TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 46

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Nov 1 08:11:50 PST 2006

November 1, 20000000006

Dear,

	All the ghosts and fairy princesses  got
out of their costumes and into their jammies.
They've had a good night's rest.  They are up
today not wanting to go to school, full of candy
and dizzy with the aftermath of Halloween.  Down
at my sister's house where the trick or treating
is so thick they get hundreds of kids coming by
all evening, they are sweeping up and sighing in
relief.  Here we got not one.  What was I doing
Halloween evening?  I was waiting for the
novocaine to wear off.

	See, I bit into something at lunch time
(the second bite) not knowing there was a bone in
it.  And I felt this CRUNCH.  Then tooth number
10 was loose and it hurt a lot.  The dentist is
good.  He did some sleuth work to figure out what
I'd done.  I'd broken the bone around the tooth,
which is why it was loose.  He had to reposition
it and splint it to the teeth on either side of
it so that it would remain stationary while the
bone heals.  Another piece of excitement, don't
you know.  It's positively dazzling the little
things that are happening to me.

	This happened to me.

**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**¡**

	Linda Langfeld was my best friend in the
first, second, and third grades.  She lived in a
house on the East West Highway in Silver Spring,
Maryland.  Next to her house was a house with an
interesting idea for landscape architecture.
There were two wagon wheels, painted flat white,
imbedded half way in the gentle hill that was the
front lawn.  That is how I knew which house was
Linda's.  Linda had an older brother, Stanley.
Stanley was a pain in the ass for a brother.  He
teased Linda, and teased me for being her friend.
She was, "Lame-O", and, "Ugly", and, "Stupid".
Those were his favourite names for her.

	I went to Linda's house after school a
lot.  That is where my mother often found me when
I didn't show up right after school was out.
When I didn't come right home, my mother would
get on the phone and call the parents of all my
friends.  She'd go down the class list until she
found me.  I never bothered making a play date.
Things were different when I was a kid.  Parents
didn't keep such close tabs on their children.
People weren't afraid of the hillside strangler,
or that there might be predators roaming the
streets looking for young kids to murder.  So we
were freer to run around, wander off, get a
little lost.  It taught us a lot about life.

	Linda's father, Millard, had a model
train set in the basement.  It was set up on a
huge table and had tiny trees and houses, tiny
street lights, tiny people at the tiny train
stations, and tiny stores along the tracks.  The
trains were Lionel, the only name I ever learned
about with model trains.  The engines were exact
duplicates of the real ones, and the machinery
operated just like the big trains.  I'd never
seen a big train, except on television in the
wild west.  But somehow I knew this was the
smaller version.  Mr. Langfeld never let Linda or
Stanley play with the trains unsupervised.  It
was his toy, even though, as I understand it, the
train set had been given to Stanley for Channukah
one year.

	From my mother, years after the fact, I
learned that Mr. and Mrs. Langfeld were
Republicans.  She quoted Mr. Langfeld as saying
that they were never so happy as when Franklin
Roosevelt died.  This made the Langfelds an alien
species to our pinko liberal FDR loving family.
My mother worshipped FDR, a whole concept that is
foreign to me: worshipping a President.  Who
could imagine?

	Once, when I was at Linda's house for an
overnight, I borrowed one of her sweaters.  It
was a long sleeved woolen sweater.  And this is
when I discovered I was allergic to wool.  I
began to complain to Mrs. Langfeld that I itched
all over under the sweater.  After a while, she
believed me, and she removed the sweater.  There,
on my body, was a red imprint of the weave, every
stitch a red welt on my skin.  You could have
learned to knit studying me.

	I don't remember what mischief Linda and
I got into, nor how we played, nor what we had in
common besides detesting and fearing Stanley.
Linda brought me into the bathroom while she was
sitting on the toilet.  We were joking around and
talking when Stanley burst in with a couple of
his friends.  He introduced Linda to his friends
and was awfully proud of himself for pulling this
stunt.  Linda was humiliated, and I was incensed.
The next time I came over, Linda told me we were
going to get even.  We waited until Stanley went
into the bathroom.  Then we gave him some time to
get comfortable, and barged in.  He was sitting
on the toilet with the clothes hamper in front of
him.  On top of the clothes hamper was a
typewriter with one crisp piece of white paper in
it.  Stanley was typing something.  We both
leaned against the wall watching him sit there
being embarrassed and extremely angry.  But he
was in the middle of some important business and
couldn't act on his anger.

	Five years after we left Maryland, I
received a letter from Linda Langfeld.  In it,
she'd enclosed a picture of herself.  She had a
pouffed up hair do with a flip at the ends.  She
had her own personal letter head, but she'd
crossed out the "i" in Linda and replaced it with
a "y".  Lynda.  We all have to have our identity.
I probably didn't write back, not because I
wasn't interested, but because I was busy with my
life in Berkeley, California, and I didn't know
what to say to the grown up girl in the
photograph.  When we left Maryland, I did some
calculations in my head and figured that by the
time I was 14, I would have spent half my life in
Maryland and half my life on the west coast.  I
dreaded that day.  It would feel disloyal to
Maryland to go on with the scales tipped in
favour of the west coast.  But by the time I was
14, and got the letter from Lynda, I was
satisfied with Berkeley, and quite at home on the
west coast.  Years later, I wondered what
happened to Lynda during the Vietnam war era,
when hippies roamed the earth, and my whole
generation was going wiggy.  It would have been
an effective rebellion to have taken up with the
long hair, grass smoking, war protesting, acid
taking social revolution.  But I didn't know how
much rebellion was instilled in Lynda.  We all do
what we have to do to grow up and out.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA