TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 61

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Nov 16 08:37:10 PST 2006

November 16, 20000000000006

Dear Who,

	Feyna has a friend out in Walnut Creek.
That is on the other side of a long tunnel built
through the east bay hills, and out into a vast
wasteland of strip malls, wealthy people trying
to get away from the black blight, a different
culture (some say no culture) a different climate
(they get much hotter and colder than we get), a
whole different world.  People shop out there.
That's about what there is to do.  And if you see
a person of colour, you know he or she works for
pitiful wages as a janitor or domestic, nanny, or
busboy.  I don't like it out there.  There was a
proposition on the recent ballot to drill a third
bore through the mountains so that more traffic
could travel between the two worlds.  I voted
against it, hoping that they would take option
two which is waiting for everyone to go back to
Contra Costa County for the night, and then
plugging up the two tunnels that exist.  Just
keep them out there.  Fat chance.

	Anyway, Feyna's friend has taken up a lot
of her time, and sometimes is a good friend to
her, but he and she get into arguments all the
time over basic things such as feminism (he
listens to rap music), culture (he is averse to
it), his temper (he routinely dresses down people
who displease him and is verbally abusive to
Feyna.  Plus any other little thing that crosses
their paths.  They disagree on all of it.  Then,
he pressures Feyna to do things that are not like
her.  He told her (get this) that she should
shave under her arms because it wasn't easy on
his eyes to see  her underarm hair.  And he
wanted her to put on slutty hoop earrings, and
dress differently for him.  He happens to be a
dumpy little guy with orange teeth and a huge
bushy Afro (he's white and half Jewish).  He even
lies.  I've caught him in self aggrandizing lies.
He also put Feyna down when she wrote a paper for
the class they're taking together (California
History).  He told her it was 8th grade stuff and
she really should go back to high school to learn
how to write a paper.  This hurt her feelings and
destroyed her self confidence for a while.  Then
there was the midterm.  It was all essay
questions.  She scored a 97 and he scored a 93.
He was mightily miffed and threw a little tantrum.

	As a mommy, I just have to watch this
friendship develop and hope that when she's
finally had it with him, or when he double
crosses her, badmouths her again to someone else,
steps over the line of what she can accept, she
won't be too devastated.  But I can't stop it.
She just has to learn this one herself.  And it's
going to hurt.  She says she knows he's flawed,
but she doesn't have the luxury of selecting her
friends and jiggling their qualities to her
liking.  She's right.  This guy and their mutual
friend, Natalie, whom Feyna has known for five
years, are the only friends she has.  I want her
to look elsewhere for friends.  And she agrees,
but doesn't know how to go about it.  What a
mess.  I watch and know that she has to do this
herself.  She's got to spring the nest.  Last
night she came into my room and lay down on my
bed because she wanted the company.  She said
that she'd had a bad session with her therapist,
because her therapist wants her to stop seeing
Alex because he's verbally abusive.  This put her
in a depressed mood.  She just wanted my
presence.  She fell asleep on the bed, and I just
wrote and read around her until she was awakened
by her cell phone going off.  Alex had called at
10:30.  She got up and went out to the hallway to
answer the call.  I continued to read.  I
continued to think of her in her rut, and I know
she'll come out of this smarter and sturdier, but
I dread the hurt it will cause her, and is
causing her now.  I've suggested she go to Hillel
or the JCC (Jewish Community Center) to meet
others her age, but how can she take a lame
suggestion like that from her mother.  She's on
Match dot com filling out a form so she might
find friends that way.  Just do it, Feyna.  Make
yourself less dependent on Alex.  Have other
choices.  I love you.

