TheBanyanTree: Raw Oyster Eater #2

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Thu Mar 9 08:31:56 PST 2006

This reminds me of another story...ha ha!

I never could do the raw thing and I'm originally from the Eastern
Shore area.  They shamed me for it many times.  I could do steamed,
boiled, broiled, fried...whatever, but never raw.

A few years ago I went to a very swank rooftop restaurant here in the
Berkshires and the manager was a friend of mine.  He bought our table
complimentary raw oysters.  I thanked him and shook my head.  "No
thanks, I don't do raw."  I said.

He said, "you will tonight."  He had the waitress bring over a bottle
of a very old scotch and an eyedropper.  They put an eyedropper full of
scotch on each oyster and a tad of the red horseradish sauce.  I was
shakey but my brag has always been, I'll try anything once.  He reminded
me of this and told me how to pop them to the back of my mouth, swallow
and savor.

Now,  I don't even like scotch, so I was doubtful...but let me tell
you...it was WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS!!!!

It is the only way I'll eat raw oysters or do scotch!

Sharon

>>> <NancyIee at aol.com> 3/9/2006 11:21:26 AM >>>

I can't eat the hot stuff . .but to slightly change the subject, I love
raw oysters.  When my youngest daughter was five, I took her to a place
near the beach that served "Happy Hour Oysters" They were a dime apiece
from four to five o'clock . .PM.

The first dozen, I shared with her, not knowing if she could bring
herself to swallow.  She loved them. After the first dozen, I bought two
more dozen, one for her, one for me.  Then another two dozen.  The
waitresses and shucker (the guy who opens the oysters ) came over to
watch this tiny, small-for-her-age girl slipping oysters into her mouth
as fast as she could swallow.

To this day, when she and I get together and there's an oyster bar
within easy drive, we go thee and pig out.

NancyLee