TheBanyanTree: travels with a purpose 6

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Fri Mar 10 19:39:34 PST 2006

Henry Lawson wrote a story once, where a man's sense of being
Australian, his nostalgia for his homeland, was aroused by the smell of
gum wood burning.  Wood smoke is distinctive enough, but if you have
lived in Australia, you will also know the smell of smoke from a
Eucalyptus fire.  That was what I could smell as I walked along the
upper deck, because I was now well above the smoke stacks of the two
steamers that were getting ready below.

We forget, in these modern days, that it took time to raise steam.  An
hour before the first cruise, the boiler fires were alight and being
stoked.  I looked down for the towing posts used to haul barges: these
were high on the boats to allow the boat and its crew to move about
freely under the tow line, but the posts were absent on the two boats
there.  Down the wharf, there was a barge with outriggers and several
logs attached, but I realised it was just there for show.

There were timber bollards on the boat, and looking up the wharf from
the deck, I could see bollards at various levels, designed to cater for
varying water levels.  Around the side of the deck, iron posts held four
strands of chain to keep the passengers on board, and some more
interesting chains that operated the rudder.  One end of the chain was
attached to the deck, from which it ran over a pulley on a stout timber
attached to the rudder, then back to the deck and into a channel.

I followed the trail, along the deck, past the engine, around a pulley,
and up to the wheelhouse where it passed around a shaft attached to the
wheel, and on down the other side.  The shaft also attached to what I
found out later was a reduction gear from a 1930s car's windscreen
wiper: this operated as a tell-tale to indicate the rudder's position.
When a small needle was straight up and down, the rudder was amidships.

The skipper will know which spoke of his wheel should be at the top for
straight ahead, but a single revolution either way would be enough to
carry the boat off-course.  In reality, the skipper watches a distant
object, and corrects instantly for any divergence, but at low speeds and
in tight positions, the tell-tale offers some extra insurance.

The bank at the wharf is remarkably high, and since the last flood, rain
has been at play.  In the mud, series of parallel ridges have been
scored, where rain has dripped between the deck slabs and splashed soil
away.  Not all the slabs go the same way, so until you realise the
cause, there is a curious variation in direction that makes no sense.

Redgum, the timber of preference on the river, is tough, but even when
boats are made of redgum, the snags in the river are made of the same
stuff, and rocks are almost as solid, so steel plating was often used,
but only above the waterline, which puzzles me a little.  Maybe they
needed access to those timbers to caulk them?  More research is needed,
but so far, it has offered no answers.

The side of the hull is protected by a rubbing strake, a strip of
timber, easily replaced, and intended to take most of the wear and tear
of being around boats, logs and other inanimate things.

The crew consisted of a skipper, mate, engineer, cook, and deckhands.
If barges were involved, each of those needed at least one person to
handle them.

The hulls were massive, and our craft, 'Pevensey', is 111 feet and 120
tons (these old craft operate in old units, it seems), with holds fore
and aft, dropping down 6 to 8 feet, but some cargo would sometimes be on
deck if it was about to be dropped off.  Even fully laden, few of the
vessels drew more than four feet, but what cargoes they carried!  At
least once, an elephant was transported on a steamer, but more common
cargoes included riveted iron boxes, filled with breakables or
valuables, and sealed to make pilfering obvious.  China, fabric, pottery
and tea would be carried in these boxes, which also served to protect
the cargo from water damage.

Wool is incredibly bulky stuff to move, so hydraulic presses were used
to cram as much as possible into bales that were then sewn shut, using
needles the size of marlin spikes.  In the days before bulk handling,
wheat was poured into bags that were sewn shut with similar needles.
You can still buy them, though I have used one more in cleaning up
fossil fish at Canowindra: they make excellent probes for cleaning away
any matrix from the slabs of Devonian fish that are seen there.

The wool bales and what bags were heavy and bulky, but wool bales could
withstand rain, so they could be arranged on a barge, five or six tiers
high, always leaning in, and allowing access to the hull in case of
need.  The wool barges were a hazard on windy stretches, because even
with some compression, they were still 20 feet or more high, giant
sails, catching the wind that whistled across the plain.  The wind would
keep one direction, but as the river meandered, a headwind could become
a sidewind, could become a tailwind.

Today, we fail to appreciate how steam power revolutionised the world.
Australia was rich – at one time, gold and farming gave Australia the
world's highest per capita income, and that made getting workers a
challenge, so people sent to England for labour-saving steam engines
that could pull out stumps, plough fields, winch cargoes, turn
paddle-wheels, power sawmills and shearing sheds, drive mills, smooth
roads and pump water.

Right now, my interest is mainly with the paddle wheels.  Most of the
vessels were side-wheelers, because this allowed the engine to be placed
amidships with a shaft that connected to both paddle wheels.  There were
no clutches that could be used to disengage one wheel to assist in
steering, no gear boxes to reverse the thrust on one wheel, though a
special fitting, the "Stephenson link" was always fitted to engines when
they were placed in boats, to allow the direction to be reversed.  On
shore, these engines usually used a belt drive that could be used to
reverse the direction just by twisting the belt, but not on the water.

The barges were another reason for not using stern-wheelers, as a barge
with a tailwind would probably not damage the massive rudder and
sternpost, but a paddle wheel was always light and vulnerable.  With the
stern wheel offering a flat target, any surging barge would almost
certainly inflict damage on the paddles.

The skipper uses bells in the wheelhouse, first a bell for attention,
then two for astern, or one for forward.  Turning the boat around,
heading downstream is easy.  The bow is poked gently into the mud at an
angle, then we wait while the current carries the stern around, then we
go gently astern, out into the current in midstream, then ahead once
again, straightening up as we go.

The paddles beat on the water about seven times a second, and the engine
seems to be on about a 2-second cycle.  Now I will need to analyse my
photos and see if there were, as I surmise, around 14 paddles on the
wheel.  By now, we were back at the wharf, and I wandered up High Street
to the bakery, and ate a meat pie with a cup of coffee, looking out over
the Campaspe River.  It was time to hit the library, and devour their
local history collection, but you have already had the benefit of that.

Then it was off to Oscar W's (http://www.oscarws.com.au/) for dinner
before settling my bill and taking an early night, ready for a drive of
800 km, 500 miles, back home.  Somehow, I had committed to being home to
drive 170 km on the Saturday to see a concert in the vineyards north of
Sydney.  A pity, as I would have preferred to stay and drink more of
Fred Pizzini's Sangiovese, but the forecast was for 37 degrees, body
temperature of live bodies, and I wanted to remain as one of those.

But I made some notes for the return trip to Echuca and Oscar W's . . .

peter

--

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis, Manly, the birthplace of Australian surfing
  /     \   feral word herder, also herbal remedies, bespoke fish