TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 68

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Nov 23 08:22:13 PST 2006

November 23, 2000000006

Dear Celebrants,

	I want you all to go out there and eat
that turkey, eat that duck, eat that tofu-turkey
or giant stuffed squash, and fress upon all the
good food that turns up at your table.  Eat until
there is nothing left to be thankful for.  I've
already made the cranberry relish (a big tub of
it) and the humus for before dinner dipping.  I'm
making the yams in pomegranate syrup and this
year we're stuffing the turkey with gluten free,
wheat free bread, because of my brother's and
nephew's dietary restrictions.  We got ten extra
turkey tails, because there are those of us who
will pounce upon them: all fat and skin!  How
much better can you get?!

	I wish you all a good Thanksgiving, peace
among your family and friends and much more to be
thankful for than you'd ever realized.  You don't
need to count your blessings, just let them wash
over you like some warm wave coming in at the
beach.  Blessings to all.

                         §§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§‡‡§§

Sleeping beauty

	In kindergarten, I had Miss Baxter.  She
was the red headed sadist who hated children and
proved it every day.  In the first grade, I had
Miss Keys.  Miss Keys had a square face, snow
white skin and black hair that she pulled back
tightly from her face and secured in a bun in the
back.  Every hair went neatly into that orderly
little ball.  It was all perfect, one hair at a
time.  She wore big black rimmed glasses that
made her eyes look huge.  She was strict.  But
she was very good.  I liked her.

	I spent a lot of time looking out the
windows at the green grass and trees of Rock
Creek Forest which bordered our school.  I day
dreamed.  Well, a lot of time was spent in class
teaching reading, and I'd already learned to
read.  In fact, I'd asked for, "Dick and Jane",
for my birthday so I could read at home, and had
polished off the book before we were assigned it
in school.  It was old material and I lost
interest in being taught twice.  The first word I
learned to spell was, "knowledge", from the spine
of a book in our home library called, "The Big
Book of Knowledge."  I liked reading book titles:
"The Agony in the Kindergarten", "The Family of
Man", "Abnormal Psychology", "Don't Be Afraid of
Your Child", "A Rhyming Dictionary", "The World
Book Encyclopedia".  So much could be told about
the householders from the titles of their books
all lined up next to each other like the
paragraphs in a biography.

	So I was bored in class, and my eyes
wandered outside, to the ceiling, to the floor,
to the hole on my desk for an ink well that we no
longer needed due to ball point pens.  One day, I
day dreamed how nice it would be if I put my head
down on my desk and fell asleep, and was awakened
by Miss Keys saying, "What have we here?  A
sleeping beauty!"  So I put my head down in my
folded arms and tried to look beautiful.  Instead
of the script I'd written, what actually happened
was one of the other kids tattled, "Miss Keys!
Tobie's asleep on her desk!"  And Miss Keys came
over to my desk and woke me up, sternly
reprimanding me that I couldn't fall asleep in
class.  How could I have criticized her and told
her that she wasn't getting her lines right?:
What you're SUPPOSED to say is, "What have we
here?  A sleeping beauty!"  I was actually
surprised that it didn't turn out the way I
imagined it.  My belief system was so strong it
trumped reality.  That's something that has to be
adjusted in one way or another before leaving the
nest.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA