TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 48

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Nov 3 08:51:04 PST 2006

November 3, 2000000006

Dear Old Friends,

	Feyna got a 95 on her mid-term in
California History.  This was especially
significant because she went into it so
frightened.  She was afraid she couldn't do it.
She'd never done anything like it before:  three
essay questions.  How could she manage?  She
shivered.  She cried.  Luckily enough, she has
special compensation because of her ADD, OCD,
anxiety and slow processing to take tests in a
quiet environment, and take twice the time that
the others take.  Without those accommodations,
she couldn't do it.  With them, she did her 95.
And you know why else this 95 is significant?
Well, Feyna has some friends who live out through
the tunnel into Walnut Creek and beyond.  They
are friends and Feyna makes it a threesome.  The
fellow of the group is just not a good friend to
have.  He tells Feyna to dress differently, wear
big slutty hoop earrings, shave under her arms,
and like rap music.  He's uncultured and proud of
it, eats nothing but junk food, and gets upset
over tiny imagined infractions, and then huffs
off, refusing to speak to her.  He and Feyna's
other friend, a girl she's been a good friend of
for five years, and this young man read over
Feyna's first paper for the class, and they both
talked her down.  She should go take a remedial
course.  Go back to high school.  The paper was
eighth grade stuff.  This upset Feyna no end.  It
took a lot of logic and encouragement to get her
out of that tailspin.  I read the paper, and I
said she'd do fine.  It was her first paper, and
it wasn't bad at all.  So, Feyna went into this
mid-term scared and low on self esteem.  It turns
out that her "friend", the one who wants her to
dress like a slut and prides himself in being a
top notch student, got only a 93.  He was jealous
and angry about it.  He wanted to win.  I try not
to tell Feyna about this boy.  He's bound to
cause her misery, already has, with his temper
tantrums and petty concerns.  He lies, too.  But
Feyna has to learn this herself.  So Mama keeps
her mouth shut.  I'm afraid Feyna will get hurt,
but that's not the worst that could happen.  She
could avoid getting hurt because of my sound
advice, and then not learn the lesson yet.  This
is rough on Mom.

	Another thing that was rough on Mom.

£££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££¢££££

How not to Build an Empire

	When I was seriously chasing the music
business around, I had an idea, a vague idea, of
what it could do for me if I were successful.  I
had a round about yen to be famous, but I didn't
desire or envision performing.  That's a strange
combination for someone making the rounds with
her demonstration tape.  But that's what were the
facts.  I never did like performing.

	When I was a kid, my father would force
me to play the cello for company.  I hated that.
I knew no one was interested in hearing the
middle child perform her latest etude, or a
snippet of some concerto she was working on.  But
when pressed to the wall with, "Wouldn't you all
like to hear Tobie play the cello?"  of course,
the guests had no choice but to say, "Yes".  And
so, after protestation and squirming, I would be
railroaded into getting out my cello.  I could
tell before I had the instrument out of its case
that the company would prefer to be elsewhere,
and I always resented my father for forcing me on
them.  A few times, I flatly refused and kept
refusing relentlessly, and when that worked,
there was no turning back.  He never asked me
again.  But that was one of my associations with
performance.  The other association was with my
father's thirst for performance.  He was always
performing in one way or another.  He always had
his eye out for what effect his current act was
having on people, how much he was being noticed,
and he did his best to be the constant center of
attention.  Even when he asked me to play cello
for guests, he  would stand, front and center,
making comments and stealing the show for
himself.  The whole routine of getting me to play
was an act from which he derived sufficient
attention to hold him for a while.

	So I hated performing and yet here I was
banging on the doors of the music business.
"Won't you listen to what I write?"  That is what
I loved doing, and what I was compelled to do --
write music.  Those simple folk tunes I'd started
out writing evolved into 20th century lieder  --
poems that I set to music.  I took myself very
seriously.  I wanted recognition and praise.  I
wanted to communicate what I had to say and sing
to the other humans.  As communication, on a
small enough scale, I could tolerate performance.
Oh, how did I expect to make it in the music biz?
It was another piece of illogical magic that I
sought.  However, I did get pretty close to
signing contracts with a number of record labels.
However, there was always some juncture at which
the effort failed.  I was not willing to do what
many young artists were willing to do.