	Another choice

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

How Dweller got his name

	My first husband was really named Robert
Cliff.  I met him through Donna and Gareth Cook
who worked at LABINDUSTRIES while I was working
there.  He was Gareth's friend from Riverside
where they grew up together, a whole circle of
friends.  He told me many stories about his
upbringing in Southern California.  Riverside was
a college town and his father had a chiropractic
practice in Riverside.  His father was a rigid
son of a bastard, and took his chiropracting
seriously.  Any time Robert Cliff experienced the
slightest physical malady, a cold, say, or a
headache, his father would spread the poor kid
out on the table and give him a colonic.  That
could cure you of speaking about any illness
forever, though it wouldn't cure you of the
disease for a minute.  And if there were anything
else wrong with Bob, his father would get him in
the ol' chiropractic grip and adjust his spine,
because everything from appendicitis to
meningitis could be traced to the spine being out
of alignment.  So Bob was well adjusted, there's
the joke.

	He was an older brother to John, and
according to Bob, he was a rotten older brother,
a do-gooder and a tattle tale, a superior little
whiff of a saint in the making, intolerable.  He
was the good son, and John was the fuck-up.  That
was until Bob decided to marry the Jew girl and
John took on the mantle of favoured son.  I met
Robert Cliff as arranged through Donna and
Gareth.  They told me I had to meet this friend
of theirs.  He was an engineer, they said, but,
well, not an engineer, meaning he didn't live
down to the bad rumours about engineers, how
rigid and nerdy they were.  I had no expectations
of what an engineer might be like.  I just wanted
human.  Human looked awfully good from my perch
on the edge of sanity.  Just send me someone real
and not too terribly screwed up, and I'll be
happy.  We were supposed to meet at the house
that was in front of Donna and Gareth Cooks'.
Donna and Gareth lived in the cottage out back
with their seriously farting dog, Bogie.  Their
neighbors up front were having some sort of
gathering, and Bob and I were both invited to be
there at four o'clock.  But Bob didn't show up at
4:00.  In fact, as the clock ticked off he hadn't
shown up by five o'clock.  So I prepared to
leave.  I was heading down the front stairs, as
he headed up.  He introduced himself, and I
introduced myself, and it was pretty much love at
first sight.  What I liked about him was that he
was human, more than human, a nice guy.  As Donna
and Gareth put it, "The last of the  good guys".
I don't know whether he was the last, but he was
my first.  Compared to the men I was used to, Bob
Cliff was a superman, a gold encrusted hero, a
wise man and mahatma.  And from Bob's standpoint,
I was the only truly creative free spirit he'd
ever met.  We stopped on the front porch and
talked.  We continued to talk.  We talked some
more.  Donna and Gareth were thrilled that their
little introduction scheme had worked.  "Bob and
Tobie" became a word.

	It takes a while to meet all the friends
and relatives.  My family was in town and a loud
presence in my life.  His family, thank God, were
in Riverside and Los Angeles.  We didn't have to
meet them until we were solid enough for such
disasters.  One night, we were going to my
cousins, Yale and Anita Feder's, house.  Just for
a casual get together.  Social life was active.
Yale was the grandson of Bobka who was my
paternal grandfather's older sister.  That's how
I think it went.  I could be wrong.  They lived
on Corona Court, a little cul de sac in North
Berkeley.  They had two young daughters.  As we
drove up we could see a couple of kids playing in
the yard.  We parked the car, got out and walked
up the path to the front door.  One of the kids
looked at us and announced, "My name's Bob.  This
is my friend Robbie."  And we said hello.  Then
we rang the doorbell.  A stranger answered the
door.

	We introduced ourselves.  "I'm Tobie and this is Bob Cliff."

	"Sure thing," he said, "I'm Robert.  You
came to see Yale and Anita, right?"

	"Right"

	"They're in the kitchen with Bob.  I'll go get them."

	Another face appeared at the front door.  "Hi.  I'm Rob."

	Robert Cliff and I looked at each other.
And while Yale and Anita were being fetched, I
asked my Robert, "Do you have any other name
you'd like to be called?  You're more special
than this."

	Robert Cliff said, "When I was in high
school, they called me Cliff Dweller."

	"Well, how would you like to be called, 'Dweller'?"

	"I'd like that."

	And for that evening and all through our
love affair and our marriage, he was "Dweller".
When we split up and he found a new, perfect,
much more suited woman, he reverted back to
Robert.  But it wasn't long before Cathy started
calling him "Bert".  Names do matter.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA