TheBanyanTree: Fire Eater #2

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Mar 8 10:27:04 PST 2006

I'm with you, Tobie...the hotter the better.  My father was like that
and out of five children, I am the only one that loves the hot stuff.
My children, on the other hand, love the hot stuff as well.  Who can
account for taste.

I had the cook in one of my favorite 'wing' hangouts try to 'hot me
out' because I kept complaining that the wings were too mild when I had
ordered 'hottest' from the menu.  Because I was a woman, he told the
waitress that I probably couldn't handle it.  I assured her I could and
sent the weak ones back.  He sent me his hottest at last, I ate them,
finished them, washed them back with a cold, icy brew and have been
going back ever since.  The cook came out and watched me and when I
waved a wing at him, he just shook his head and went back into the
kitchen.  Now when he sees me come in, he starts the hottest right away.
No questions (or excuses)!

And I love the hot mustard (the real stuff) and the hot oils in Asian
cooking as well, but my fave is Korean cooking.  Yum!  Hot and
spicy...just the way I like it.

Sharon

>>> Tobie Shapiro <tobie at shpilchas.net> 3/8/2006 12:21:12 PM >>>

March 8, 20000000000006

Dear Hot Stuffs,

    Yesterday, on impulse, I grabbed a jar of hot, spicy kim chee
from the shelf in the local Safeway, and rushed it home.  I took out
a pair of chopsticks and ravaged that poor jar.  Now I am suffering
for my gluttony, though eating three quarters of a jar of rotten
cabbage can hardly be called gluttony.  I just love the stuff.
Spicy.  Spice.  Hot.  Hotter.

    Many years ago, I was innocently dining in a Chinese
restaurant, all by myself, with my journal spread out on the table
next to me.  I'd take a bite, then write a bit, take a bite, then
write a bit.  What I had ordered was a garlic smothered squid dish
served cold.  It was maybe a whole bulb of garlic chopped up,
combined with schezwan pepper corn powder.  Then boiling sesame oil
is poured over it, and it sizzles.  Then it's cooled.  The squid is
cut up, raw, and laid out on a platter, and the sauce is blanketed
over it.  The squid gets cooked by the garlic marinade, like ceviche
gets cooked by lime juice.  The garlic squid is a simple dish.
Firey.  Scrumptious.  I had taken half the little bucket of spiced
black bean hot oil that sat on each table, and I'd distributed it
over the garlic sauce.  So it was a doubly hot meal.  I was enjoying
it immensely, when the owner of the restaurant came up to me, and
told me I used too much hot sauce.

    "No.  I don't," I insisted, with an apology in my voice.
"It's delicious.  I love hot.  It's good for you."  The owner didn't
continue a lecture, or tell me that there was, for instance, too much
yang in the garlic and black bean hot oil, or that it would get in
the middle of my chi and kick it around.  He just repeated his
caveat, "Too much hot sauce," and walked away, shaking his head.

    What is it about spicy?  Some people love it, and some people
absolutely cannot abide it.  Do we ever see puppies or horses,
alligators or parakeets craving spicy foods?  And human babies have
to be trained to like it.  I once was told that in India, mothers
start training their children when they are infants by giving them a
pepper a day.  It's probably an urban legend, so I don't believe it.
Afterall, my mother never stuffed me with peppers, and I grew up to
be a fire eater.  There is something tingling and life affirming
about the heat in my mouth after eating hot food.  It isn't painful.
It has the elements of pain; I can see that.  But it isn't painful in
the least.

    There is a friendly agreement between the hot folks and the
bland folks.  It's very civilized, unlike religious or political
disagreements.  We don't spike your food, and you don't tell us to
stick our heads in a bucket of cold water.  We get along, but we look
sideways at each other wondering, wondering.  What do they see in it?

    Years ago, my doctor prescribed a painkiller called Stadol
for my chronic neck pain.  I'd ruptured a disc in my cervical spine
and the pain just never went away.  Stadol is a nasal spray, and it's
quite potent, at first, of course.  It was advertised as being less
habitualizing than other pain meds, and the effect comes on more
immediately, since the drug is absorbed by the mucous membranes and
goes directly into the bloodstream.  The Stadol was quite effective,
at first, of course.  It also knocked me out.  But I got used to it.
(Always watch out for that!)

    There was a strange side effect.  Suddenly, for the first
time in memory, I could not tolerate spicy food.  The effect was
profound.  I couldn't even handle tooth paste.  It burned my mouth.
And that burning sensation was no longer pleasant.  It was just pain,
and I couldn't bear it.  I took this drug for about six years before
it presented its own problems and I had to wean myself off of it.
Now I deal with the chronic pain by just dealing with it.  Look, ma!
No pharmaceuticals!  And my tolerance, naye, craving for hot food
returned as soon as I was off the Stadol.  Of course there will be no
entry in the PDR about that strange side effect.  I chalk it up to
one of the bizarre end-of-the-bell-curve behaviours that my body is
so fond of.

    I still have to ask myself about that kim chee, though.  And
why I couldn't have eaten just a quarter of the jar, instead of three
quarters.   It just called to me, and continued to call to me as I
poked at it with my chopsticks and singed the inner surface of my
mouth.  Evenly all around.  That happy sensation.

    Warmly,

    Tobie
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro