TheBanyanTree: Under the Big Top

maria gibson spaceforone at gmail.com
Sat May 13 07:42:42 PDT 2006

I had no idea.  Seems I have a natural affinity for juggling.  Sure,
everyone juggles, some better than others.  Best down in pairs but can
actually be tuned as a fine art on one's own, should the need or want
arise.  So there I was, lo those many years, juggling the usual for me.
Pins, balls and oranges.  I got better at it; of that there is no doubt.
Often wondered as to the possibility of adding to the display but when one
is given prime pins, fancy balls and gift set quality oranges, it's greedy
to wonder.  So wonder and curiosity were shoved aside for contentment.
Mostly.  Then came the day I picked up a set of limes and, well, wow, I was
pretty good at it even with no practice or fore knowledge.  Limes worked
alright for the most part but, you know, once you add limes when previously
you were lime-less, there is no more setting aside wonder and curiosity.
The cat, the fruit, is out of the bag by then and the yearning can be quite
overwhelming.  Juggling cats is outlawed in a lot of states, however, not to
mention frowned upon by society at large, but with so much at one's
disposal, there isn't a lot of need to wander that far from home.

Spinning plates on toe tips while keeping pins, limes, lamps and an easy
chair all airborne, now that's talent, and to repeat it on command is
apparently revered.  The crowd oohs and aahs and appreciation abounds.
Accolades and heart stopping standing ovations.  Irresistible.  Powerfully
intriguing.  Balls and oranges have not lost their appeal, no, but there is
so much more to show now and I can't imagine not continuing exploration as
time moves on.  Life is still pretty simple these days in most ways but I
get to juggle a lot more and in so many new varieties.  This in itself is
frowned upon by society at large, yes, and must be done carefully and
responsibly but is also a mostly private venture and so society at large
need not know I'm a juggling savant, as it were.  I always knew this deep in
my heart, though.

It's just a shame I can't add it to my resume.

Maria