TheBanyanTree: A Saturday Outdoors / Dead Dog Tired

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 18 18:08:20 PST 2006

   This week's saturday found the entire family working outside on one project
or another.

   My son cut the grass at the front of the house and I finished it by cutting
the sides and the back.  Yep, it's growing now and the ritual of the weekly
lawn care ceremony has begun even though all the trees are not yet in leaf.

   The mimosas are not budding but the sweetgums, the willow, oaks, the china
berries are all budding and soon to be putting out the leaves. I see azaleas
with some early buds and they will bloom in the next week.  There's still no
sign of buds on the dogwoods.

   We trimmed trees, cut back shrubs, cleared brush, threw away junk that had
accumulated around the back yard over the last year and got things ready for
spring which arrives officially in our hemisphere in 2 days with the advent
of the vernal equinox.

  There was two weeks of work to do outside but we managed to do a week's
worth in a day.  Guess who's tired now?  Yep, us -- the whole of us, in fact.

   The gardenias are trimmed and so is the heavenly bamboo.  Tomorrow I'll use
the spreader and put out lime and fertilizer on the lawn.  We'll all get back
at it and, with some luck, and bended backs, a with more than a little
sweat, and scrapes, and scratches we'll have two weeks of work behind us, done
in all of two days.

  bd
    ---