	When I played my demonstration tape for
Alfred V. Brown, of New York City, the supreme
violist of the NBC orchestra, travelling musician
with the Beaux Arts Trio, he was immediately
interested in managing me.  He knew everyone who
was anyone.  He'd been around a long time.  The
first person he connected with was Phil Ramone.
Phil Ramone was (and probably still is) Paul
Simon's engineer/producer, and he got excited
about the tape.  I met Phil Ramone in New York
City on a trip there in 1974.  This was when he
vowed that I would be at the top of his new
label.  "We will put out a record, and maybe
everyone won't quite get it at first.  So we'll
put out another one, and another, and eventually,
you'll be a star.  I'll make you a star."  All I
had to do was wait for him to get his recording
company together.  Don't go play any clubs or
perform around (that was a relief to hear)
because he wanted me to be fresh and unknown, his
discovery.

	I was scheduled to meet Phil Ramone again
during Paul Simon's US tour in which he had one
night in Berkeley.  So, with my Paul Simon Tour
badge slapped on my chest, I came to the Berkeley
Community Theater for the rehearsal.  I can't say
I was nervous, because I wasn't.  Not about
meeting Paul Simon, anyway.  But I was anxious
about what would happen with Phil Ramone.  Al
Brown greeted me and set me down in a choice
chair in the auditorium.  There were only a few
other people in the theater.  I watched the
rehearsal.  I discovered that Art Garfunkle is
not tall.  It is that Paul Simon is very short.
And he was a bit green about the gills, neurotic
and generally displeased with himself.  At a
break, he hopped off the stage and walked right
up to me.  We shook hands.

	"You're Tobie Shapiro."

	"How did you know?"

	"The way Phil and Al have been talking
about  you, I'd recognize you in a crowd near the
subway at rush hour."

	He admitted he hadn't listened to my
tape.  He said he was afraid to.  So I promised
him I wouldn't listen to his recordings.  We made
a sort of deal.  And then Phil Ramone appeared
after everyone else went off to eat their tour
dinner.  And he was the one who remained after
the concert to chat with Al Brown and me.  He was
full of himself.  Full of a lot of other things,
too, I found out, but full of himself.  He was
staying in a hotel in San Francisco, and around
the time that everyone was breaking up and
turning in, he let it be known that he needed a
ride.  I had a car, and I saw no harm in it.  So
I offered to drive him into the city.  He
accepted quickly.  Phil was a large man, and took
up the passenger seat quite fully.  He was nice
enough not to smoke in the car.  He gave me
directions and we wound up at his drop-off place.

	"Why don't you come in?" he asked.

	I saw no harm in it, because I was a
fool.  What on earth is a nice Jewish girl doing
coming up to a big producer's hotel room to
visit?  Was I that naive?  And the answer is,
"Yes, I was that naive."  I was also that
hopeful.  I was hopeful that all I was being was
friendly.  I was hopeful that being friendly with
no more complications than affability would be
good for a record contract.  I was hopeful that
just being myself was plenty enough to cement a
business relationship.  I was hopeful that talent
and potential were all I needed to make a deal.

	We walked into his room.  There were two
queen sized beds, and a sitting room.  There was
a big television screen, and a phone and the
phone had a little light on it that was blinking.

	"We're going to be roommates!" said Phil
Ramone, delighted, which reminded me that I
needed to call my mother to let her know where I
was and when I'd be home.  I asked to use the
phone.  (There were no cell phones in the '70s).
"How wholesome," Phil brightened, and he winked
at me.  It began to dawn on me what he expected.
I skipped feeling like a fool to go straight for,
"How do I get myself out of this?"  I called my
mother, and before she could say anything much, I
told her that I had dropped Phil Ramone off at
his hotel and would be coming home immediately.
As soon as I said I'd be coming home immediately,
Phil lay down on his back on the bed and asked me
to take his shoes off for him.

	"Okay," I said, "But then, I have to go.  My mother expects me."

	And then he was snoring, his round belly
looming up from his prone body like the back of a
turtle rising up out of the ocean.  I closed the
door quietly behind me, and I rushed to my car.
All the way back over the bridge, I went over
what had happened and how I could have changed it
had I been the least bit savvy.  But I was not
the least bit savvy, and the thought never left
me that had I stayed in that hotel room to do
more than remove Phil Ramone's shoes, I would
have had a record contract.  Oh, no no no no.  It
would not have guaranteed a contract.  But
empires have been built on less.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA