TheBanyanTree: Stuff, was "Living Space"

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon May 1 09:58:30 PDT 2006

I, too, come from a long line of hoarders. I agree that it partly comes from
some growing up during the Depression, and saving everything. Right down to
rubberbands, bread ties, cigar boxes (to hold other the rubberbands and bread
ties, of course)

I have books: Robert Payson Terhune collie stories, volumes of them, and
horse novels, and Classics that came beautifully illustrated and boxed for
display, and hardly ever read.I have paperbacks that I have read and liked. "I'll
keep it and read it again," I always say.  I also have my mother's favorite
books, far too many to fit into one large bookcase. They are now stuffed,
double-rows, into my bookcase, and in cartons in front of the bookcase. I went through
them recently, and took two cartons to the local used bookstore. I STILL have
too many blocking passage through the room and creating a traffic jam
whereever I try to keep them.

I am a keeper of gifts never used, but I loved the giver enough to hang onto
the useless gift. I cannot bear to throw away my mother's every day dishes.  I
have my father's file kept on our old house, the one they bought for $2,500
right after they were married, more than half a century ago. I have the stuffed
Koala Bear sent to my mother from her brother when he was a bomber pilot and
stationed in New Zealand during WWII (and was lost at sea shortly after) I
have a box of the neighborhood "newspaper" I wrote and distributed through out
our block when I was . .ten. I have my brother's baby footprint, as was given by
the hospital in that era. I have the hub-cap cover from my first race car,
back when I was "the lady in red," in a bright red race car. The car was totaled
in a race accident, but I kept the hub cap cover. I have a pink plaster hippo
made by my beloved first daughter in a school art class. I have a
hand-crocheted afghan my grandmother made for a bed at the Lake Place. I have the doll
house my father made for me for my seventh birthday, complete with all the tiny
furniture and small family.

I need a warehouse for all the momentos of my life.

When I die, I take pity on those who must go through my "stuff".

NancyLee