by the end of the day.  I'm
sure of it.  This is a 24 hour illness.  I'm
counting the hours.

                            ¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼

Ticklish

	I used to be very ticklish.  I was one of
those kids who would laugh uncontrollably if you
wiggled your fingers at her from across the room.
Why does that work?  Is it purely Pavlovian?  For
this reason, tickling fights were not fair with
me.  I was the loser before the battle began.  I
couldn't even get close to anyone else before I
broke down laughing and squirming.  My sister
loved to tickle me.  She'd pick my most
vulnerable spot  --  right at the side of the
waist, above the hips and below the ribs  --
that fleshy part was my utter downfall.
Sometimes she would wiggle her fingers at me, and
I'd tell her to stop, but she wouldn't.  And what
grounds did I have to complain?  She hadn't even
touched me.  She'd barely moved.  But, oh, what
glee she got out of making me helpless.  This was
when we were little, in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Because I was so susceptible, I never tickled
anyone else.  It seemed kind of stupid.

	But, you know how kids are.  We are
always trying out new phenomena with our bodies:
curling our tongues, crossing and rolling our
eyes, pressing our arms against a door post,
counting to thirty and then stepping out,
watching in amazement while our arms lift up in
the air of their own accord.  We knot our fingers
up, then twist our arms and elbows around so that
we're good and disoriented.  Then we have someone
else point at a finger and we try to move that
one.  You can get good at it if you rehearse it,
but it's not easy.  (The idea is to stop and
think before wiggling a finger).  We put our hand
up against someone else's and then take our thumb
and forefinger and rub up and down on either side
of the joined fingers for that dead hand, live
hand sensation.  We try standing on one foot with
our eyes closed.  We put the tips of our index
fingers together in front of our faces and look
past it to see that double tipped sausage finger
suspended in midair between our hands.  We
experiment with these vessels we've been given,
in general making ourselves dizzy so we can fall
on the ground, lie there, woozy, then get our
bearings again until we can get  up and confuse
our bodies some more.

	It must have been educational for her the
first few times my she tickled me to death, but
after that, it was pretty much pure sadism.  I'd
beg her not to, and run away, and she'd chase
after me, calling out, "Tickle, tickle, tickle!"

	"Stop! Stop it!  MooooooOOOOooom!  Dana's
tickling me!  Tell her to stop!"  And I'd be
rescued if my mother was anywhere around.  If she
weren't, I would have to outrun my older sister
until I got into a room I could lock myself in;
the bathroom was best.

	One afternoon, we were horsing around in
the basement.  My father was in the shop, in the
next room, helping Joel Lubar, our twisted baby
sitter, make a telescope for his high school
science class.  Dana and I were playing some
games, and unfortunately, I won, because she had
to get even, and threatened to tickle me.  She
had me cornered and backed up against the wall,
protecting my sides.  I was wearing a little
white blouse with elastic puffy sleeves cut at
the shoulder, and peddle pushers, with a tiny
floral print on them, a periwinkle blue with
yellow and pink flowers, a little greenery.  Then
I had on my socks and sneakers tied in two double
knotted bows.  I remember how excruciating was
the wait, not knowing for a while what she'd do
to me.  I knew she was considering it.  Then, she
moved forward, stretched out her arms and waved
her ten fingers at me.  "Tickle, tickle," she
said in a sing song.  "Tickle.  Tickle.  I'm
tickling you."  I started to laugh, and I thought
of closing my eyes so I wouldn't see her hands,
but then she'd just move in on me while I was
blind and defenseless.  So I stood there, pressed
up against the wall, laughing hysterically while
she got closer and closer to me with her jiggly
wiggly fingers.  I started to squirm, yelling
"No!  Stop!  It isn't fair!"  But she didn't
stop, and that's when I lost all bladder control.

	A gush of pee coursed down the insides of
my legs soaking my peddle pushers, staining my
socks and filling my shoes.  A puddle of urine
bloomed around me.  My sister was ecstatic.  And
that's when my father and Joel Lubar came out of
the workshop, passed through the room and headed
up the basement stairs.  Joel Lubar looked back
at me from up on the stairs.  "What's the
matter?" he taunted me.  "Is there anything
wrong?"  He smiled a knowing smile and shook his
head before continuing up the stairs.

	I was caught.  I was seen.  I was
observed in a lake of my own urine, my legs
crossed and tears streaming down my face.  The
mortification was palpable, complete, stinging.
It was at that moment that I determined I would
no longer be ticklish.  I was going to will this
on myself.  No more ticklish.  From then on, the
wiggling fingers would not affect me.  From then
on, even the direct application of pinching,
pressure and poking in any of the ticklish zones
would not do anything but annoy me.  I would
start thinking of myself as someone who was not
ticklish.

	And from that moment on, I ceased being
susceptible to tickling.  My sister could apply
her pummelling little hands on my waist, or under
my arms, in back of my knees, my ribs.  Nowhere
had any effect on me.  The most she would get was
a sign of my displeasure because it caused a
reflexive muscular cringing.  But no laughter, no
loss of control, not even a smile.  I willed it
on myself, and it took.  It was the humiliation
that did it.  It moved me to wrench myself from
the land of the ticklish to the stoic land of the
impervious.  This has lasted my whole life.  I
cannot be tickled.  This has not affected my
ability to laugh, or even be giddy.  But it is
impossible to make me laugh by tickling me.  Mind
over reflex reaction.  I am cured.

                            ¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼ü¼¼¼
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net